“Lovely Hot Weekend - Missed the Pool and Use of Patio” 3 of 5 stars

Autumn Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   259 Elm Street, Northampton, MA 01060   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Northampton B&B and Inns
Germantown, WI
“Lovely Hot Weekend - Missed the Pool and Use of Patio”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We were in town for a wedding, which was wonderful! The area was experiencing higher than normal temperatures for June (around 95 degrees) and we were looking forward to enjoying the pool. Unfortunately, they were having some sort of problem (got three different explanations from three different staff members) and the pool had no water and was out of order. Disappointment No. 1: No Pool. After breakfast, we decided to sit outside for a while on the wrought iron chairs provided; but staff asked us to relocate because those were only for the people in the room directly adjacent - although there was nothing to indicate this. Disappointment No. 2: No Patio. Rooms were large and clean. Breakfast was adequate. Location near Smith College is excellent. Don't stay here if you want to swim.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jackie V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Webster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We were moved to this quaint inn after our original reservation at another local hotel was "lost." What a treat! On the campus of Smith College in a beautiful New England village bustling with college life, in a lovely older house converted to an inn. While the rooms are not elegant by modern standards, ours was large, clean, and suited our needs perfectly. And I would be remiss if I did not mention that the bed and bedding was of superior quality. The breakfast room is amazing - complete with a real old-fashioned waffle maker and huge fireplace hearth. We loved it - wish we were there in warmer weather because there was a beautiful secluded pool in back. If you're looking for comfort and style, this can't be beat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cbbax14
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Autumn in is a nice, middle price hotel. The rooms are a little bit dark and depressing but the beds are comfortable and it's clean. It's about a mile walk outside Northampton which means it's hard to slip out for a snack. The breakfast is not good. Hard boiled eggs, little packets of cereal and oatmeal and not brilliant coffee. However,and almost most important, the staff is superb. Everyone was outstanding, chatty, friendly, full of information and ideas. I had a crisis staying there when I discovered that a hotel I had booked the following week in San Francisco had been reviewed by Trip Advisor as full of bedbugs, hookers and pushers and I was in a complete panic. Desiree in reception was right on the case, jumped online and said she was delighted to book me another place and gave me her own thoughts about her travels in San Francisco. All others present were enormously sympathetic. I'd definitely stay again, hoping that the breakfast might have improved.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank chapwell
San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The Autumn Inn is a lovely old fashioned hotel near Smith College. It is like going to grandma's house -- it you had a New England grandmother. The furniture is old and funky, there is a huge stone fireplace in the downstairs lobby / breakfast room. I find it very comforting, and have stayed here multiple times.
They have a nice breakfast with waffles, boiled eggs, yogurt, cereal, toast and fruit.
The staff is very friendly and helpful. There is free wifi and a printer available in the lobby.
It is about 2 blocks from Smith College and walking avoids the parking hassles at Smith. It is a longer walk to town, but do-able.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Diss13
Portland, ME
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Beds are comfortable, room is clean, shower has good pressure and breakfast - included - is average. Coffee is weak and you have to pay extra for the safe, but can get it refunded at checkout. You can walk everywhere from the inn. Overall, not bad, but I might look for something else if I return to Northampton. Seems overpriced.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
st louis, mo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I took a bath in the tub and left for the day. When I returned the room was cleaned but not the tub. I mentioned it to the night clerk before going out for the evening. The next morning the tub still wasn't clean so I took a shower. I wore a shower cap so was pretty bummed out when I noticed long hair on the tiles and shower curtain near eye level. It wasn't my hair. I also noticed short hairs from shaving on the tiles. Yuck.
I told the clerk when I checked out and got an anemic "sorry."

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
      Cleanliness
TJaeger, Front Office Manager at Autumn Inn, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Autumn Inn. This was brought to my attention earlier this week and I am truly sorry that this situation wasn't reconciled for you immediately. I have spoken with my staff members to make sure this doesn't happen again. We did try to contact you as well to apologize again and notify you of the discount we gave you but we did not have a phone number on file. Please feel free to contact us at 413-584-7660 and ask for Tonia.

Travelers are raving about these Northampton hotels

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Having read all the reviews for Northampton lodging, you quickly realize there is very little choice! I read everything carefully and decided on the Autumn Inn. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It may be a little dated, but it was incredibly comfortable. The room upstairs was large and incredibly clean (one of the cleanest bathrooms I have come across) and the beds were comfortable. The fireplace is lovely and I thought it worked very well for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms seem a little nicer than the motel-style rooms
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Springfield Northampton/Amherst
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in Hadley
3.5 of 5 stars 145 reviews

Been to Autumn Inn? Share your experiences!