Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newton
Connecticut
“ok”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2008

We were in town for a couple a Red Sox games and spent two nights at the Hotel Indigo. We had booked a two double beds and recieved a queen room, for three people. They told us that they could provide an aero bed. That was fine until we saw the size of the room. The aero bed had to be half under the desk, and with it blown up there was zero room to walk in the room. The first aero bed we recieved had a giant hole in it and was unusable. The bed was horribly uncomfortable and the pillows were like sleeping with rocks. Tiny bathroom, with very little counter space and a shower rather than a tub.
There was this god awful music playing all throughout the hotel. it was everywhere, the lobby, the parking garage, the pool area. The pool area was lovely with a few exceptions, the godawful music, the hot tub was broken and has been for awhile as the lifegaurd told me. There were these gorgeous cabanas, all of which were reserved and none of which were being used. we had to sit on lounge chairs in the sun and wantingly look at the reserved, yet unused cabanas all day.
The hotel elevators were extremely slow. we typically took the stairs but had to take elevators to the parking garage. Hotel Indigo is located directly next to a T station which was conviennt to take into Boston. Overall we had zero issues with cleanliness. We will try to fin a different hotel in the area for the next games we go to.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — small uncomfortable room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank swimberly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Albany, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2008

We were in town for a Red Sox game and stayed two nights. We were at the hotel a couple of hours early and the front desk staff was very nice & friendly and let us check into our room early as it was ready. Our room was clean and comfortable. We did have a problem with the a/c, but it was fixed very quickly.. Overall we were happy with the hotel & will stay there again. I wouldn't bring a small child as the bathrom had a shower stall only. We were happy with the spa like shower, but for a small child who takes baths only would have a problem.

• Liked — Clean, close to the subway
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank CindyG0213
Tenafly, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2008

Why did I like this hotel so much? It had everything I wanted on this trip: agreeable room rates, an outdoor swimming pool and walking distance to public transportation. We were in town for two Boston Red Sox baseball games and I didn’t want to break the bank on accommodations while appealing to my avid baseball fan who normally stays at a very nice downtown hotel with an outdoor pool.eel trapped. The Woodland Golf course is directly across the street so

We stayed at the Hotel Indigo Boston-Newton Riverside at 399 Grove Street, Newton Lower Falls, MA www.hotelindigo.com from Saturday, June 21, 2008 and checked out Tuesday, June 24, 2008. Part of the Inter-Continental hotel chain, the building is easy to find right off the Interstate highway. There are a few parking spaces in the front of the hotel. FREE guest parking is around back on two levels, some of it is covered parking. My car remained unscathed and safe during my time here. Upon entering the back lobby on level P1, there is Zen-like music being piped into the surrounding area. The décor is trendy, dark browns and cream colors with images of birds-of-paradise on flat tv screens. Taking the elevator up to the lobby, it has a wonderful smell. It is a mint-mango mix, quite delicious. The staff was pleasant, friendly and fast. We asked about a refrigerator as the rooms do not come with one. For a charge of $15/day, they delivered a college-dorm sized refrigerator a few minutes after we entered our room. The hotel has 7 floors, the lobby being on level 2 and the public area on level 1. We requested a room with a view of the outdoor pool on the top floor and received room 713. Odd numbered rooms face the highway/pool/parking lot while even numbered rooms face the front of the hotel/Grove Street. We felt the refrigerator charge was cheesy but with all the money we saved by staying here, it was worth it.

Our room was a king sized bed standard room. The rate was the same on Saturday and Monday nights while Sunday night was higher. By booking online, we saved some hotel taxes and received a better rate. If you cannot book online, mention the online rate when you call and they should honor it. You will still get hit with some of the local taxes, however. We still paid HALF of what we would have paid in downtown Boston and hotel parking.

The room was a normal sized room with 2 nightstands, a king sized bed, two night tables, a closet with real wooden hangers, an in-room security safe, an ironing board, an in-room Keurig coffee maker (either Tully’s or Timothy’s brand: Nicaraguan coffee, Evergreen blend, Decaf, Earl Grey Tea, Green Tea), two coffee mugs, a long table that could serve as a desk, a large flat screen tv and remote, lamps, three drawers, a rolling chair, an ottoman, an easy chair, windows that really opened (only half the room’s length had windows…must have been part of the original Holiday Inn design), a complimentary bottle of Poland Springs water (one time only as it was not replaced the following day), a clock radio that plays iPods (you still need to bring your charger as it does not charge the iPod), and one cool designed area rug on top of hard wood floors. The room was clean and bug-free.

The bathroom has a chic modern white sink, swinging glass door shower stall with a wooden bench, wash cloths, hand towels, bath towels, a 1875 watt hair dryer that worked quite well, a quiet flushing toilet with a lid that was rigged not to slam down, tile floor, Aveda bath products (lotion, shampoo, conditioner, shoe mitt), mirror and really cool ‘pebble’ tile in a gray painted room.

