“Nice place, kinda funky.”

The Porches Inn at MASS MoCA
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in North Adams
Reviewed October 11, 2012

they definitely make an effort the rooms are clean and uniquely decorated bathrooms are large with a tub and a nice shower. they offer breakfast in the morning which is mostly Continental but with good coffee and cereal, muffins.
Adams is a sad town, its glory days have long since passed .

• Stayed: October 2012
mel k, Manager at The Porches Inn at MASS MoCA, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us, we hope to see you back soon.

There are newer reviews for The Porches Inn at MASS MoCA

Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband and I were excited to stay here for our anniversary. I anticipated an artsy, hip off the beaten path kind of spot to stay in. For the decor, I will give it that. It was clean, comfortable, and I enjoyed it. However their customer service and breakfast were a total disappointment, making me second guess why we spent so much money coming here.

We were checked in my a guy that didn't tell us anything unless we asked! I would expect someone a little more friendly to greet their visitors at the desk. But their breakfast was what perhaps disappointed me the most.... for breakfast, they served the same thing every day:
stony field farm yogurt cups (flavored)
cold cereal boxes
oatmeal packets
COLD hard boiled eggs
muffins that tasted like pure sugar...the kind you get at a gas station when you are in a crunch
granola
cold, hard croissants
grapefruit halves
bread, which could be toasted

Um....sorry, but I would expect this from the holiday inn...not when I'm paying twice the price for a room! Would it kill them to provide a decent muffin in th morning?!

Although the bed was comfy, I can't say I'd stay here again unless they upgrade their breakfast and get a new desk guy!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank shannon n
mel k, Manager at The Porches Inn at MASS MoCA, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and the feedback.

We work very hard to provide the best service possible. We provide information about the area to all of our guests upon arrival. There are lots of hiking spot, galleries and museums to visit. There are several restaurants to dine. I am very sorry that you had to ask to receive these information.

We only provide Continental Breakfast, unfortunately do not provide any hot breakfast items. We do bake everything here, so all bake items are freshly provided. I am very surprised to hear that the bakes were hard and crunchy! Granola comes from Bola Granola which is very higly recognized local company. We have three different types of bread, cinnamon-raisin, farm batard and Multi-grain, which also comes from a local bakery.
Our rate is very comptetive. Other hotels in the area offer the same rate or higher without any type of breakfast included.

Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

Adorable, redone inn with in walking distance to downtown. Across from Mass MoCa and quiet. Accommodating to dogs with a treat left during turn down service! Great stop for leaf peeping and close to Mount Greylock.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Laurpalma

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and the feedback.

We love pets and we have one designated pet friendly building for the families who have pets.

Hope to see you soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed September 25, 2012

For those who like to stay in places unlike any other this is a place for you. The pool area is amazing. The rooms are comfortable and yet you feel like your in a triple decker in the 40's. The paintings on the walls, the plates from different states, all add to the feeling you get when anywhere on the property.

Room Tip: Not a bad room. Ask to see different rooms. Some have small porches, living areas and sizes.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and feedback.

We like being different and we are happy that you recognized our difference.

We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We celebrated a wedding anniversary with a weekend at Porches paired with nearby art and hiking opportunities. Our king corner room overlooked the pool and firepit area and I loved the deep clawfoot tub and massive, comfortable bed. Decor is a charming mix of antique and modern, and the hotel's construction/reclamation is fascinating, the rowhouse connections visible in the hallways. We spent a lot of time relaxing in the hot tub and warm pool - 24 hour access was so lovely in that it allowed us to pursue daytime activities and then come back and relax after dinner on our own time when most hotels have usually closed those options. In addition to our terrific room and other facilities, staff made us right at home with Scrabble, our wine and the fireplace in the reception common area. The surroundings are industrial mill-town, so it's not country farm picturesque, but if you're looking for a fun, comfortable, lux place to stay literally steps from a world-class museum, this is the place. I'd return any time we are in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I appreciate for your feedback. It was very nice to have you stay with us.

We look forward to having you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Tucked away in North Adams, this charming inn provided an enchanting stay. Every detail was seen to, from the overall ambiance to the most comfortable bed and linens to even the shampoo and soap. The staff was friendly and informative. There is a hot tub and pool and even a mini-hike up the adjacent hill. MASS MoCA is right across the street where we also had dinner at Gramercy Bistro. The town of North Adams is intriguing: small town meets the arts. I recommend Brewhaha for some good coffee. My wife and I also enjoyed a fantastic class at Frog Yoga Studio nearby. Plus other museums are within close driving distance. Romantic, comfortable, and quiet. A perfect weekend getaway destination.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I appreciate for your feedback.

We hope to see you soon in another Romantic Getaway!

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I liked The Porches and if your goal is Mass MoCA the location can't be beat. North Adams itself hasn't reached 'destination' status but there were restaurants nearby and I got a really good salad at 'The Local' on main street. Lunch in the MoCA cafe --also quite good.
From some of the earlier reviews service at the Porches seems to be variable. My experience was uniformly fine. The room and common areas all very clean, the Continental breakfast plentiful and nicely laid out. The desk staff were polite and friendly.The hotel was not full so things were probably less hectic than a month ago.
The furnishings are eclectic (melamine plates and paint by numbers artwork decorated my walls). The TV and DVD player/free WiFi were up to the minute however. The bed and chair were extremely comfortable. My room was quiet because it didn't face the busy traffic on River Street and I liked it's tiny porch. I didn't try the pool or sauna but they looked very appealing.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
mel k, Manager at The Porches Inn at MASS MoCA, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Dear Guest,

I appreciate for your time and the feedback. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Porches.

Paint by numbers and ceramic plates are our signature decor on our walls in the rooms.

Please visit us again soon.

Mel@Porches

Vacation Village in the Berkshires
Williamstown Motel
Williamstown Motel
#3 of 13 in Williamstown

Been to The Porches Inn at MASS MoCA? Share your experiences!