“Great food, cold staff”

Gramercy Bistro at MASS MoCA
Reserve with OpenTable
Gramercy Bistro at MASS MoCA is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 56 Restaurants in North Adams
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: St Anthony Drive
Description: Chef Alexander Smith is always committed to using the finest and freshest ingredients around. supporting independent farms, locally and abroad, since opening in 2001. we buy organic, farm raised food and are proud members of Berkshire Grown.
“Great food, cold staff”
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Ate at Gramercy on a recent weekday evening. We were one of three parties in the restaurant. We were seated quickly by a friendly guy but had to wait a long time to place drink orders with a very crabby server. I am not exactly sure how long it took, but it was long enough for my husband and I to consider walking out.

Drinks were great, once we had them. We ordered a grilled wedge salad to share, which was good. The server told us it would be made with iceberg lettuce, when in reality it was romaine. I would prefer romaine any day so it didn't matter, but she should have known the difference, I was surprised she didn't. We also had tuna, which was perfectly seared and flavored, as well as scallops, which were sublime.

The food here is always so good, but I wonder if the management cultivates the cold affect in the waitstaff. It feels like they think that to be a high-end bistro the staff should be removed and aloof. If so, I need to say I disagree. Eating at Gramercy would be an infinitely better experience if the servers were warmer and if it did not feel like you are bothering them by ordering something or asking a question. The truth is, we will continue to eat here, but would do so much more often if it felt more welcoming.

2 Thank Josie B

Cape May Court House, New Jersey
“Rehearsal Party”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

This review is for a catered event. We were served heavy h'orderves that were fairly mediocre, though some things were delicious. The meat satay/shishkabob was dismal (everyone agreed at the party) while their pulled pork slider was pretty good. The shrimp wrapped in prosciutto had an interesting sauce that was good, as well as the stuffed mushroom. The lobster roll slider was bad because the buns were a touch stale. The cheese table was excellent. Full bar. Good service. Great venue.

Visited May 2014
Holyoke, Massachusetts
“exceptional”
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I thought my GPS had brought me to the wrong place, as signage was minimal and I wasn't expecting the former warehouse exterior, but once inside, I could tell that Gramercy Bistro offered something special. I started with a wonderful, perfectly balanced carrot ginger soup. Wow. I chose the sesame tuna as my entree, it was better than I could hope for. The chef combined traditional Asian ingredients with a French flare and I was not disappointed. The tuna arrived perfectly rare, encrusted with sesame seed. The savory sauce distinguished it from tasty to superb. I truly can't say enough about the flavors of my meal.
What this venue lacked was music. The place seemed oddly quiet until the room filled. Then everything was just fine. What a gem in tiny North Adams!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank puppy_charmer
Clarksburg
“High end experience”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

This is a local North Adams restaurant with high end European touches. The menu is just extensive enough with several great choices plus daily specials. Service was excellent with plenty of time between courses to enjoy conversation with friends. If you like to drink spirits you are in the right place as the selection is awesome. Parking is excellent, easy to find location at Mass MOCA. Pricing is moderate to high. Expect to spend $50 - $70 per person including tip.
Pastry Chef on premises.

• Visited January 2014
Lebanon, New Hampshire
“Worth it!”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We came to North Adams for an overnight trip to visit Mass Moca. We wanted a decent restaurant and the reviews/menu for The Gramercy Bistro were tempting. We were delighted with our choice. It was close to our hotel, quiet, refined, and the food was delicious with quality ingredients. We had to try appetizers, main, and dessert. A note- we had to take the desserts and part of the dinner home. The portions were a little large. We highly recommend the mussels appetizer. Also, the house salad was less than basic...beautiful and simple. Enjoy!

• Visited December 2013