“Lovely staff, shame about the breakfast!”
Review of Autumn Inn

Autumn Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Northampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Autumn in is a nice, middle price hotel. The rooms are a little bit dark and depressing but the beds are comfortable and it's clean. It's about a mile walk outside Northampton which means it's hard to slip out for a snack. The breakfast is not good. Hard boiled eggs, little packets of cereal and oatmeal and not brilliant coffee. However,and almost most important, the staff is superb. Everyone was outstanding, chatty, friendly, full of information and ideas. I had a crisis staying there when I discovered that a hotel I had booked the following week in San Francisco had been reviewed by Trip Advisor as full of bedbugs, hookers and pushers and I was in a complete panic. Desiree in reception was right on the case, jumped online and said she was delighted to book me another place and gave me her own thoughts about her travels in San Francisco. All others present were enormously sympathetic. I'd definitely stay again, hoping that the breakfast might have improved.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank chapwell

Reviewed May 5, 2013

The Autumn Inn is a lovely old fashioned hotel near Smith College. It is like going to grandma's house -- it you had a New England grandmother. The furniture is old and funky, there is a huge stone fireplace in the downstairs lobby / breakfast room. I find it very comforting, and have stayed here multiple times.
They have a nice breakfast with waffles, boiled eggs, yogurt, cereal, toast and fruit.
The staff is very friendly and helpful. There is free wifi and a printer available in the lobby.
It is about 2 blocks from Smith College and walking avoids the parking hassles at Smith. It is a longer walk to town, but do-able.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Diss13
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Beds are comfortable, room is clean, shower has good pressure and breakfast - included - is average. Coffee is weak and you have to pay extra for the safe, but can get it refunded at checkout. You can walk everywhere from the inn. Overall, not bad, but I might look for something else if I return to Northampton. Seems overpriced.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I took a bath in the tub and left for the day. When I returned the room was cleaned but not the tub. I mentioned it to the night clerk before going out for the evening. The next morning the tub still wasn't clean so I took a shower. I wore a shower cap so was pretty bummed out when I noticed long hair on the tiles and shower curtain near eye level. It wasn't my hair. I also noticed short hairs from shaving on the tiles. Yuck.
I told the clerk when I checked out and got an anemic "sorry."

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
TJaeger, Front Office Manager at Autumn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Autumn Inn. This was brought to my attention earlier this week and I am truly sorry that this situation wasn't reconciled for you immediately. I have spoken with my staff members to make sure this doesn't happen again. We did try to contact you as well to apologize again and notify you of the discount we gave you but we did not have a phone number on file. Please feel free to contact us at 413-584-7660 and ask for Tonia.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Having read all the reviews for Northampton lodging, you quickly realize there is very little choice! I read everything carefully and decided on the Autumn Inn. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It may be a little dated, but it was incredibly comfortable. The room upstairs was large and incredibly clean (one of the cleanest bathrooms I have come across) and the beds were comfortable. The fireplace is lovely and I thought it worked very well for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms seem a little nicer than the motel-style rooms
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2013

You are paying for the location. As long as you know that and don't have high expectations, you'll be fine. It is very close to Smith College. I got a deal on Hotwire or Priceline, which at least helped to offset the costs a bit.

Everything here was so ridiculously out of date (furniture, decor, etc.) but not in a quaint way. I could hear every single step someone took above me. Also there was unreliable bluestreak wifi in the room. At least it was clean and had inexpensive vending machines. It was a tolerable night's sleep, but that's about it.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 29, 2012

The lobby with its fireplace is cozy, the rest of the property rather like a small hotel. But clean and friendly, surrounded by high trees. Almost can't hear the street located on the side. Good choice for a quick overnight stay. Northhampton itself is fun, it has a lot to offer for a village that size!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank max_weber1984
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 5 in Holyoke
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#5 of 7 in Hadley

Been to Autumn Inn? Share your experiences!