“Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in North Adams
Williamstown, Massachusetts
“Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

we wanted to stay there since it was opened, we finally made it last week! Loved the style. Warm and cozy. None of the area hotels can beat outdoor heated pool, hot tub. Sauna is a plus. We loved our room, it was very spacious and clean. Breakfast and coffee was delicious. Service was amazing from arrival to departure. Everyone had great smile. Manager gave us some information about architecture, she showed us couple of different rooms, she was very nice and informative. Each room was different, all were beautiful. Didn't want to leave, will be back soon.

Room Tip: Ask king room with a porch
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
mel k, Manager at The Porches Inn at MASS MoCA, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and wonderful feedback.

It was my pleasure to spend some time with you and explain all little fun details. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will be back soon!

Best Regards,

Mel@Porches

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Riverside, Rhode Island
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Until Porches, we would not have known what "retro-edgy" was, nor "granny chic" for that matter. These are terms Porches uses to describe itself. Retro-edgy, it turns out, is a hotel that offers both an outdoor hot tub and a communal fireplace in the dead of a Berkshire winter. And granny chic describes the decor of 19th-century factory row houses turned into comfortable hotel accommodations. Porches is a reflection of Mass MoCA, North Adams' terrific contemporary art space. The hotel will continue (and extend) your musuem visit. You can read the latest ARTFORUM at its continental breakfast. It doesn't happen often, does it? Stay at this place; you'll love it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
mel k, Manager at The Porches Inn at MASS MoCA, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate for your recent stay and the feedback.

It makes us happy to hear that our guests enjoy their stay.

We hope to see you back in our Retro Edgy- ''Granny Chic'' Inn soon!

Kindly,

Western MA/Upstate NY
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Very nice rooms, particularly the showers and baths. The cat in the lobby is very friendly and calming. Unfortunately the location, next to some very low rent houses is less than optimal. But the location to MASS MoCA is perfect.

Perception of the manager as a bit abrupt and rude (on the phone), but I believe this to be more cultural rather than poor manners.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and the feedback. It's very appreciated.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am so sorry that my strong Eastern European accent came across as abrupt or rude. I am trying my best to soften my accent as much as I can.

Please come and visit us again soon.

Wellesley, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We went to North Adams exclusively to go to MassMOCA. Porches was perfectly located for that but it was also a unique and friendly hotel. We were in the Blue building and had a room for four people. Our kids (15, 9) loved that we had a circular stairway right in the middle of the sitting room. Each of the bedrooms had a tv but we wished that the sitting area had had one as well.

The continental reakfast was delicious and they didn't mind us taking it back to our room - in fact they had trays for just that purpose.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and providing a feedback.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and two bedroom suite accommodated your family well. It's spacious and comfortable for families, two bathrooms are definitely convenient. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed in room breakfast.

We look forward to having you back soon!

Best Regards,

Boston, MA
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Situated in the valley surrounded by Western Massachusett's highest peaks, sits the town of North Adams. Originally known for it's manufacturing (long since departed), it now hosts a thriving artistic community anchored by MassMoCA. Only a few housing options exist beyond the ordinary and standard bread/breakfast fare. Meeting a growing need for more sophisticated lodging is Porches Inn situated in a row of restored houses along the riverbank facing the hulking museum. Fashioned with above average luxury but keeping historic images in place, the Inn is a success. Clean, comfortable and colorful, the Inn meets modern expectations with not only fine linens, private baths, and comfortable beds but also adds humor and nostalgia with period lamps, paint-by-number paintings and just enough antique bits. The staff are uniformly helpful and cheerful. Breakfast is offered in the room rate and sets a high standard for more than the usual continental fare. If I had to find a small defect, it would be the lack of adequate sound proofing between floors. Maybe that was on purpose to imitate the Inn's sister hotel the Red Lion in Stockbridge -- well known for it's creaking floors. All that aside, it is a place to return to time and time again.

Room Tip: Ask for second floor rooms to avoid the overhead foot traffic.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank topnotch_10
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for your recent stay and the feedback.

We hope to have you back soon.

Kind Regards,

Rhinebeck, New York
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Overall, I enjoyed my recent visit to the inn. The place is cute and close to the museum. But the management loses points on the question of making rooms safe for allergy sufferers.

Upon making my reservation online, I informed the inn that I was allergic to down. I asked that my room be made down-free, but when I arrived there was a down duvet on the bed. I called down to the front office and the problem was resolved pretty quickly, so this was simply an inconvenience.

I noticed that the down comforter they removed was left atop the TV stand, but that was no biggie for me because it only affects me when it's next to my face and body.

After the housekeeper came to straighten up the room the next day, however, I noticed that the down comforter that used to be atop the television stand was gone. I figured that the housekeeper simply took it out of the room, so I went about my day and went to bed pretty late. It didn't take me long to figure out that (for some reason) the down comforter had been put back on the bed--runny eyes, sore throat, clogged nose. I was miserable, but it was so late at that point and I was so tired that I just pulled the duvet off and slept under the light bedspread, which I doubled up. Not only was I cold, but I suffered an allergic reaction for about an hour after that. I felt sorry for my neighbors who had to listen to me cough and sneeze at 1 in the morning! (And those walls are super-thin.)

When I complained, upon check out, I only got a "Hm...that's weird. Sorry 'bout that." There was no gesture to make up for this. I wrote a letter to the management afterward, but they did not respond.

I would have gone back had the management taken this seriously. Now, I'm not so sure.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
mel k, Manager at The Porches Inn at MASS MoCA, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Elizabeth,
We have communicated before your feedback launched here and it was nice to hear your return plans in March. I am sure that you realized how important for us to have our guests stay comfortably. We look forward to having you back in March.

Mel@ Porches
Okinawa
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We spent the first two nights of our honeymoon here. It was amazing, and not because we were blinded by nuptial bliss or anything. Porches is quaint and comfortable, but surprisingly modern. The rooms are vintage, but very clean. Our room possessed exactly what we wanted without being pretentious, cold, or over the top. It was simple, but perfect. The fitness room was great for a small hotel...multiple treadmills, lots of weights, machines, a pull-up bar, and very clean. The pool was small, but open for the winter! The sauna was big enough, and not crowded, fitting six adults more than comfortably. The breakfast was again simple, but delicious. It had fruit, cereal, croissants, CHOCOLATE croissants (which were tasty!), raisin bread, cheese, plain bread, and homemade granola, and some other stuff I can't remember. Best part of all were the free (I'm pretty sure they were free) New York Times in the common room. We crushed the Monday crossword puzzle. Gramercy's served a great dinner and was within walking distance despite the biting wind.

Room Tip: King size bed was nice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chad e
mel k, Manager at The Porches Inn at MASS MoCA, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate for your time and feedback.

We hope to see you soon in he near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Adams
The Williams Inn
#4 of 13 in Williamstown
Vacation Village in the Berkshires
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox

Been to The Porches Inn at MASS MoCA? Share your experiences!