“Read about my terrible experience.”
Review of Hotel Northampton

Hotel Northampton
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Northampton
San Francisco, CA
“Read about my terrible experience.”
Reviewed July 9, 2007

We stayed in the Hotel Northampton for 4 nights. We booked a “suite”, which turned out to be a single room with a porch which the hotel enclosed. The porch had windows facing the street and the lobby, which was also enclosed. The room had very poor noise insulation. It faced a busy street and we were kept up late into the night by traffic. Then in the morning, I was awakened to the sounds of the maids vacuuming the lobby below. On the third night of our stay, there was a wedding celebration in the ballroom adjoining the lobby. The music in our room was unbearably loud. I can not believe that they would rent out this room on the night of a wedding. I called the front desk and they told me that the wedding would be going until midnight. I requested a room change, which they granted. But, since we had a suite with two separate rooms (kind of), I requested another suite or two separate rooms. It turned out that there were no other suites available, but they did have two separate rooms and so they charged me for two rooms! I wouldn’t stay here again.

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank sheepdog1963

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Portland, Maine
Reviewed May 18, 2007

My boyfriend and I were in Northampton to see a concert and did not want to drive the 3 plus hours to get home so we chose to stay at Hotel Northampton. Originally, we had no intention of staying the night in Northampton, so we did not have a reservation. We walked into the lobby at 8pm on a Saturday night to see if there was any availability. Being graduation weekend for many of the local colleges, we were 1) surprised there was availability and 2) happy the rate was $175/night. Granted this was a tad bit more than we would have liked to have spent just to crash for 8 hours, but when the Clarion down the road was asking $170/night, it didn’t seem so bad.

My initial impression of the hotel was that this was a 4-5 star hotel. The lobby was nicely decorated. The hotel staff was dressed well. The restaurant looked somewhat swanky from the outside. There was a wedding going on in the ballroom, which looked gorgeous . . . all seemed very, very lovely.

We took the elevator up to our room on the third floor. One room key did not work, but the other was fine. When I opened the door to the room I have to say, I was a bit disappointed. Now I began to think it was a 3 star hotel. The room was decent sized, but nothing special. There was a king sized bed, a chair and ottoman, and a desk. The comforter on the bed was floral print. The chair and ottoman were plaid. It looked at is they were just thrown together and did not match at all. Ok, ok so I’m being picky, but the lobby seemed so nice, I guess I just expected more. The linens on the bed were a little stiff and starchy but fine once we settled into bed. The mattress was very comfortable and there were extra pillows and blankets in the closet, which is always a plus. The bathroom was average. There was no heat lamp in ours as mentioned in a previous post, but there was an exhaust fan which, according to another review, was missing from their room. The floor tiles did seem a little worn, but it was not horrible.

We ended up not eating in the restaurant as it was Mother’s Day and very crowded. All in all our stay was fine. It was an average room in a pretty building. The biggest plus was the hotel location. As other reviews mentioned, you are paying for the convenience of being in smack dab in the middle of Northampton.

Would we stay there again? Probably not. It was an average hotel for a higher than average price.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — value
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Always_Globetrotting
ct
Reviewed March 30, 2007

Many of you have been very generous with your review. The only positive I note on this hotel is that it actually had windows that open. Unfortunately, they opened to a loud exhaust fan from a kitchen or other part of the hotel. The room was hot and stuffy, even though the air came on repeatedly (it is March). It was worse after a shower since the bathroom has no exhaust system. The whole room was humid. The bathroom's sink is separated by a wall from the bathtub and toilet and the only lighting over the toilet was a heatlamp, so you sweat while using the restroom. It was very uncomfortable and annoying, not to mention the wall was about an inch away from the toilet and the toilet paper was about three feet in front of the toilet. I literally had to stand to get it.

There was no vending machine for drinks on my floor, so my husband and I went to the front desk to inquire since we couldn't find any mention in the small amount of literature in the room. The only vending machine was on the third floor. It had sodas, but the water was empty. All I wanted was some water and there was none! I was getting over the flu and had to get a Sprite (I don't drink sodas) for my cough.

Another thing was that the lamp on the left side of the bed did not have a know. First, my husband had to pull the very heavy bed out and plug it in, then screw in the bulb since the knob did not work. Luckily, it was a flourescent, so it didn't get hot. Lamps aren't that expensive - how bad that we paid over $100 for one night and had to plug in our own lamp and screw in the bulb.

The room had a bizarre setup. The furniture was lined up around the large room, causing us to strain to see the t.v. which was about 20 feet away. Also, although there were robes in the closet, we only had one washcloth per person! Well, I took two showers - do the math! The mattress on the bed was miserable - we felt like we were camping and only got a total of about 3 hours of sleep. The chocolate left in the evening nearly made me sick (I did not swallow it - it didn't even make it all the way in my mouth before I spit it out). They must store them with the laundry detergent, because that is what it tasted like. Also, the muffin and danish my husband brought up for breakfast from the "continental breakfast" downstairs (I was showering and thankfully had plenty of warm water) were disgusting, as was the butter AND even the tea (which bore the hotel name?). I have never ever in my life had tea I could not drink until this day.

