“Cozy Comfort”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in North Truro
rhode island
“Cozy Comfort”
Reviewed September 20, 2008

Pleasant stay at the Sandbars in the slightly "off" season,room was clean and comfortable,showerhead in bathroom set up for little people but usable,very friendly feel to the property,excellent views,especially of sunsets.Would recommend this property for a stay.P.S. anyone who gives this property a bad review was probably trying to make it "Party Central",this place isn't about noisy parties but quiet enjoyment,if you want loud,stay in downtown P-town!

• Liked — Beach and Quiet
  • Disliked — Bathroom Showerhead was Looooooow!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Mississauga
Reviewed August 10, 2008

I don't know how you couldn't have a nicer stay than the Sandbars! Owners are the nicest people I've met on our trip. Rooms were large, clean and beds were so comfy. I was so surprised at the fantastic view of Cape Cod Bay! It was like the Caribbean. Close to PTown and terrific National Sea Shore beaches. George's pizza even delivered to our room and was really good pizza. We had a wonderful time. Thanks for everything Brian and Pattee! We loved your dogs too!

• Liked — Beach, View from our room, close to lots of beaches, owners, very quiet
  • Disliked — Couldn't stay longer, I'd pick upstairs over downstairs, quieter on bottom floor
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ontario
Reviewed August 5, 2008

Fabulous accomodations on the perfect spot in Cape Cod. After reviewing this hotel through tripadvisor and the hotel site, we booked 3 nights in July. I'm always a little anxious when I book something without at least getting a recommendation from someone I know but we were not disappointed. The room was beautiful and extremely clean. We had a double with ground floor access to the beach. My children, ages 12 and 9 loved everything about our accommodations and location just as my husband and myself did. I honestly do not have anything negative to say about this property.

• Liked — Beautiful and unique decorating and very clean.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
massachusetts
Reviewed July 22, 2008

We were pleasantly surprised at the great location,nice little beach,comfortable bed, fluffy towels,nicely appointed decor,and conveniently laid out room.There was an unexpected little refrigerator and coffee pot. We had a nice little balcony/deck to view the dunes and sunset. A good value in a very expensive area.

• Liked — convenience of being on the beach
  • Disliked — no breakfast buffet
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 27, 2006

We just came back from a tweekend getaway to Cape Cod and stayed at the Sandbars. My husband and I were travelling with another couple and had previously stayed at Sandbars without any issues. The rooms are clean and pleasant and we had a ground floor room with a slider that opens out directly onto the beach.

Well unfortunately I cannot say that our experience this year was as pleasant as we had anticipated. After spending a most enjoyable day on the beach I headed into our room to shower and dress for our evening out. What a surprise I got when I discovered that there was not hot water. My husband attempted to reset the circuit breaker (located in our room) for the water heater which didn't seem to resolve the issue so he went to the office for help. The owner came to our room extremely annoyed to begin with and when I attempted to expalin that no hot water had been run prior to my shower and that I was the first to get in, feel on deaf ears. He implied that we had somehow depleated the 40 gallaon capacity tank by taking numerous showers and to just wait 45 minutes before we try again.

Needless to say, the 45 minute wait didn't help and we again went to the office for help. When the owner came to our door he was extremely upset and continued to imply that it was "our fault" there was no hot water...upon further investigation he determined that the water heater was in fact leaking and NOT working!! He rudely stated we had a couple of options, check-out and he'd refund our money and we could go somewhere else or move to another room. (never offered assistance with moving all of our belongings, food, etc.)...his direct quote..."what do you expect me to do on a Friday afternoon". He also never apologized for his behavior or accusations!

We did in fact move to another room but we continued to scratch our heads wondering how we had somehow been to blame for this situation. The incident put a real damper on the weekend!

The morning we checked out, as our husbands were loading the car, the owner and his wife were in the parking lot. The wife said hello and asked how our stay was BUT the husband just walked past without a word. We left the key in the office on the desk with a shout from the back... thank you.

