We visitited Meeru for 10 days between Dec 25, 2013 and Jan 4, 2014. It was our second trip to the Maldives after staying in Fihalhohi Dec. 2012. Meeru offered the higher standard, with better rooms and additional offers for entertainment, and a beautiful trip on a sailing boat, but clearly lacks a house reef for snorkeling or diving. Additionally the appartments are a little 'aged' and could require better maintainance for the much higher prices requested.
The transfer from Male was well organized, as was the check-in at the island. We had booked Jacuzzi Beach Villas, and asked for two rooms next to each other (we are a family of 4, with kids aged 19 and 18). This did not fully work: We had the appartments 109 and 111 for the first 5 days, which are well located close to the beach with good places in the shadow below palms; additionally the way to the diving station or restaurant was short.
The diving center is well organized, with friendly dive teachers and good equipment. All dives are from the boat, as there is no house reef at the island.
The restaurant is great - good offerings, with a friendly service. This we had experienced worse at Fihalhohi.
Small deductions for the overall ratings due to cumulative small problems at the appartments. Various lights did not work, so did the adapter or the hair dryer, and the air conditioning provided either arctic cold temperatures, or it was too warm.
For two days we participated in a sailing tour offered by the hotel without additional cost (we had to check out of our rooms), which was a great experience. The crew did a fantastic job to make this a very memorable tour!
After the tour we had rooms 115 and 119, which were comparable to the ones before - 119 maybe already a little too far from shadowy places at the beach.
My wife went to one session at the overwater Spa, which she liked a lot. We also heard from other guests that they appreciated the spa quality a lot.
Most additional services at Meeru (which obviously make this island a 4 star ressort, and make it more expensive) we did not use - neither the sport offerings (we went diving every day, and used the boat to go snorkeling), nor the TV, nor the evening attactions.
If we were to visit the Maldives for a third time, we would most likely select a more basic island again, with a good house reef.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Meeru Island Resort, surrounded by a beautiful lagoon and long stretches of white, sandy beach, is the only Resort on the island of Meerufenfushi, North Male' Atoll. It is 1200 meters long by 350 meters wide, about 60 hectares (105 acres). Your speedboat transfer from Velana International Airport is a scenic, 55 minute ride. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Cancelon, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Meeru Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Meeru Island Hotel North Male Atoll
- Meeru Island Maldives
- Meeru Island Resort Maldives
- Hotel Meeru Island