The entrance to the public train station is 300 feet down the sidewalk or right next door from the hotel (green line D, “Riverside” stop, www.mbta.com). It took us 31 minutes to get to the Fenway stop on the route at a cost of $2 one way, $4 roundtrip. A 5 minute work from the hotel made getting into Boston and seeing a baseball game so easy. You can see just how close the T station is from the pool deck. Hotel Indigo : no parking fees, no downtown traffic, no outrageous hotel rates.
The outdoor pool is big, nicely decorated and wonderful. We’ve stayed at another Boston outdoor pool hotel and it too is very nice. It just costs twice as much. Hotel Indigo had a pool bar, 4 covered cabanas, and piped in ‘lite’ music. There is one bathroom and an outdoor shower in the pool area. At the time we stayed here, the hotel hadn’t had their grand opening so a lot of ‘amenities’ were not completely open and the pool bar was unfortunately one of them.

There is a Bokx 109 American steakhouse restaurant that too was not yet opened when we stayed here. The bar inside the restaurant was open one night and we enjoyed a beverage in front of the tv watching a baseball game.

A Starbucks-like coffee bar next to the restaurant on level 1 in the public area has limited hours so don’t bank on it being open if you sleep in late one day. We missed the morning shift for a jazzed up coffee (the room’s coffee was fine and we drank all that we were given). Starbucks-like reopens again in the late afternoon throughout most of the evening. Check the hours beforehand if this is very important to you so you are not disappointed.

There is a library room in the hotel’s public area that has a long dining type table, flat screen tv, Granny Smith apples to enjoy in a basket, candlesticks and a chess set.

The “Phitness” Center is one of the largest rooms I’ve ever seen in a hotel for a fitness center. 3 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, 1 recumbent bike, 1 cable machine, some dumbbells, 3 exercise mats, 3 red balance balls, a Roman chair, another apparatus for strengthening lower back, a bench for utilizing the dumbbells, a water cooler with dixie cups, a flat screen tv and a DVD player. The area in front of the tv is large enough to have a few people exercise to a DVD. Towels are provided and the area was well air conditioned.

The business center had at least 3 flat screen computers, a basket of red complimentary apples, and a copy machine that looked like it did a lot more than just printing and copying. I didn’t have to use this area but did look quite functional.
The wifi in my room worked seamlessly and the instruction guide was detailed enough that I did not have to call the front desk to get my laptop to connect to the internet and download my work emails. There were more electrical outlets in this room than in most hotel rooms. We had the phone charger, my laptop, the coffee maker and a lamp all in one area. Normally you have to hunt around and unplug something in order to plug something else in.

The outdoor pool has a low end and a swimmable deep end. They provide towels. I was pleased.
The Zen-like music turns into a hip steakhouse music blend in the evening. The public restrooms are gorgeous with brown pebbles in the tiles and quotes written backwards (Fibonacci like) in various places in the hotel.

Other than what is in the hotel, there isn’t anything near this hotel. I ran a 2.5 mile loop and there were no restaurants or any shopping within walking distance. If you aren’t adventurous and don’t like taking public transportation, bring your own entertainment. Or don't stay here because you might f it might be an option. I don’t golf and haven’t checked to see if they allow non-members but worth a shot.

The reading material provided in the room was more than the average ‘what to do in Boston’ and was nice.

I had a good experience here and will stay here again when I visit Boston for more baseball games.

• Liked — The location: close to public transportation, lower rates than downtown Boston, free onsite parking
  • Disliked — Nothing else to do in the area, must have car or the willingness to travel via public transportation
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Travels_with_Food
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2008

Nice boutique hotel and concept but a bit on the expensive side since it is located outside of Boston proper. The rooms are well appointed and have some nice touches but they are also very small.

Also, the service was spotty with the front desk staff usually more occupied with the ringing phone and not the person in front of them. I was initially put in a handicapped accessible room by the elevator and the front desk had a little bit of an attitude when I asked to switch rooms.

Lastly, my original evening flight into Boston was cancelled so I wasn't able to fly in until the next day. The hotel still charged me for the first night even though I wasn't there. While I understand that it was within the cancellation period and the hotel wasn't obligated to refund the one night room charge, it still would have been a nice gesture. Especially considering the hotel then made a mistake on the bill and tried to double charge me.

• Liked — Boutique feel
  • Disliked — Small room size and service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Jami C
Indianapolis, IN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2008