Sandbars has see us for the last time...too bad...it really is a nice location buy lacks customer service and satisfaction!

Stayed June 2006
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed May 6, 2006

We just came back from a trip to Cape Cod and stayed at the Sandbars. My husband and I were travelling with our 2 yr old and another couple with a toddler. The rooms are clean and pleasant. The location is convenient to Provincetown and the view of the bay from our room was spectacular. Private decks that look out onto the private beach are a big plus. Having a small kitchen was also very handy.

Unfortunately, the one thing that marred the trip was one of the proprietors. We had pre-paid for an entire week, but did not check-in until Tuesday. We had told the person we made the reservation with through our time-share, but we did not know that we needed to inform Sandbars directly. When I called Sandbars to tell them we would be arriving they were annoyed that we had not checked in on Saturday. The room was paid for, so I'm not sure why this would pose a huge problem. This was also during a coastal flood warning in MA, so it is unlikely that they would have been able to rent the rooms to someone else.

They have a checkout time of 10 am. and we were huffily reminded that we were running late at ten after. This was in the off-season and there was no one waiting for our room; there were also other vacancies in the hotel. I apologised for the delay, and the proprietor was very dismissive. He was adamant about wanting to clean up our room immediately. When travelling with a toddler, it is sometimes slow going. I was also trying to make sure that we left the room in good order. As I scrambled to get out with my son, I forgot to return the key. He then berated my husband with a litany of complaints in the parking lot. "You arrived four days late, you are the last ones to leave and then you leave w/o returning the key!!" We were dumbfounded by his reaction. Our children were very well-behaved, we did not cause any damage to the property, did not throw any wild parties or trash the room. Moreover, we were joined by our friends' father who rented another room there for two nights, so we actually brought more business with us. The discourtesy displayed by the proprietor was, to say the least, not a very nice way to end an otherwise very pleasant trip.

Pros:
Clean rooms
Beautiful bay view
Quiet location
Kitchenette

Cons:
Storage space in the room is a little limited (no closet)
Very strict about check-out/check-in time

Some Highlights from our trip:
Bonkerz Party Zone in South Yarmouth
---
This was a great place to take the kids on a rainy day. They have a wonderful jungle gym made of woven material that has the fastest, slippery slides. Adults are allowed to crawl around on the equipment with the kids, and it is just crazy fun. There is also an inflatable bouncing area, a little train table, books and blocks. It was also very inexpensive.

The Children's Museum in Mashpee
---
There is a model of a Pirate Ship for the kids to crawl around on. There are also many other interactive activities. Picnic tables outside were perfect for an informal lunch under cherry trees.

Fanizzi's in Provincetown
---
The food here is very good and they are accomodating of small children, which is not always the case in Provincetown. There is also a nice view of the water.

• Stayed May 2006
9 Thank smilla88
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 2, 2005

We visited the Sandbars Motel in North Truro, Massachusetts, last year in mid June. It is an older motel that had recently been renovated. The rooms were very clean and beautifully decorated. Since we had booked this motel for a spur of the moment trip, we didn't know what to expect. We were very pleasantly surprised. The view of the Cape was spectacular. It was fun to watch the loons and other birds on the water as well as listen to the fog horns in the evenings. The full moon setting over the water was spectacular. It is only a few minutes into Provincetown and all the wonderful attractions and restaurants. There are tours of every kind. There are also wonderful wineries and all types of specialty shops. There is something for everyone in this area.

The staff at the Sandbars were wonderful and always ready to accommodate. We went early in the season, so I'm sure our traveling around the area was made easier due to fewer tourists at that time of year.

We felt very much at home there and would definitely stay there again.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#2 of 11 in North Truro
Outer Reach Resort
Outer Reach Resort
#4 of 11 in North Truro

Been to Sandbars on Cape Cod Bay? Share your experiences!