“Excellent!!!”
Review of La Fiorentina

La Fiorentina
Ranked #3 of 8 Dessert in Northampton
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I was so pleased to find this La Fiorentina in Northampton during my last trip to Western Mass. I typically make the trek to Springfield for their out of this world chocolate covered cannoli. I have been in love with their cannoli for decades! They use hazelnut instead of the traditional pistachio and have the creamiest ricotta mixture! Others in my family enjoy their mini torts and custard pies. So good to see this long standing bakery flourishing!

1  Thank damellie

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Cute italian bakery in western mass. They have all the traditional Italian pastries and coffee drinks. Their prices are good and it's a nice place to stop and catch up with a friend or take someone after a night out on the town. Most of the tables are small so it's not build for large parties, but the dining area itself is very spacious.

1  Thank Funnybones413
Reviewed September 2, 2013

It's not that the pastries and cookies we had were terrible. It's that they were overshadowed by the poor, frazzled, rude, harried service.

We went in late on a Thursday night (August 22, 2013). Maybe 20 minutes before closing. The two women working there were obviously very eager to pack it in for the day. One had emptied almost all of the pastry cases, so we had to order what was left behind the glass or strain our eyes to see what she had placed on the trays, which she had just been about to ship into the back room when we walked in. I felt as though she was in some sort of panic mode.

It occurred to me that if we didn't hurry up and order in ten seconds or less that she might have to resist an urge to smack us in the face.

No coffee was available for purchase, likely because the two employees didn't want to be bothered with that either. Not cool.

When we took a table to eat what we had just purchased, the frazzled employee's co-worker started putting chairs on top of tables. Three tables, including ours, were occupied. I felt so fortunate that she let us continue sitting and eating. Thank you for that special treatment. I also love looking at dirty chair legs as I eat the food that I just purchased. It's a wonderful feeling.

Whoever owns or manages La Fiorentina needs to explain to their employees the meaning of business hours. When a shop or restaurant is open, it's open. You don't all but close before the end of business hours because you have some place better to go. When I'm spending hard-earned money in your bakery, don't make me feel like I am inconveniencing you or putting you out by ordering food and eating it. Business hours are for serving customers, not for putting the food away for the day or cleaning out the coffee maker. Clean up after closing. Your workday ends at the end of working hours, not business hours.

I'd write something about what we ate and how it tasted, but that memory is gone. How could I think about the food when I so feared that my seat would be pulled out from underneath me?

1  Thank Citizen_of_Amherst
Reviewed May 30, 2013

For years I have had desserts at La Fiorentina's when it was in Spfld in 1981 my sister ordered my wedding cake. When I lived in W Spfld in the early 1990s my son & I would go do wash & order a slice of heaven with coffee. I had no idea that my son thought are best times together were while having a dessert & coffee at LaFiorenta. This Bakery is amazing. It has the best desserts around. I recommend this to everyone.

1  Thank Stormy013
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Northampton is a small, walkable and quaint city that is known for its restaurants and cafes. La Fiorentina is a small Italian pastry shop that fits perfectly in these surroundings. Too bad it stinks.

Here are my 3 issues:

1-wannabe italian: Since there are not many other pastry shops in the area, La Fiorentina has no real competition. So unless you try almond cookies (as just one example) from the North End in Boston and then have La Fiorentina, you can almost taste the lack of effort... And that bothers me the most... how it appears that they know they can get away with it. I once had the tiramisu in a plastic cup and all I tasted was sweet sponge, drenched in rum.

2-cost: For me the cannoli and the coffee ended up being the only two things I find to be decent. But the price went up from $1.75 each to $2.90 within a short period f time. So now, even the cannoli s are not worth it. Everything is overpriced for the overall experience, really.

They have since employed a worker who is from Italy. She seems nice- nothing against her, but it makes me laugh to think they are trying to heighten the italianess of the place.

3-wait: Every time I would go in there, I always waited. Waited long even when there were 3 employees behind the counter.... Always during odd hours, when its not at all busy, I have always had to wait to be served.

I will no longer be going to La Fiorentina.
Sorry.