“Pioneer Valley's best Mexican Restaurant”

La Veracruzana Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #35 of 149 Restaurants in Northampton
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Definitely not fancy, but authentic Mexican meals. You have to stand in line to order, find a table, and go pick up your meal when it is ready. My standard test for a Mexican Restaurant is the enchiladas, and they kick butt at la Veracruzana. You can get them with red, tomatillo, or mole sauce. The mole is always a little different, sometimes a bit hotter, or less hot or a bit salty, or more chocolaty, just like mom makes it (if she is Mexican). There is a salsa bar where you can get regular, hot, fiery, green, and cervesa salsa, as well as jalapenos and onion. On cold days, I go for the homemade hot cholate. There is also a Veracruzana in nearby Amherst that is smaller, and not quite as good, but if you don't want to drive to Northampton...

Reviewed June 30, 2012

I live and work in Northampton and Hadley. I used to like this restaurant. After my visit yesterday I know why I haven't visited in the past 6 months. I used to go here several years ago almost weekly for lunch. If you owned a restaurant, how would you feel if the staff stood near the bar after a customer ordered and had all your staff looking at their droids and ipods and were completely engrossed in a conversation about something they had seen on their droid. That's what I encountered yesterday when I went with a friend to have a quick lunch at 1:50pm. The burritos were tasty but missing something spice wise............entrees have gone way up.....the tortilla was slightly overcooked, the burrito was falling apart. The staff are not overly friendly, non engaging, not courteous, and present as board or disinterested. No friendly greeting.........for example: "Hi", "Hello", "Can I help you". In the past I overlooked this because the food compensated for the indifferent affect. Now the food has gone downhill and in a small city where there are dozens of restaurants and about 10-12 good to excellent restaurants........I think the owners need to take heed, pay better attention and step up their game or they might be consulting with the reality show "Restaurant Impossible". The space is funky , eclectic, the foundation for a good place is there but with so little Mexican competition in Northampton other than Mi Tierra........why bother...............Very disappointing..........

2  Thank pgo120
Reviewed May 28, 2012

The owner began many years ago with a small cart on the streets . Food is simple and good .

4  Thank 39piloto
Reviewed May 25, 2012

For a $5 burrito, you can't really go wrong. It's cheap, it's yummy and the food is ready quickly (there isn't any waiter service)

The home-made salsa is great and I've never ordered anything I didn't like. The menu is more extensive than a typical burrito place and there is something for everyone.

I didn't think they could get much better, until...they got a beer license. They have another location in Amherst that serves margaritas.

Perfect for a quick meal.

Reviewed April 11, 2012

It's ok, prices are reasonable. Been there a long time, sometimes dirty. I go there when I want something fast and cheap. Better than Bueno y Sano but not as good as La Casita Azteca.