“not a family -oriented hotel”

Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newton
Joliet, Il
“not a family -oriented hotel”
Reviewed July 4, 2010

The rooms are very small, poor lighting for dressing and putting on makeup. the bed is very comfortable, there was always hot water in the shower. O n the DOWN side, the hotel's main focus is the bar and the clientele they cater to, young to mid aged singles on the prowl. You can only access the pool area after 8pm by making your way through the bar, which is jam packed. We did a lot of rushed sight seeing and were ready to just relax by the pool in the evenings, but, it's not a family environment at all. Men leered at my 14 yr old grandaughter each time she had to make her way through the bar to the poolside. Our main complaint was not addressed. Although the hotel has a dog friendly policy with rooms for them set aside, we were disturbed by a dog that had been allowed on a non dog floor, and was in the room next to us, he barked in the late night and in the early morning , the whole time his owner left him in the room. When we complained to the desk, it took 3 calls to learn that the dog was allowed because his owner was a friend of the manager. No compensation was offered for the inconvenience of being kept up all night. We had 8 rooms and were all pretty disappointed with our stay.

2 Thank KathyJoliet_Il

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 3, 2010

Cleaning service is terribly slow, elevators are sketchy and location is not so hot. Not an awful place, but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010

Travelers are raving about these Newton hotels

New York
Reviewed July 3, 2010

Tv didn't work, needed burly security man to turn on shower, sharp edges on furniture in small, crowded room, dismal lighting in the bathroom.

• Stayed June 2010
Ridgecrest, California
Reviewed July 2, 2010

Very nice hotel. Everything about this hotel is eye catching....from the rooms, to the pool, even the exericse room. Good rate booking through Resorts Plus International. Very pleased with what I received for the price I paid. Friendly staff and clean, comfortable rooms.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 29, 2010

I cannot say enough about what a great time I had staying at the Hotel Indigo. The detail-oriented staff, the cool and elegant surroundings and the awesome dining offered at Bokx 109 American Prime left me wanting for nothing. I can not wait until I can go back with my family.

Chef Evan Percoco is an amazing culinary force who, if you ever get a chance to talk with him, will also make you feel that he genuinely cares about showing you a memorable experience.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Boston
Reviewed June 20, 2010

Just stayed 2 nights at Indigo for Father's Day. We traveled w/our 7 year old. I was really doubtful after reading all the negativity from prior guests. I can't help but wonder if they work for another hotel chain:)
Room was small, true, but tidy and efficient. Room cleaned by noon each day. Called once for sofa to be made up w/sheets and that happened quickly, too.
Pool area was lovely. Very friendly pool servers. Pool " boys" worked hard with maintaining it clean and moving chairs around for new guests needing seating or umbrellas moved. Food was good. Decent burger, and easy munchies. Yes, you pay for it, but you are at a hotel where prices are inflated, and your not at Target's food- to- go counter. True, hotel not outfitted w/breakfast choices besides counter w/Starbuck's and more continental offerings, but it was fine.
Restaurant we didn't eat at but heard a good R and B band on Friday. Had drinks in cozy club chairs, and attentive service all the way around.
We had no trouble with doors not closing, that was a biggie on trip advisor. How we handled it was "we closed the door before leaving!" And our faces didn't break out from the pillow cases:) And the pool didn't keep us up all nite and there was an even an after-party for a wedding that evening.
I made a point to tell the women at the desk when checking out that I did enjoy my stay and felt that all the bashing of the hotel on trip advisor was quite harsh. And, one more thing to add is that the room rate is very fairly priced. Yes, it is Newton, and not a hot spot, but they have to make their money, too. I was satisfied with price and would return.
My family and I enjoyed our stay and am glad that with an open mind you can have a nice time.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 15, 2010

My mother always said if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. I will start out with the one nice thing I have to say about our stay at this hotel. I must say that despite what you are about to read, the staff at the hotel is incredibly friendly and provides stellar customer service. Unfortunately, it's not enough to overcome all of the other blazing shortcomings of this property. Please also be mindful that we have to move rooms the second day we were there because of constant problems with the A/C in our room so this review is based on our being able to see two rooms.

First of all, let me say do not be fooled by the pictures of this hotel on their website or any other sites using these pictures. This a grade A top notch airbrushing job. The hotel inside or out looks NOTHING like the pictures they displayed! This hotel is located in the wilderness right next to Turnpike with nothing else around. There are no eateries, no shops, absolutely nothing. Their website indicating that they are within 20 mins of downtown Boston is a total fabrication. Unless you are renting a car and looking to pay for parking each day, there is nothing within less than 45 mins away and if you are considering the T train which is within a reasonable walking distance and the reason we selected this hotel, everything desired is at least an hour away by train as it is the last stop of the green line. Also don't look for any options other than one overpriced onsite restaurant with limited options and overpriced food. The room service menu is even more limited. There are no options for purchasing water or snacks other than an onsite quasi coffee shop with odd hours.

Secondly- the rooms in the hotel. The size of this rooms would cause the most calm person to have a panic attack and become claustrophobic! They are as tiny as prison cells and that's what you will feel like being inside of them. The showers are small, there is no sitting space other than the bed and the IKEA closet is even worse. You will likely have to leave your clothes in your suitcase the entire stay as your empty suitcase and clothes won't fit in the closet.

Thirdly and most important to me was the cleanliness of the room which was nonexistent! This hotel is old with poor presentation (i.e. holes in the wall that had been plastered not painted over, mold in the shower and bathroom corners, dirty walls and floors, stains, etc.). Both rooms we stayed in were absolutely FILTHY, FILTHY FILTHY! We found hairs in all of the beds, stains on the sheets, there was some sort of odd smell emanating from the sheets and bathroom. There were some kind of worms in both rooms were stayed in. The towels were stained and smelled stale. My face broke out the entire stay there I believe from laying on filthy pillow cases and sheets. The headboards and other items in the room looked as though they had not been dusted since 2009 and the leather ottoman had grease on it along with a sticky substance on the remote. In one word, these rooms were the ultimate DISGUSTING! I am by no means a neat clean freak, but this place will give the most liberal person nightmares. It was GROSS!!!!

Lastly, I read another review that mentioned the doors don't close and he was right. You must be very careful to make sure you pull the door close behind you because they do not automatically close. I am not sure why this is, but beware!

All in all, if you are looking for even a decent place to stay I would not select this property. It has the potential to be a great place to stay, but they haven't gotten there yet and have a long way to go. Choose somewhere!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel
Crescent Suites Hotel
Crescent Suites Hotel
#5 of 11 in Waltham
Embassy Suites by Hilton Boston / Waltham

Been to Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside? Share your experiences!