“Renovated doesn't mean "nice" though”

Holiday Inn Berkshires
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in North Adams
Reviewed October 13, 2012

This is an odd setup. Across the hotel hallway from me is an attorney's office. A little past the elevator is a dentist's office. Apparently it's a mixed use building -- it was a little confusing to figure out how to get to the lobby and where to park (park past the building across the street from the dollar store, then back toward where you saw the Holiday Inn sign and you'll figure it out).

The first time I tried to check in, the staff was friendly -- the room wasn't clean yet, but one of the clerks said he'd remember me when I came back (there was a reason for this) and I'd get the little bonus bag of Priority Club member goodies, too. When I came back, he was grumpy and short with me, and said that he'd had way too many people checking in to remember anyone. Time for emotion management classes, I guess. Then he forgot the goodie bag and he looked at me really strongly when I told him he'd forgotten it. The room has new carpet, fixtures all work, bed is moderately comfortable (though the sheets are old, very thin, too worn out to stay put, so they crumple up), and the pillows are not great (a couple of them had little cloth ribbon-like things with a big button and the word "soft," but that's gift wrapping only -- doesn't make them nice). The climate unit is the old kind in the wall, and the fan is high and loud, even on low. Since the weather is getting cold, this is annoying, because it has to stay on or it gets cold in the room, but then it blows really hard and you have to turn it off to sit at the desk to write.

Restaurant is mediocre. It's okay if you don't feel like going out and my steak was good. But the service is diner quality. I ordered "surf and turf" and was supposed to get both shrimp and scallops, but only got shrimp. When I asked the waittress about it, she said no, it was supposed to be just shrimp. So I asked her to get me the menu and when she came back, she said "you're right!" I assume she was going to just try to get by without really checking. Cook seems to throw a few green onions on everything for garnish. But not everything should have that extra flavor on it (it was on three things I ordered). My partner had the burger and the fries were very good.

Exercise room is slim pickins. It has two treadmills, a stationary bike, a stair stepper, and an elliptical trainer. It has a scale and water, and two tvs. No other equipment, like balls or free weights or weight machines. Worst thing, though, is that it was probably at least 75 degrees in the room and no way to change the temperature (not even a thermostat in the room) and I didn't feel any ventilation, though there must have been something. There was a box fan.

Room Tip: Call -- the person on the phone was very helpful, while online it was hard to know anything. Nice vi...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Berkshires, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear LeakyB85,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review about your stay with us. You have covered aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative of your comments about our friendly staff. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering superior service and are happy doing so. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the hotel conditions may have caused you. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed in North Adams as a stopover on a fall colors vacation. The front desk staff were very nice and checked us in quickly. The room was fine - clean, larger than average, and everything in good working order - no regets at all and would stay here again. We walked around the immediate neighborhood - there were a few restaurants to choose from but otherwise not much going on on a Wednesday night.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Berkshires Saturday night with my daughter while visiting Williams as acceptable Williamstown hotels were booked on a busy Fall weekend. The Holiday Inn was clean, the renovated room was very comfortable and spotless and a good value and the staff was friendly and courteous. The hotel is convenient to Williamstown as well as to restaurants and MassMoca in North Adams.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 18, 2012

my husband and i stayed two nights at the holiday inn north adams in august. the price of the room was $179 +tx per night and we both felt that was a bit high given the town 's amenities and proximity to pittsfield. free parking was included.

the town of north adams is cute with several small restaurants and shops but little else to engage in a weekend of activities right in town. the room was very well appointed with a nice sized tv, refrigerator and microwave. the king sized bed was exceptionally comfortable. the view from our room was also very pretty. the room could use a thorough cleaning. the dust on the lamps was weeks old, the bath was acceptable but not overly clean. the housekeeper was very kind and eager to be helpful. the air conditioning was very loud and intrusive when on. the room suffered from going hot to cold, hot to cold. breakfast at the hotel the next morning was excellent and fairly priced. we sat outside on the patio which was nice.

we were visiting friends in the area for a family reunion and there are very limited choices of hotel options. all and all the place was good and would choose this hotel if we returned to the area.

Room Tip: corner room was large and spacious,
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stayed two nights while passing through the area on the way to VT and my stay was excellent! The hotel is beautifully situated with a very nice, large and free parking lot in back. The location is perfect, with plenty of restaurants within easy walking distance. My room was superb! Huge and very quiet. Luxuriously furnished, with all new furnishings, carpeting, very plush and comfortable bed with nice linens and pillows. big flat-screen TV and comfortable seating. Bathroom was large and very nicely appointed. I was thrilled with my stay, and the gals at the front desk were very nice. I ate dinner one night at the restaurant off the lobby and the waitress took very good care of me. prompt service, food was very good. Overall a very pleasant and comfortable stay. My only tiny gripe was the very slow internet with weak signal to the 7th floor.

Room Tip: I was in room 710, a very large room with recessed entry off the hall, making it very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We've spent two nights in this hotel but unfortunately we had a terrible experience at breakfast with hotel coupons. As we are foreigners probably we couldn't understand perfectly well how the breakfast coupon worked and the result was that at breakfast we were treated as thieves by the general manager of the hotel's café who started to shout at us and told us we didn't want to pay. The problem was that we thought the coupon was per person instead of being per room maybe because in Europe we do not reason per room but per person.
Anyway we couldn't imagine to be treated like this, as people who want to steal breakfast, especially if you think that the hotel, for precaution, keeps your credit card number.
Also I must say that breakfast was very low profile, we couldn't get what we asked for because apparently they had just finished everything. Also we had to ask three times to get a spoon, a knife and so on.
We've travelled all over the world and thanks God we had never seen something like that.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CloItaly
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Berkshires, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Dear CloItaly,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I'm deeply sorry for the unacceptable experience you had during your stay. I also sorry you were not satisfied with our breakfast options. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We would like to obtain some additional details regarding your stay so we have sent you a private message. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed here twice, using free PointBreaks, while finalizing a vehicle purchase in Chesire, MA. I found nothing at all to complain about in the hotel. Free parking, and a free business center. These Pointbreaks can really work well for one's traveling needs. Across the street from the hotel is an excellent restaurant called The Hub. While there is not a lot to North Adams, this hotel certainly is a comfortable base to stay while there.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
The Orchards Hotel
The Orchards Hotel
#5 of 13 in Williamstown
Best Western Plus Berkshire Hills Inn & Suites

Been to Holiday Inn Berkshires? Share your experiences!