“Meh” 2 of 5 bubbles

The Whitman House
Ranked #6 of 10 Restaurants in North Truro
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Croton on Hudson, New York
“Meh”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

I've been going to this part of the cape several times a year for my whole life, my parents for 45+ years. This place was once a favorite but has been VERY hit and miss for the last few years. This, our final, visit left us with an indiffernt and unfriendly waitress, who, dispite the fact that she was only waiting on two other tables never brought us our soup and required the assistance of the the Hostess to wait on the third table. Three of us had seafood and the consesus was that the fish was mediocre at best, not at all what you would expect from someplace this far out on the cape and consistant with our visits over the last few years (also consistant with what we overheard from the group at the next table) The Lamb Chops were good and the prime rib we saw go to another table also looked very good, maybe if you must go here I would stay away from the seafood. There are plenty of better choices in this area, this was our last visit, it is a shame beacuse this place was once very good and has a very quaint, nice, New England atmosphere. We were far from impressed.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mtram

Cummaquid, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

We have been going to the Whitman House at least once /year for over 25 years, and were apprehensive about another vist after reading some of the reviews. We will never be apprehensive again. The hostess/ owner was just as pleasant as ever. Our waitress showed a real knowledge of the menu with great recommendations. Bottles of wine were very reasonably priced. They still have the great family salad served with your choice of 3 dressings. I had the the blackened striped bass that was probably just caught by the chef/owner that day, and was excellent. My wife had the baked sea scallops that were also sweet and delicious. The next table had the Whitman Cut prime rib that he raved about. We finished everything off with the Key Lime Pie. Just a great night. Oh, and watch the sunset over Cape Cod Bay at the end of the road.

1 Thank retired12
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
“Huge dissapointment!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2010

We stayed in the area for a week and ate in restaurants on this area of the cape all week and the Whitman House was our biggest disappointment. It started out with a great setting and went down as soon as we experienced the smell in the restaurant. It smelled like it was from the 1700's when the house was built. My wife and I ordered swordfish and it was inedible. Just nasty. My wife's was undercooked and mine was supposed to be blackened but came out grilled with a bunch of seasoning dumped on top. Terrible. Save your $$$$

• 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Agsetsail
Boston, Massachusetts
“Spend your hard earned money somewhere else...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2010

I recently went to this resturant with my husband for a surprise 25th wedding anniversary party for some very good friends. There was 60 of us. The event was booked in advance and set in a large seperate function room. I guess the claim to fame is that its an historical ambiance. early american colonial furniture and wall deco...But I was horrified. Waitresses were uninterested and looked ill. Service was terrible. I sent a vodka tonic back to the bar twice and then gave up. (no vodka in the drink at all, and tonic was not tonic but flat club soda) and for $7.50 I expect better. Appetizers looked like they came out of the supermarket junk food isle. Main course was old. (we had choices of 2 seafood dishes or Chicken Breast ) Both my husband and I had the chicken since he is allergic to seafood and I was trying to be supportive. We literally could not finish it and several other guests at the table were sick the following day. We didnt end up telling the woman that organized the whole party ( another friend) because we didnt want to hurt her feelings, but I will say that I am NEVER eating at this place again. Resturants are a big deal out here on the Cape because thats really all there is to do. There are plenty of other places to eat and for what we had to pay per person for a group of this size, I was thoroughly disgusted and dissapointed. After talking with other friends who also live here but weren't at this function, we heard the same stories. One friend of mine said the only thing they do well there is the Steak dinners. Well I didnt have it and it wasnt on the menu of choices for our function... so I cant say. But I will encourage you to try dinner somewhere else.

1 Thank Stella41476
wellfleet
“Nice Night Out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2010

Greeted pleasantly by hostess and explained they were using the smaller Tavern for mid week, early spring seating. Waiter Johannes was friendly and very knowledgeable about the items on the menu. They have a price fix menu for $22 with 3 choices. We both had the prime rib. My husband asked for the end cut and I had a regular one. They were 'melt in your mouth' tender and juicy. We started with soup. I had Kale and my husband had Clam Chowder. We make both of these at home and agreed these were comparably good! The garden salad was crisp and cold-the salad plates were also chilled. The desserts were homemade. He had chocolate pudding pie and I had the key lime. Johannes explained the key lime had previously been purchased from an outside supplier, but this year they decided to make their own. Tart, creamy, limey and not green! Yum!! Overall the service was excellent with frequent check backs but not obtrusively so. The coffee cup was promptly refilled and was good. The atmosphere was geared to fishing with pictures of the owners family holding up large Strippers. They have a charter business as well, so you can imagine that the seafood in the summer is very fresh. We would definitely come back again.