The fire in the lobby fireplace was very lovely (gave me a feeling that our stay would be quaint and lovely as well. The homeless person camped out in front of the laundry exhaust area directly in front of the hotel - not lovely at all.

The location was great, but I will stay in another town next time. I will not return to that awful place.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank opheliapoet

Travelers are raving about these Northampton hotels

Meriden,CT
Reviewed March 26, 2007

The main thing this hotel has going for it is its location, besides that it could use some work. Our room was good in size and probably a little below average in condition with other places we have stayed in this price range. (about $110 for a Sunday night booked thru the Hotels web site...other online sites had the room for about $190.00) The continental breakfast was mediocre at best and the chocolate they left on the bed was downright disgusting. Seems like with a little more attention to detail they could make it a much better experience. The location is great though...and that would be the only reason we would stay there again if we could get it for a decent price.

• Disliked — A little run down
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mikect
Stafford Springs, CT
Reviewed December 31, 2006

We celebrated New Years at the hotel with several friends and we were all extremely disappointed, especially for the price we paid for the New Years Night package ($400+). All of our rooms were quite small with little or no view. Our room had no heat when we arrived. Maintenance was able to remedy the situation, only to have the heater break again, which was fixed again. Dinner in Wiggins Tavern was good, however, replenishment of drinks, water, and silverware was slow or non-existent. New Years day, continued with disappointments. There was no hot water in the entire hotel for morning showers, and the breakfast buffet was as cold as the shower water. Upon checkout we were never asked "how our stay was", just handed our bill. When we asked for a reduction in the bill for our inconviences, we were told the person we were to talk to was off-site and would be back in an hour. They took our cell phone number and gave us a card with the managers name and phone number and told us that he would call us when he returned. We didn't receive a call back. We phoned him, left a message, and are still waiting for a response. This was our first time at the hotel and will certainly be our last.

• Liked — the bell hops and maintenance were quick to respond to calls.
  • Disliked — no heat and no hot water
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a king size bed and your room will be slightly larger
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
2 Thank JeanPaulStafford
Gloucester, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 31, 2006

There we were, hoping to enjoy Northampton's First Night New Years Celebration in style. We booked this location as a treat for ourselves, celebrating a successful and exhausting year in our business. Instead of finding gracious accomodation and superlative service, we departed sure to never return or recommend this hotel to anyone. We had a wonderful time outside with the crowds but our inside experience was another thing...
The bellhop stood dutifully by the check-in desk, obstructing the awkward route to the elevator and never even appearing to see us, let alone offer to assist us with our baggage. This happened when we arrived and when we left. Very consistent! Our room was booked at a premium price of $275 for one night. I never expected the room to be below the standard of a $100 a night business hotel. Basic amenities found in any business class hotel were notably absent. The furniture was placed around the room almost haphazardly. The was'nt enough lighting for us to see inside our luggage, even when every light was turned on, nor a seating area. A smell in the room seemed to indicate sour air and a recent application of deodorizer. (You fill in the story there) and the hallway was clearly that of a smoking area, despite our "non-smoking" room.
We reurned from our evening out, went to bed, awoke and attempted to shower, but there was no hot water. When we checked out, the desk clerk listened to our complaint about the lack of hot water. She said they'd been dealing with that complaint all morning,... and that was all she said. At our urging she then pulled the manager behind a wall, where they discussed the matter. She returned to us (the manager disappeared into an office and never directly greeted us) with his business card, on the back of which was a note giving us complimentary breakfast. We checked out the buffet and (since we are in food service ourselves) found the service holding temps not acceptable (ie the fuel heat had been out for some time and the food was not hot) so we left without taking advantage of the manager's oh so generous offer. I strive to provide great service to my customers and I know what it takes to run a complex operation. This was a very poor attempt.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service standards appalling
  • Tips/Secrets — stay elsewhere
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank detailscount
Northampton, MA
Reviewed December 7, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Northampton for our wedding night. We found the service to be very accommodating and the room, (though small), very comfy. The pillowtop king size bed with high thread count sheets was a dream after a long night. We ate our room serviced breakfast on the private enclosed porch off of our room, which was lovely even if the meal itself was a bit basic. The decor doesn't really match the quaint New England, yet ecclectic town and the price is a bit high, but for the center of town (the only way it could be more in the center of downtown Northampton is to plop it in the middle of an intersection 40 feet away), it's worth the kind of cheesy interior and price.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Decor
  • Tips/Secrets — They lowered our quoted rate, but I can't tell you why. Perhaps it's because we were still in our wedding clothes and had big smiles?
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank sophia5683
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Springfield Northampton/Amherst
#2 of 5 in Holyoke
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in Hadley

Been to Hotel Northampton? Share your experiences!