“This is not an "inn" and not much of a motel either” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Autumn Inn

Autumn Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Northampton B&B and Inns
Massachusetts
“This is not an "inn" and not much of a motel either”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2009

You think you are booking a quaint inn and it turns out to be a mediocre motel. Upon noticing that immediately upon driving in the driveway, I thought, well, that's OK, at least I have the suite that I need to accommodate my family. That turned out not to be the case. I was informed at the front desk upon check in that my suite was unavailable because another guest decided to extend their stay. I had booked this a month and 1/2 in advance. They did not even have the decency to call and ask if I would like to cancel the reservation. They really made no apologies. Even upon speaking to the manager in the morning who insisted I still got the same sleeping space and agreed to give me a whopping 10% discount after I badgered her extensively, I was unable to demonstrate to her that what I had needed was 2 rooms/a suite, not 2 beds in the same room. Even after I mentioned the fact that I had to sweep the ceilings for cobwebs ( I didn't even mention the mosquiot-swat blood stains on the walls that I decided not to clean up myself), she coldly maintained that she would merely "notify housekeeping". No matter to me that she notifies housekeeping because I would NEVER stay in that "inn" again and would strongly recommend anyone from EVER booking this place.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2009

I am currently in this motel, frantically trying to find another hotel for the remainder of the weekend.
The bed is terribly uncomfortable. I'm thinking the car may be more comfortable. The woman at the front desk is rude.
The only room available when we booked was one double bed. We took it (for $179) with the understanding that there would more than likely be a larger bed available. The woman at the front desk would not check to see if another room was available. When we checked the room, it was small, and dingy with a tiny window and dirty curtains. The small uncomfortable bed I can handle for one night, the dirty curtains on the cell-sized window (taken up by a dirty, obtrusive air conditioning unit), I can handle for one night, but both together is too much!!
The only good thing about this motel is the WiFi in the room, so I can find another hotel.
I would not recommend this motel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mediadr

Travelers are raving about these Northampton hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2009

The Autumn Inn is, as other guests have observed, much more like a motel than a B&B. It's just shy of shabby, but in my experience, clean, if not spotless, and comfortable. I appreciated the free wifi, the quite nice breakfast and the ability to control the temperature in my room. I thought it would be right downtown but it' at least a 10 minute walk. For the price, I was satisfied but hardly blown away.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Mollydoll
Providence, RI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2009

Although this is not a cozy inn, this motel was a fine choice for an overnight trip to Northampton. It was clean and quiet with free wifi in the rooms. The free breakfast was decent. The beds were comfortable, and the staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2008

Well maintained rooms. Very nice continental breakfast. Everything worked.

We stayed two nights as part of a weekend wedding event and none in our party had any complaints. The management made arrangements for us to meet as a group since this was also a family reunion time. Many of us hadn't seen each other for a few years and we also got to know the other side of the family as well. It was nice that the Autumn Inn was so accomodating and easy to work with.

It's an older motel but appears to be well-maintained and is aging gracefully under knowledgeable, responsible, and caring management.

• Liked — Friendly staff, continental breakfast, quiet rooms
  • Disliked — No wireless PC connection in room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
Hillsborough, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2007

I agree with many of the other reviews. I wish I had read them before I booked my reservation. This is a motel that needs a major face lift. The carpets in the halls had not been vacuumed recently, the curtains in the room were dusty and dingy. Nothing but the tub area had been updated in who knows how long.

The area is so nice that I just expected a nice inn. I am a frequent traveler to this area and was hoping this would be the perfect place for me. What a disappointment!

Stayed December 2007
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2007

When my husband and I first pulled up it seemed to be an average looking place. We checked in and headed to our room. As soon as we walked into the long hallway of rooms we were hit with this musty moldy smell. It just permeated from the carpet and continued into our room. We had to open the windows to try to air out the room but it did not do much help. Thank goodness we brought slippers because the thought of our bare foot rubbing up against that nasty carpet is more than I can bear. I tried taking a shower and was horrified to see mold growing all over the curtain. I don't understand how people expect to run a business if they don't vacuum the rug regularly or clean the shower properly. We actually debated leaving but decided to stay because we did not want to be out the money for that night.

The staff seemed nice and the place has potential to be something great but it is not there yet. This is definitely a motel and not an inn. Seriously, your grandma's house probably smells better than this place. I do not recommend you stay here.

• Liked — In a pretty location
  • Disliked — The filthy carpeting and shower curtain. Everything smelled bad.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jnnok
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
Hotel Northampton
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in Hadley

Been to Autumn Inn? Share your experiences!