“Awful awful awful” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Northampton B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Awful awful awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2005

I was so excited to stay at this hotel after seeing the glowing reviews but what a disappointment. I must admit, this inn is very cute. The rooms were clean and small. Ample parking.

Unfortunately for us, the trouble started immediately after check out. A woman who worked for the hotel let herself into our room while we were still right outside loading the car and she came back out within a few seconds.

When we arrived home and checked our bank account, it appeared that the hotel had charged us an additional $50 fee. We called and spoke with the innkeeper who informed us that the room "smelled like pot" and they charged us $50 for running an ionizer and deep cleaning the sheets and blankets.

I personally, have never been so insulted in my life. I have never used drugs and to be accused of committing a crime... I barely even know what to say. All I can think is that we were discriminated against because my husband has long hair and we are both crunchy granola sorts.

A day after talking to the innkeeper, we spoke with the General Manager or the Clarion hotels and he removed the $50 charge and was apologetic about the situation.

I can tell you though, I will never return to the Autumn Inn again. I have never felt so discriminated against in my life.

• Stayed March 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2004

With its convenient location one walkable mile from downtown, pleasant and helpful staff, and super clean affordable rooms-- what's not to love? "Colonial style" means lots of Cushman and Hitchcock 70's revival furniture, but I'll take that over hideous hotel chain floral bedspread decor any day. Our room even had an original litho print. The morning 'continental' is standard fare, tho you can make your own waffles, and the breakfast room has a huge wood burning fireplace and strategically placed sofa-- great ambiance on winter mornings. We highly recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2005
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank GreenMtClubber
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2003

When my husband and I were in the process of moving to Northampton, he started a job a couple months in advance. So he needed a place to stay during the weeks while he was in Northampton, coming home on weekends.
The Autumn Inn was a great, low key, and quiet place that was a temporary second home for us. It's basically a little two story motel in a residential neighborhood, walking distance to Smith College and even downtown Northampton with a little energy. The rooms are very basic and the furniture is dated, but that's the only negative. In terms of service and convenience, I can say that the rooms are clean, the windows open for fresh air, you can park your car right in front of your door for the 1st floor rooms, and the breakfast room is pleasant and attentively monitored in the morning. The setting is the best part - you're on a residential street surrounded by lovely homes, and the biggest surprise is the wonderful pool in the back. The pool is surrounded by big trees, and sits down several feet from the parking level, so it's hidden from view - it's a little oasis where you can swim or just sit and read. The staff is friendly and "unprofessional" in a good way. In all, a nice place to stay, especially for women travelling alone, maybe to a conference at Smith.

35 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
Hotel Northampton
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in Hadley

Been to Autumn Inn? Share your experiences!