“Very close to excellent”
Review of Aprile's European Restaurant - CLOSED

Aprile's European Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I suggested this spot for our 37th anniversary. Our 36th anniversary went very well here, when we rediscovered the location, open under new management. My wife didn't hesitate for a second.

Part of a converted old mill building (I do wish that many more would be repurposed like this one!), the ceilings are high, the walls are brick, and there is delightful re-use of some of the mill's old machinery - the former water-driven driveshaft across the top of the room has been converted into a slowly rotating series of fans to keep the air moving. I digress - I'm an engineer who just loves machines. A long glass wall permits a view of the once-vital canal alongside the building.

My wife ordered the Caprese salad, a six-inch stack of luscious ripe red and yellow tomatoes, basil leaves, and fresh mozzarella, drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Wonderful! I had mussels in a white wine, butter, and garlic sauce. They were perfectly cooked and delicious, served with two crisps of French bread to soak up the delightful sauce.

My entree consisted of fork-tender Chianti-braised short rib, mashed Red Bliss potatoes, steamed asparagus spears, and a bit of the braising jus. Everything was cooked just right, and the meat really was fork-tender. My wife chose Pasta Louise - chicken sauteed with garlic, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and asparagus, served over penne with a cream vodka sauce. It was requested that they go easy on the garlic, and the request was executed perfectly.

We decided to share a piece of carrot cake for dessert, and that was the only hitch to the evening. The cake was a bit on the dry side, seemed to be lacking in carrot, which typically lends a moist tenderness to the cake, and although the cream cheese frosting was good, it all tasted as though it had been refrigerated too long. Thus, Very Good, not Excellent.

As we've come to expect, the service (this time with Katie) was excellent.

Certainly we will return, but remember to bring your wallets. This restaurant is not on the economical side. Pasta Louise runs $19, and the short rib, $26.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

went tonight had extra large pizza , ate 3 pieces asked to take the rest home when we got home a lot of the pizza was missing. must have been so good the waiter needed some

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Located within an old Mill Bldg., the European boasts a delicious and diverse menu, a warm ambiance and friendly, professional service. The bar is huge, providing multi-screen options for sports and news "junkies."

I enjoyed an incredible dinner of Veal Marsala..."To die for!..." And, of course, a side Caesar Salad, with anchovies. Dessert: Rich & creamy chocolate gelato!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife and I ate here the other evening, and had quite good food, though my wife ordered a Margherita pizza that she thought was flavored a bit too much with basil. On the other hand, she got enough pizza (a small) that it filled the bill for her meal with enough left over for my breakfast the next morning, with a slice still left over. My chicken and veal dish on penne pasta was very good, with a spicy overtone that pleased me a lot. The service was prompt and pleasant. The drinks were good. The price was just a bit steeper than I would have liked, but that's often the case these days, isn't it? By the way, this restaurant is in an old industrial space, which gives it a lot of atmosphere. And the view outside is very nice indeed.

The next day we were at a wedding in one of their rooms, with a reception in another. They were very accommodating, and the food at the reception was good as well. The owners are obviously nice folks, and the young people who work for them are clearly chosen for their personalities. I was the officiating minister and was extremely pleased with how they dealt with our needs.

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

This was a nice night out. Athena was a great waitress. We had a lovely meal. The old mill is a nice venue and the value is good.