“Not really suitable for families” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newton
Basel, Switzerland
“Not really suitable for families”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Hotel has convenient location just off I-95 and I-90 and importantly just 300 yards from Riverside T (better than driving/parking in Boston, although hotel to downtown takes an hour on the T). Rooms in hotel were unbelievably small (2 queen room was too small for two adults plus child), so we had to upgrade to king with pullout settee bed which was a bit bigger -susan, head of housekeeping was really helpful in finding a suitable room for us. None of the rooms had bathtubs (only showers with no grabrail or slip-mat; really slippery!) and none of rooms had a refridgerator; only ice vending machine was in basement, not on floor. Only two lifts, so you could spend 10 min waiting in each direction. Very nice rooftop pool area with loungers & gazebo's, but at the weekend totally overcrowded since they sell day tickets and all the locals converge on it (making it impossible to move around or in pool).

Room Tip: Not really suitable for families
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Bluecheese11,

Thank you for leaving feedback about our hotel. It is good to know that our location was convenient for your needs and you found our rooftop pool area to be in excellent condition. However, I apologize that the condition of the room was not completely at par with expectations. We take all reviews negative or positive very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

I hope the next time you are in the area, you give us another chance to host you again.

Regards,

Pam G
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

My mom and I had an excellent stay at this hotel. The bed is comfortable, yet the linens remain even more memorable - so soft, cozy, and inviting!
The hotel was small but exactly as advertised and just what we needed. I was a bit disappointed in the size of the hotel shampoos/conditioners: they were tiny mono-use bottles that seemed inappropriately un-eco friendly.
The hotel dining hall is delicious - young staff, variety, and delicious tastes! All the staff were great, in fact.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dutchess County, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

I booked this hotel to come and visit my brand new granddaughter, who arrived in the world the day before I got here. I am feeling really ambivalent about my stay here. As others have mentioned, the location is great, right off I-95 and the Mass Pike, so easy to get anywhere you want. The pool was nice but inaccessible to guests due to day passes and private parties. Really noisy parties happening often , and hard to find parking anywhere close to the building at night. Not good for a wan traveling alone! But I did make use of the fitness center every day, which was a plus, and had fun exploring West Newton. I was thrilled with my granddaughter, not so much with the hotel. In room movies are $16.99 which is outrageous. No ice and no fridge also made this less than comfortable.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear kmeagle,

Thank you for your feedback of our location. It is unfortunate that you were dissatisfied about many aspects of this stay due to the amenities missing during your visit and noise levels experienced. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and appropriate actions will be taken to rectify these instances.

Regards,

Pam G
Youngsville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I took our two kids to Boston for 4th of July and a Red Sox game. We wanted a place that was easily accessible to the green line and we've stayed at the Hotel Indigo in NYC, which we really enjoyed. Everything was great. Service was wonderful and helped us bring our bags to our room, there were freshly baked cookies in the front, and the room was clean. Our only complaint is that they allow outside people to pay to hang out at the pool. My kids never wanted to go to the pool because it was too crowded. When we got back to the hotel after exploring Boston, we couldn't go down to the pool and cool off because there were too many people drinking and hanging out at the pool area. Bring your own pillows too. Our necks are still hurting! Other than that, great place to stay and very convenient to the T.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Nicole G
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Nicole G,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding our pillow and the swimming pool experience. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I'm surprised this got so many 'very good' ratings.
For starters this is - like so many business traveller hotels - getting tired rapidly and has that industrial soulless nobody cares air about it.

My room had stains everywhere on the hardwood floor and clearly wasn't even hoovered when I entered.
The air condition is very noisy. Might as well try to sleep with a car idling next to you. In fact there are many cars that idle quieter than this ac unit.
Windows are bolted up. So only way of getting fresh air is sleeping next to a car on idle.
No fridge in the room and the only water supply is a single 500 ml bottle of 'artesian water' for $4. When asked at the reception I was informed there is filtered water available in the gym.

Now to the positives.
The bed was comfortable and clean.
The pool and pool area are nice. The gym looks decent but i cant say for sure as i dont 'gym'.
The restaurant is pretty ok but crazy expensive.

Overall I must say the focus seems to have been lost in this hotel. What do I care about a fancy gym, pool, restaurant when I can't sleep and I can't have a glass of cold water? Or at least keep my own water supply chilled. One would have thought they are the basics. As for cleanliness that may have been a once off lapse but staff in general seem uninterested.
I've experienced this over and over in these business traveller hotels. It's prefab industrial nobody cares no attention to anything soulless one of thousands lodging but yet it is expected to generate well over $100 a night.
Some of these are worse than others but this one is defny a prime example.
Will avoid this place in the future.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear realcam,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you have experienced and for the room conditions that did not meet your expectations. Rest assured that the issues you have raised has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Green Bay, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Decent price for a hotel that is right on the green line. Takes about 40 minutes to get downtown by train. The rooms are small but that is all you really need if you are venturing into the city. Pool is good but unable to really use it because they only staff it from 10am-8pm - most of the time when you are not there. On holidays and Saturday night - they have a "pool party" which is not good if you are with a family. It is like a bad version of MTV. I am in my mid 20 and found it very uncomfortable. You are still able to use the patio area of the pool after pool hours but many of the "cool" areas aka cabana areas are always reserved so you never get to sit in them. If you stay there for multi nights, you housekeeping services get less and less. Stay 4 days by the end, we didn't get coffee replacement and no hand towels. They do have Keurig machines which are nice for the single cup of coffee or tea. They also have a nice grab and go bfast area. maintenance staff awesome - didn't have to use them but they were friendly and helpful in the hallways.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Kerry K,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to improve and continually provide the best experience possible.

I am sorry to hear about your experience at our property. I hope you will believe me when I say that your experience is not the norm in our hotel. Please accept our deepest apologies for the poor experience you had in our pool area and for any service issues you had with housekeeping. Your concern is definitely not up to our standards and we assure you that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

I hope we get the opportunity to show you some of our improvements on your next trip.

Dhan M
IHG Care
Whitchurch-Stouffville, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

The front desk was friendly and efficient. The room is ok but the bathroom is in bad shape. The room has a safe, but no fridge. Our room was for 4 people but we only got 2 towels. The cover sheet was dirty with stains in various spots and blood stains in others. Always a long wait for the elevator because it only has 2 elevators but uses one most of the day for room service. The T Riverside station is right beside the hotel and it is only 2.50 to get to downtown. It is also very convenient by car since u can take I90 downtown or I95 to Quincy.

Dear hfw888,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate that you find our location to be convenient and for the nice comment regarding our staff.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding housekeeping which was unacceptable. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Boston Marriott Newton
Crescent Suites Hotel
Crescent Suites Hotel
#7 of 11 in Waltham
Embassy Suites by Hilton Boston / Waltham

Been to Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside? Share your experiences!