“It is what it is and that's special.”

Harrison's Roast Beef
Cuisines: Soups
Reviewed December 11, 2012

When you live or grow up around Boston, especially North of Boston, you come to worship these roast beef fast food places for their generally high quality roast beef sandwiches, fast service and great fried sides. If you're from Revere, it's Kelly's. From Salem, it's Bill and Bob's. From Beverly, it's Nick's. Somehow, I'd never made it to North Andover's Harrison's until now but I'm glad I did. These are more than just fast food palaces, these are memories of young adulthood. These are the places that are open after the bars close and you need a stomach full of love before resting your head on your pillow. A friend of mine wanted to revisit this part of his life as we made our way back home to New Hampshire from Logan airport. I have similar memories from Bill and Bob's and Nicks so I was happy to oblige. These places specialize in roast beef piled high on onion rolls. You can choose to add sauce (usually James River or some other well known brand), onion, cheese, mayo, mustard and so on. I confess, I have always preferred the proportion of bread to meat that come with the junior size. My standard order is "two juniors, sauce, cheese, onion, pizza roll, small onion rings and a diet coke". The pizza roll is crucial. It is an unholy marriage of egg roll and pizza filling (sauce and cheese) that should make one cringe but once bitten, makes all the sense in the world. Harrison's is what it is. Clean, reasonably priced, fast and delicious. The meal was made extra special because my friend and I got to swap memories of our early twenties chowing down on this fare after nights of revel. It's roast beef with a side of nostalgia.

1  Thank Sherlockzz

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We both ordered their famous roast beef sandwiches. I would have liked a little more horseradish on mine but they actually charge an extra dime for that. My wife had hers with barbecue sauce which she enjoyed. Will try the corned beef the next time.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Pastrami, corn beef and their famous roast beef make this a stopping place for us at least once a month. Even the fried to order onion rings are worth the trip alone.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

I've been getting their Roast beef sandwich for years! However unfortunately it's going downhill.
I just came back :
The buns were STALE,
The meat was TOUGH with grissle.
They FORGOT the onions.
and I had to wait because they didn't open on time.

When I called the owner/Manager 'MIKE'...his arrogant attude response, was...".WHATEVER"
(That's not good business, Mike! )

Does anyone know where I can get a GOOD roast beef locally?

3  Thank Marty8888