Great resort but not worth the risk of them ruining your holiday!
We booked our stay directly with Meeru and were offered a Garden Room All Inclusive with the carrot of an upgrade to the best available room on arrival subject to availability.
Great I thought and worse case is we end up in the garden room which will just be smaller and not prime location on the beach. Wrong! What Meeru and their website don't tell you is the Garden Rooms are horrible substandard rooms that appear as if they are converted staff quarters. They are clean and tidy and I would be more than happy to stay in them if I were being paid, but not the other way around! They have minimal old fashioned, basic and tired furniture, the rooms smell of damp and are dark with very little natural light. The have decking outside which is semi-shared with the adjacent rooms with no privacy. This is not a problem as you wouldn't want to sit there anyway!
It felt like we were being treated like second-class guests just because we had been offered a cheap deal, however as the week progressed I learned that the resort was constantly overbooked and guests were being out booked to goer resorts or downgraded on arrival. Everyday we saw guests arrive in the garden rooms who had booked more expensive rooms and everyday I saw guests complaining.
It appeared that most of these guests ended up with a better room at some point during their stay because they had booked with a tour operator and their rep had more influence. However as we were just a direct booking we were put to the bottom of the pile.
When booking this holiday we looked at a number of resorts and had serval very attractive options. We decided to book with Meeru because they were so helpful and accommodating. How else would they get someone to pay to stay in these dreadful rooms?! As soon as I arrived I started looking for another resort to stay in however everything was now fully booked so we were stuck!
I am sorry to say our stay was ruined and our impression of the island. The Garden rooms and the way the reservations are managed let the resort down. Otherwise the food and drink is good, the swimming pools and other facilities are excellent.
I wouldn't recommend booking this resort, even if you book the honeymoon suite, because you have no guarantee you'll get it!
Avoid, it's not worth ruining your holiday!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Meeru Island Resort, surrounded by a beautiful lagoon and long stretches of white, sandy beach, is the only Resort on the island of Meerufenfushi, North Male' Atoll. It is 1200 meters long by 350 meters wide, about 60 hectares (105 acres). Your speedboat transfer from Velana International Airport is a scenic, 55 minute ride. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Priceline, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Meeru Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Meeru Island Hotel North Male Atoll
- Meeru Island Maldives
- Meeru Island Resort Maldives
- Hotel Meeru Island