“Bar menu offers bang for the buck.”
Review of Bistro Les Gras

Bistro Les Gras
Ranked #13 of 145 Restaurants in Northampton
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
“Bar menu offers bang for the buck.”
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Food is good, but prices can be high. The bar menu offers the real values--the burger is quite good.

1 Thank MassDK

Katonah, NY
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A gem in Northampton”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I discovered this restaurant by chance, after taking my daughter for accepted students' day at U Mass Amherst. I was alone and looking for a nice place to eat, and the manager at Eileen Fisher recommended it. It was phenomenal!

I have eaten in numerous restaurants in New York and the world, and this one is an unassuming gem. Quiet, with tables that are far enough apart not to hear the buzz of conversation from neighboring tables. Nice lighting and ambiance, beautiful chansons playing in the background, very pared down but elegent decor.

And the food: The carrot soup was memorable, with fennel that added a surprising but subtle touch. The trout was great, a perfectly balanced combination of textures and flavors. The green salad was fresh and crisp. I usually do not get dessert, but after such success with the appetizer and main course I had to try it. The pear cake was out of this world!

I came in without a reservation, and did not want to sit at the bar. The staff was very hospitable, and accomodated me at a table. My waiter was lovely and attentive.

I am not yet which college my daughter will chose to attend in the fall. If she ends up at U MASS Amherst, I will look forward to eating at Bistro Les Gras again and again!

• Visited March 2012
Boston, MA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not very friendly staff...”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Great food but over priced, I mean I know it's good french cuisine and all, but it's not on par with the similarly-priced french cuisine in cities though. Kind of a local rip-off, treating me as if I never tried anything better. And the staff makes their dissatisfaction with you very obvious if you don't order the whole three-course meal package as they want you to. Greedy and rude,they ruin the whole experience.

Plantsville, Connecticut
“This is a hidden gem”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

We went to school at UMass and have been coming back for 28 years for our anniversary . We can't believe we have missed this gem. Nice atmosphere small and comfortable. Wonderful helpful service. The ceasar salad with a slow cooked pork belly was divine. The salted cod croquettes were perfect. The seafood boullaise was filled with different seafood,tender cod, and a perfect sauce that we soaked up with bread.

2 Thank mprybylo
Seattle, Washington
“If you tried it before, try it now”
Reviewed October 28, 2011

The first time I ate at Bistro Les Gras, I was disappointed. I planned never to return but sometimes it is a special occasion and you just need the closest nearby nice dining experience. I am so glad I returned! Since my initial visit the chef has abandoned the trendy element that so disappointed me and adopted a rustic french menu that gives me everything I would hope for from a casual upscale restaurant. The chef is dedicated to using fresh, seasonal and local ingredients constructing dishes that are delectable and were perfect for the season. The change is so compelling we returned again two weeks later and Bistro Les Gras is my new go to for delicious dinners.
To start, our server Jen was incredibly informed about the menu and was able to answer all our questions and discuss in depth the ingredients, technique and philosophy of each dish. She adeptly offered wine pairing suggestions for all our selections and was attentive without being intrusive. There is a very wide selection of by the glass wines and an extensive cellar of whole bottles.
The ever changing menu offers a variety of appetizers, enough that you could create a completely fulfilling meal from small plates alone. However, vegetarians will find their options limited and may do better elsewhere. Our latest visit there offered a roasted pork belly Caesar salad ($10) and fabulous salt cod croquettes with saffron aioli and shaved fennel ($8). The entrees are a significant step up in price but offer perfect portion sizes. I tremendously enjoyed the plat du jour ($26), a “french gnocchi” with foraged mushroom, crispy pork, baby turnips and seasonal greens. It was a wonderful salty earthy and warming mélange of joy. My husband had the blanquette de veau (veal shank $27) that paired perfectly with the white wine Jen suggested and was fall off the bone tender but it was the accompanying sauce that really knocked the dish out of the park. We finished the experience with the apple cake with house made cinnamon ice cream. The flavors were well balanced and the cake perfectly moist with a delicious caramely crunch on the edges.

I am excited to see what the bistro will have to offer in the future

• Visited October 2011