“Good thing gone bad.”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Honestly, I am sad to write this review of my one-time favorite Noho restaurant, India House. It used to be a reliable source of good Indian food, but it has gone downhill --- drastically, I might add. My dining companion and I ordered garlic-rosemary naan, "luscious lobster masala (their special dish)," and aloo gobhi. The complimentary papadum was good, but alas, it turned out to be the only enjoyable thing in my entire meal this evening. The garlic-rosemary naan, which sounded good on the menu, was terrible. The texture was off, and it tasted aggressively of raw garlic. What puzzled me the most was that the naan did not come with the usual accompaniment of dipping sauces (chutney tray) as it did in the past. When asked, the waiter told me that we had to order it separately ($3.75 extra) now. OK, so we ordered the chutney tray and some plain naan, hoping that plain naan would be better. No such luck. The plain naan had the same lackluster texture of the garlic-rosemary naan, and came more or less lukewarm. Not a good sign.

The entrees did not help the matter, either, unfortunately. The "luscious lobster masala," which I enjoyed before, was now an insult of a dish containing five small pieces of past-prime lobster sitting in a big plate of creamy sauce. The worst disappointment was Aloo gobhi, my usual favorite Indian vegetarian dish. It was so unrecognizable that I had to ask the waiter if he mixed up an order. There is no reason why aloo gobhi should be presented as a big, creamy mush. The accompanying rice was also lukewarm, which did not help the situation.

I am sorry to see this restaurant go downhill like this since I had many enjoyable meals in the past. However, after tonight's disaster, I will not be returning to it anytime soon.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

I couldn't have been more impressed by India House. A party of 4 friends went last night to celebrate one of our birthdays. All the staff were friendly, engaging and helpful. The food was fantastic, and the selections were extensive. There were some unusual items that I had never seen at other Indian restaurants. They brought the "birthday girl" a serving of gulab jamun, complete with a candle, which was a very nice touch.

I would go back to Indian House in a heartbeat.

1  Thank LeslieRMH
Reviewed November 26, 2012

An unusual dining experience with a family that obviously cares about its customers. We felt like we were dining in an Indian home, and the food was of homemade quality; tasty, spicy, and quite affordable. The table with intricate designs beneath the glass top was unlike anything we'd seen, the service was attentive, and the food authentic. Highly recommended!

1  Thank MisterJJ
Reviewed November 4, 2012

The food is excellent and inventive, with plenty of vegetarian choices and meat-based choices. The wait-staff are friendly and helpful. The only drawback is the noise -- it can be hard for older people to hear if it gets at all crowded.

1  Thank Nancy-the-reader
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I'm not very well-versed in Indian cuisine, but the man who took our order was very helpful. Also, I don't eat dark meat, so he was happy to customize my order to all white meat chicken, and the curry was FANTASTIC. I will go back next time I treat myself!

1  Thank HadleyHoJoFOM