“Wonderful food”

Cuisines: Moroccan
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Picked this place to eat with a friend because of its high rating on TripAdvisor (we're working our way down the listings) and it lived up to its rating. The atmosphere is very casual, as described. It wasn't too crowded when we went. The wait staff was very pleasant, knowledgeable. We want to go back again.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife and I took a Sunday drive to "Noho" and decided to stop in the Amanouz Cafe based on the chance to have some Moroccan food and the good reviews on Tripadvisor. Our experience was mixed. The venue is clean but hardly attractive. It is not air conditioned, and on a very warm summer afternoon, it was mildly uncomfortable. It is hard to comment on the service because it hardly exists. Patrons go to a counter to order, and while someone brings the food to the table, patrons are also expected to clean up their own tables when leaving. I generally wouldn't mark them down for that, but it does lead to some issues. For example, we wanted to order appetizers and two main dishes, but that meant to avoid having everything come out at once, going to the order counter twice and paying twice. Since drinks were mostly selected from a glass door cooler and paid for, that also meant paying other times if you wanted a second drink. There was Moroccan tea available, which we ordered (and which was quite good), but we had to flag down one of the "food-bringers" to get her to bring some. Similarly, any questions about the menu involved either trips to the counter or flagging down an employee. Some of the items on the menu and the specials menu, such as "loubia" are listed without further explanation. Happily, when we did get someones attention, everyone was pleasant and helpful. As for the food, things began well, then dropped off. We started with Amanouz royal feast (humus, falafel, tabbouleh, musaka and pita bread , $7) and a vegetable cheese burek (egg plant, tomoato, and other broiled veggies and cheese on a filo crust, $3.50). The royal feats as plentiful and tasty. The burek was pretty good size and also good, although there was little cheese evident. These two were big enough so that we decided to split just one main dish. Based on an earlier reviewer's comment, we ordered the tagine fez (a stew of lamb, prunes, onions, peas and hard-boiled egg, $13). It came with a warm baguette. It was more interesting than good. It main failing was that there was very, very little lamb (one thin, largely stripped shank), and what meat here was was very fatty. By contrast, there were many prunes. That might have worked better if there had been more lamb, but soon, what amounted to prune stew, got a bit tiring. We were glad we tried the Amanouz, but will eat elsewhere during our next visit to Northampton.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Traditional Moroccan dishes (my favorite is Tagine Fez) served in informal setting. It's all about the sauce! Imagine lamb or chicken, prunes, olives, soaked in a spice-filled gravy served over cous cous or rice or lentils. Tabouleh salad is my cold favorite (mix it with hummus on pita bread for an amazing combination). Wonderful Middle Eastern deserts. Wine selection is mediocre and a bit overpriced ($20 for a $5 wine); otherwise I'd give it 5 stars.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Amanouz is a small, informal space with friendly staff, great prices and good food for Americanized middle eastern. You order at the counter and wait staff brings your food when ready. They serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Their menu choices are very broad. Meat eaters and vegetarians will find a great deal of choices. I have eaten here many times and I have never disliked anything I have tried.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

A college visit to Northampton sent me asking friends to recommend a restaurant for lunch -- there's always at least one stand-out in a small town but you need to live there to find it!

Start by saying that I own a tagine and a couscousiere...I love cooking Moroccan food. Here's one college town eatery that is especially notable for the vast! variety and taste of its Moroccan specialties. Casual and delicious, plenty of vegetarian options, plenty of meat options. Delicious Moroccan sweet, mint tea.

Local wonder and no surprise that when I talked to people later, everyone knew and LOVED this place!