“Don't waste your time here”
Review of Paul & Elizabeth's

Paul & Elizabeth's
Ranked #3 of 150 Restaurants in Northampton
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 20, 2013

The food was awful. I ordered pan fried vegetables and tofu--very greasy, salty, and the vegetables and noodles were over cooked. There was a paucity of noodles. I guess the kitchen must have been running low on noodles even though we weren't dining late in the evening. My husband ordered vegetarian fried rice--basically a plate consisting mostly of brown rice and very few vegetables. We both noticed that the food was piping hot when it was served--probably prepared earlier in the day in batch quantity and reheated in a microwave. The portions were ridiculously small for the fees charged. I honestly don't know how this place stays in business. Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere.

3  Thank loveslife65

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Had dinner here with my girlfriend, the service is friendly not experienced, the food OK. They use too much oil and salt for my taste. Good all around vegitarian food. No prizes given here...

2  Thank Caspersfarm
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This restaurant had great reviews and we had high hopes. The food was actually pretty good but the restaurant seems to suffer from the Northampton Syndrome. The wait staff seemed very put out that we would expect things like food and water. Get over yourselves and start taking care of your customers like the high-end restaurant that you purport to be. I don't mind digging deep into my wallet if you earn it.

2  Thank rjbouch
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My wife and I were traveling north to Burlington, VT., and stopped in Northampton for lunch having just gotten off the plane at Bradley. We came across Paul & Elizabeth's and what an EXCEPTIONAL experience. The food was fresh and the service friendly. I am a big fan of scrod and have difficulty getting it outside of New England. The scrod was fresh, well-cooked and the side dishes were delightful as well. I still cannot believe the price. A meal like this would be at least two times what we were charged. Reasonable doesn't even address the cost. I won't say they were giving the meal away BUT it was a great meal with fresh, well-cooked dishes at an incredibly inexpensive price with friendly wait staff. If you are in the Northampton area, don't miss this find!

2  Thank ReachOutoftheDark
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Northampton is a "lib kind of town." So, it makes total sense that Paul & Elizabeth's has made a home here for 30+ years. If you could make a case for a restaurant being "politically correct," you just might use this establishment - in this city - as an excellent example: healthy; natural; organic; vegetarian; oh, so nice, proper and diverse!

We were a party of 10 family members here for lunch last Thursday. The restaurant itself is a welcoming space, the service was excellent, and the food seemed to be to everyone's liking. Although, nothing on any plate jumped out to me or my wife and said: "TASTE ME! I am SOOOOO GOOD! You just have to TASTE ME!" Full Disclosure: to be fair, we really couldn't see ALL the PLATES, since we were seated at the end of a long table. But, you get my drift, eh?

I had a dish from the dinner menu, which is one of my sister's - a local - favorites: Pan Fried Noodles and Vegetables with Tofu. It was nice and healthy and good, with lots of fresh veggie stuff. A good-sized portion, too. If you're a tree-hugger type, or don't like eating things with eyes, this might be a good choice for you.

My wife had the Smoked Salmon Wrap. It was fresh and tasty. Another nice portion with french fries that were very good! Her take was that the wrap was a "tad dry," and could have used a bit more sauce. I tried it. I liked it.

I also had a bite of my other sister's - another local - Swordfish Steak, which - if I remember correctly - was a Luncheon Special. It was good; moist with a nice flavor. Well prepared for Swordfish, which can sometimes be on the dry side for a not-so-talented chef.

I enjoyed a glass of Peppermint Hibiscus iced tea with my lunch. Amy opted for water, because the restaurant does not offer regular iced tea or iced coffee. She was given an option of regular coffee with a glass of ice. No thank you!

Given our experience - just the two of us - we probably would be giving Paul & Elizabeth's a solid 3.75 Stars for our first-time luncheon visit. So, this review is rounded-up to a 4 just for TripAdvisor ratings!

Paul & Elizabeth's has plenty of fans and lots of history on its side. If you're in the area and want to feel good about yourself, give it a try!

1  Thank M&ALongGrove