It was always a dream of mine to stay in an over water bungalow. After reading the many reviews on Trip Advisor, we requested an over water bungalow with a sunset view in the 700's adult only section. I had sent 3 seperate e-mails asking for this but was assigned a over-water villa in the 300's (room 302, closest to the shore, pretty well no privacy). When I asked about this at check in, I was given pretty well a "too bad, so sad" response. I think they know you are now captive on the island so there's not much you can do and there is no need for them to go out of their way. I understand that there are logistics involved with room assignments but I honestly do feel that requests are pretty well ignored, so don't waste your time making any. Only when I insisted, did they make an effort to move us to another room. A bungalow was available in the 700's two nights later. So, rather than unpacking and enjoying a full 7 days, we lived out of our suitcases for the first couple of days. We received a letter saying that we could pick up the key for the new room at 9:00 a.m. That day, we got up extra early for breakfast and packed up for our move. At the desk, I was told our new room wouldn't be ready till 11:30. When I showed the person at reception the letter, so again pretty well gave me the "too bad, so sad" look. So, we got up early for nothing.
When checking in, their main purpose is to try and sell you excursions, spa treatments etc. rather than providing you with information. You are provided with 2 bottles of 1.5 litres of water in your room and it's replenished daily. There is no need to purchase more water. Simply take your bottle with you for meals. Also, there is no mention of free internet. If I didn't know this ahead of time, you would not know unless you asked. We had to have our suitcases out by 10 a.m. and opted to stay in our bungalow until it was time for us to actually leave. The room attendant was practically waiting at the door the whole time and was staring at us when we were sitting on the steps looking at the ocean. I'm sure there was pressure on him to clean the room but we were entitled to be there since it was before the check out time of noon.
Overall, the island is beautiful but customer service was definitely lacking. This spoiled what could have been a dream holiday. Though this is not among the most expensive islands, you are still paying premium dollar for the experience. The beaches in the north end (adults only) are nicer than around the 300's water villas. Beware of the very strong currents around the whole island. One highlight was the quality and variety of foods at the buffet restaurant. There is no need to have a la carte meals. We were on the full board plan, not all inclusive, since I do not drink but it's somewhat ridiculous to pay $5 U.S. for a diet Coke.
It's a beautiful place and we had a wonderful time but the reception staff need to improve their customer service skills.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Meeru Island Resort, surrounded by a beautiful lagoon and long stretches of white, sandy beach, is the only Resort on the island of Meerufenfushi, North Male' Atoll. It is 1200 meters long by 350 meters wide, about 60 hectares (105 acres). Your speedboat transfer from Velana International Airport is a scenic, 55 minute ride. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Orbitz, HotelQuickly and Jetsetter so you can book your Meeru Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Meeru Island Hotel North Male Atoll
- Meeru Island Maldives
- Meeru Island Resort Maldives
- Hotel Meeru Island