The Hotel Indigo tries hard to be trendy and "zen" but it needs to try a little harder to be clean. The good: the pool, the pool, the pool! Wonderful cabanas with filmy curtains and upholstered rattan furniture. The music out there was way too loud to be able to converse however. The bad: The rooms are very small....the rooms on the pool side are a tiny bit larger so request that side when you check-in. The bathroom is tiny with nothing but a 4 in. wide glass shelf on which to place your toiletries bag. Not big enough for me! I pulled in a table from the room so I could spread out a little. Of course, that means I couldn't shut the bathroom door. Even the toilet itself is tiny. The lighting is recessed and behind you if you lean in to put on eye make-up. They desperately need a lighted make-up mirror wall fixture and a better shelf if they want women to rebook at this hotel.
Also, I had a lot of dusty bits all over my laminate wood floor (there's just a small area rug in the room) so I mentioned to housekeeping that I needed my floor cleaned. I ran into the floor person at the elevators and noticed she only had a dry Swiffer type floor duster. Maybe Housekeeping thinks those are real wood floors and that's why they don't mop them but I never saw a wet mop on any cleaning cart and I had the same green leaf bit and thread ball pushed around my room for five days. They really need to add wet cleaning of those laminate floors to their daily cleaning. Also, when I poured my tea out into the sink, a few small drops splattered at the back of my shallow sink. They were still there after my room was "cleaned". My housekeeper was very diligent about putting the heavy wooden tray with the books on top of my bed every day no matter how many times I moved it to the table. I finally pushed it onto a shelf under the safe in the closet where she finally gave up looking for it to place on the bed. More attention to cleanliness and less attention to pointless detail please.

• Liked — the pool
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2008

The Hotel Indigo is a beautiful, trendy hotel attempting to take the Boston suburbs by storm...However, it is actually more like the storm hit the hotel. I wanted to love this fun and innovative hotel, but was repulsed by the horrible customer service and dirty rooms. My 3 day stay was an endless string of hassles; I just wound up laughing at the end, because it was all so ridiculous...

Let me begin the nightmare tale--So I arrive at the Indigo with my two colleagues. We pull up to the old, dingy building and are greeted with bittersweet mandatory valet parking. The valets were only on staff from about 9 am to 8 pm, so if you needed your car at any other times, you had to grab your keys from the front desk and go searching for your car in the double-tiered parking garage (no direction was provided). We walked into the gorgeous lobby and were impressed with the minimalistic decor so rarely found in a suburban hotel. The three of us had an easy check-in and headed up to our rooms. The rooms were on the small side, but had modern bathrooms and furnishings, including a large LCD TV. I wished the room had a fridge and a larger closet though. Also, one of my colleagues entered her room just to find that the bed was unmade and there was a dirty towel lying on the floor. She went back to the front desk to request a new room. The man behind the sales desk apologized and offered her another room. However, he also creepily added that he would have to accompany her upstairs to make sure the air conditioner worked in her new room. Being the end of June-beginning of July, I should hope it would work!

Later in the evening, we returned to our rooms to go to bed. I lifted the towel bowl lid to find dried urine spots all over the seat. I also pulled back one side of the bedsheets to find a stain on one side of the bed. Being that it was so late in the evening, I just decided to wipe down the toilet and sleep on the other side of the bed. The following morning I headed down to the gym, which was stocked with various machines and weights, as well as a water cooler and several TVs. The gym offers a great view onto the gorgeous pool deck, equipped with several cabanas, lounge areas, and a bar. However, the TV on my machine was broken and did not have any network stations available. Plus, the temperature gauge had been turned up to 75 degrees and was difficult to adjust. So after my sweaty workout, I headed upstairs for a shower. I opened the sleek glass stall shower to find the tile floor covered with long strands of dark, wavy hair. There was also a nappy wooden bench in the shower (not sure who would actually sit on this) that had blobs of dried toothpaste on it. I was absolutely disgusted.

I headed out for the day and returned with my coworkers later that afternoon. Both I and another colleague were unable to get into our rooms and needed to get our keys reprogrammed. The front desk staff was extremely rude and seemed annoyed about assisting us with this. I chose this time to retort with a complaint about my filthy room. The following morning, the housekeeping woman knocked on my door at 8 am. I asked her to come back later. She knocked again at 8:20. I replied that I would be checking out soon and for her to return after that. My colleagues had similar experiences, and we were all pretty annoyed.

The restaurant and lounge (see BOKX 109 review) were the only pluses of this hotel.

Basically, this hotel offers a lot of amenities and a trendy feel, however the rude staff and dirty rooms are enough to keep me away for good.

• Liked — The restaurant
  • Disliked — Dirtiness and rude staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank intlfoodtrvl
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2008

I stayed in the Indigo for only 1 night but it was a very nice stay. The room, while not exceptionally spacious, was very stylish and modern. The bathroom was very stylish as well (nicer than my own at home) - it only had a shower, not a tub, but that was just fine with me. The bed had 2 nice comforters and plenty of all-down pillows (synthetic available on request).

The dining situation caused some confusion. The room service menu prices were reasonable -- since in my experience that usually means the restaurant itself is priced in a similar range, I thought we might as well go downstairs to dine. However, when seated I was presented with an entirely different menu with very expensive prices! As it turns out the room service menu is provided by the "snack & breakfast bar" and not by the restaurant. So dine in your room unless you want to enjoy a very expensive dinner. Room service did not tack on any extra delivery or service charges either, just an optional gratuity entirely at your discretion.

Parking behind the hotel was free, and the metro station is right next to the hotel.

I would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — Location, stylish decor
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank SuperCyclist
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Boston Marriott Newton
Crescent Suites Hotel
Crescent Suites Hotel
#8 of 11 in Waltham
Embassy Suites by Hilton Boston / Waltham

Been to Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside? Share your experiences!