“Mass Moca package is a good deal”

Holiday Inn Berkshires
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in North Adams
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We bought the package from their website with 2 tickets to the museum and a room for @ $125.
The room was clean, with slightly dated decor, but with a nice view of the main street. Our kids loved the pool and jacuzzi ( ok they love all pools ). The location is great and there's a good variety of food options nearby.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank dougwig
lsearcy, General Manager at Holiday Inn Berkshires, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Berkshires. As we post all of our guest comments In our employee areas, it means so much when a guest notices the little things that our team members do. Your pictures say it all, and the employee that we have aptly nicknamed "The Sticker Lady" will be thrilled! Just a small personal touch, because she knows that making a guest smile is as important as how clean the rooms are.

Linette Searcy

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed at the hotel last minute and found it to provide a nice accommodation. The price struck me as rather high as the hotel was definitely very empty (I would have understood if Tanglewood was in full swing). The rooms were very clean and well-appointed. The bathrooms were a little dated in the shower area and that could use some refurbishing. Also, the pool area was less than tidy. The other nice thing about the hotel is that a lot of local restaurants rated highly on TripAdvisor are an easy walk from the hotel. As such, we did not eat in the hotel restaurant for dinner but we did try them for breakfast and found the food to be good and the service attentive.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 16, 2012

The Holiday Inn in North Adams, Mass. is a terrific lodging option for people who are visiting MCLA, Mass MoCA or just taking a relaxing trip to the Berkshires. The front desk staff was friendly and professional, my bedroom and bathroom were spotless and comfortable and the breakfast was great. A nice feature of this property is its sauna, hot-tub and lap pool room in the basement. A great way to unwind after a long drive or hike on Mt. Greylock.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My 16 year old son and I stayed here this past weekend as we were attending the open house at MCLA. This hotel (which is 100% smoke-free) met our needs perfectly. The free parking was definitely a plus.

Barbara and Susan at the front desk were very pleasant and knowledgeable about the North Adams area. As I am a Priority Club member, I received a nice little goody bag with water, pretzels, a granola bar and hot cocoa, which was a nice touch.

There is a Papa Gino's right across the street from the hotel which is very convenient. You are in walking distance from anything you need. A CVS is a couple of blocks over, and we could have even walked to MCLA if we wanted to. A Wal-Mart is only about a mile up the road on Route 8 South.

The room was tastefully decorated in browns and blues. We had a flat screen TV with HBO included. We had two queen beds which my son claimed were quite comfortable. We also had a beautiful view of downtown North Adams and the Berkshires from our window.

All in all, we were pleased with the accommodations and service, and should my son attend MCLA, we would have no hesitations staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to get the best view of the mountains. Room 403, the room we were in, looks...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We booked our room at the last minute and we were very happy to be able to find a place to stay near Williamstown during Williams college's family weekend.
We booked a room with a king sized bed. Our room was pleasant, spacious and clean. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Parking was convenient and a few good restaurants were within easy walking distance.

A little suggestion: The management might want to consider installing a light above the bathtub. Despite the fact that the shower curtain had a mesh area at eye level to let in a little ambient light, my husband and I still found it a bit dark when we had to draw the curtain in order to use the shower (might be a bit dangerous for an elderly person or someone with really bad eyesight ).
Overall, I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The hotel works well and is conveniently located in North Adams with free parking. Service at front desk was quick and efficient. Everything was fundamentally sound, but the cost seemed high, but perhaps that is the price given it was a fall weekend night.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2012

This is an odd setup. Across the hotel hallway from me is an attorney's office. A little past the elevator is a dentist's office. Apparently it's a mixed use building -- it was a little confusing to figure out how to get to the lobby and where to park (park past the building across the street from the dollar store, then back toward where you saw the Holiday Inn sign and you'll figure it out).

The first time I tried to check in, the staff was friendly -- the room wasn't clean yet, but one of the clerks said he'd remember me when I came back (there was a reason for this) and I'd get the little bonus bag of Priority Club member goodies, too. When I came back, he was grumpy and short with me, and said that he'd had way too many people checking in to remember anyone. Time for emotion management classes, I guess. Then he forgot the goodie bag and he looked at me really strongly when I told him he'd forgotten it. The room has new carpet, fixtures all work, bed is moderately comfortable (though the sheets are old, very thin, too worn out to stay put, so they crumple up), and the pillows are not great (a couple of them had little cloth ribbon-like things with a big button and the word "soft," but that's gift wrapping only -- doesn't make them nice). The climate unit is the old kind in the wall, and the fan is high and loud, even on low. Since the weather is getting cold, this is annoying, because it has to stay on or it gets cold in the room, but then it blows really hard and you have to turn it off to sit at the desk to write.

Restaurant is mediocre. It's okay if you don't feel like going out and my steak was good. But the service is diner quality. I ordered "surf and turf" and was supposed to get both shrimp and scallops, but only got shrimp. When I asked the waittress about it, she said no, it was supposed to be just shrimp. So I asked her to get me the menu and when she came back, she said "you're right!" I assume she was going to just try to get by without really checking. Cook seems to throw a few green onions on everything for garnish. But not everything should have that extra flavor on it (it was on three things I ordered). My partner had the burger and the fries were very good.

Exercise room is slim pickins. It has two treadmills, a stationary bike, a stair stepper, and an elliptical trainer. It has a scale and water, and two tvs. No other equipment, like balls or free weights or weight machines. Worst thing, though, is that it was probably at least 75 degrees in the room and no way to change the temperature (not even a thermostat in the room) and I didn't feel any ventilation, though there must have been something. There was a box fan.

Room Tip: Call -- the person on the phone was very helpful, while online it was hard to know anything. Nice vi...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Berkshires, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear LeakyB85,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review about your stay with us. You have covered aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative of your comments about our friendly staff. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering superior service and are happy doing so. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the hotel conditions may have caused you. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Janice A

The Orchards Hotel
The Orchards Hotel
#5 of 13 in Williamstown
Best Western Plus Berkshire Hills Inn & Suites

Been to Holiday Inn Berkshires? Share your experiences!