“Great hotel”

Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Newton
Reviewed January 28, 2012

We had to stay in 4 hotels in Boston suburbs this month and this was one of our favorites. We got a great deal on Priceline for a 3* hotel. Liked the modern room with hardwood type floor. Added treat was K-cup coffee maker. Bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank RhonaP
GeneralManager21, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2012

RhonaP

Thanks for posting such great comments about the Hotel Indigo Newton Riverside, and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay! Most guest love our hardwood floors. Very hypoallergenic and much easier to keep clean as opposed to carpets. I see our service stacked up well also. I will pass your kind words along to our team. Thanks again for taking the time to write a review and come back soon.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside

Reviewed January 26, 2012

The rooms are very small, with a freestanding closet and nowhere to work. The bathrooms are also tiny, with only a shower, pedestal sink and compact toilet. To put your personal items, use the little shelf above the sink and toilet, but be careful not to knock anything off.

The bed and pillows had me flashing back to military life. Squishy pillows and feather quills sticking in my face all night and no back support.

My most recent stay was winter, I could not get the heat to change, and no hot water (tepid at best). I got $25 off.

I think the Boxx restaurant on premises is expensive for what you get.

Room Tip: Try the Marriott a couple miles away.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Randy S,

I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel. Our rooms and bathrooms are smaller that most, however most people enjoy the contemporary design, hardwood floors, and spa like features in the bathroom. Our Restaurant BOKX 109 is an upscale steakhouse that has recieved great reviews from guests and locals. It is certainly a fine dining experience and is not a fast casual one, which can be disappointing to those who are looking for a less expensive hotel venue. Thanks for the review.

Reviewed January 13, 2012

Stayed at this hotel with hubby while visiting Boston and surrounding area. Great out door pool area with tiki bar and outdoor couches. At night fantastic bands and outdoor fire pits. Our room was small but perfectly efficient and very moden. The beds omg, were fantastically comfortable with down comforters and pillow top mattress. I loved the beds. Only drawback is the steakhouse on site is extremely pricey. The indoor bar is large and fun. The hotel is directly next door to train station and bus station, green line takes u into Boston or Fenway and surrounding towns. Only problem is the lighting in the bathrooms is terrible. But I have stayed here three times and was very happy.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

yogidavis24,

Thanks for the wonderful review and kind comments about the Hotel Indigo Newton Riverside and our Restaurant and Pool - BOKX 109 American Prime. I will pass along your kind comments to our team and hope you will keep coming back again and again! Thanks.

Reviewed January 1, 2012

I was very excited about staying at the hotel after a friend had taken me to the restaurant (Bokx) over the summer. The furniture was so modern and I was in love with the outdoor fire pit and lounge.
Now I know I wasn't going to get to enjoy the outdoor space when I decided to spend New Years Eve here with my boyfriend, but I was certain that the experience would be like what I felt in the restaurant: chic decor that made you feel like you were in a high-end location. Boy was I wrong...
I intentionally booked a King Room with couch, thinking I would get a roomy/suite-like space but it was more like a big bed crammed with an old 70's-orange and itchy couch in a tight room. The first room they had us in had a badly-cracked sink and the bathroom was crummy. The rug was a little drab...a yucky green that just looked dirty. I asked that our room be switched...by then my boyfriend and I were a bit nerved.
So the room they switched us to was a little better (the sink was not cracked) but I was disappointed to find the same weird decor of art work, itchy couch and rug. They went cheap on the furniture and the interior design choices sucks. I mean, I get that hotels aren't supposed to wow us, but when you sell it as a "boutique" hotel and at such a price, I do expect a bit more. The bathrooms were also really small and had no real charm. And it seems that no matter which side you were on, there were no good outdoor views.
The good things were the "fake" hardwood floors and the bed was very comfortable. I slept like a baby. I was also pleased with the service. The hotel service members were prompt and attentive.I think it's an alright place, just not worth the money. You are better off enjoying the restaurant and lounge areas which are well-designed and charming.
Again, for NYE I was hoping to be in a space that was more charming...such a disappointment! I won't be staying here again...

• Stayed: December 2011
GeneralManager21, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2012

Elgador....

Thanks for taking the time to submit a review on the Hotel Indigo - Boston Newton Riverside. I am happy that you had a wonderfull New Year's Eve experience in our award winning reatuaurant BOKX 109, but I am equally unhappy that your overnight guest room experience was not as satisfying. I apologize for the cracked sink, it will be changed out immediately. As for the decor of the room I am a bit surprised by you comments. The same designer/architect used to design the public areas, pool area, and restaurant were also used to design the guest rooms. Although a bit small most guests feel the rooms truly reflect the contemorary boutique image. I am sorry you did not see it that way. Again thanks for the critique and I hope you will give us another chance.

Best Regards

Reviewed December 22, 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Indigo - Newton Riverside to change things up a bit from the hotel I normally stay in while in the Boston area. Hotel Indigo is within the ICH Priority Club, and recent reward point promotions motivated me to give it a try. The hotel is promoted as a high end motel, and the descriptions on their web site suggest a luxury, boutique hotel experience. I would say they have given it a very good try. The decor in the lobby, the hallways and the rooms is very appealing and unique, with modern art and fashionable amenities. The rooms are small, but they have a very European feel about their use of space. The bed was comfortable with the exception of the feather pillows, which were lumpy and a bit hard. I was given a corner room, so there was a narrow window on the side wall, which was a nice touch and made the room feel bigger. The bathroom was nice--no bath, but the shower was very big and functional. I think they delivered on their promise in regards to what to expect from their rooms. However, the hotel falls short on personal interactions with the staff, and those interactions I did have were mediocre.

The check in experience was the only personable aspect of my stay (4 nights). The clerk was friendly and efficient. I was surprised by the big deal he made of the free bottle of water I would receive as a consequence of being a platinum member. Frankly, at the rates they are charging, they should give everyone a free bottle of water--most hotels do. So, from a frequent business traveler's perspective, I was unimpressed. In the competitive world of hoteliers, they want my repeat business, and the reality is, these little perks do make an impression. They may want to go back to the drawing board on this one... I also need to note that the internet access is terrible. Really terrible. It's free, but for me, it was not useful and struggled to download emails.

I had dinner the first night, which was quite good. It was around $50 for dinner (salad, entree and side) with a non-alcoholic drink, and I chose from the less expensive items. The place is quite popular with the professional 30-something crowd, and the atmosphere is hopping. The waiter I had did not seem very interested in my business as I wasn't ordering a bunch of drinks and I was by myself. As a lone diner, I did not feel I was a part of the 'scene.' A better effort on behalf of the server may have changed that, but I am not sure.

I didn't dine in the restaurant again, but I did have room service once. Again, the food was good, but I think dining in my room only emphasized the impersonal atmosphere of the hotel. Finally, the cafe they have in the lobby is poor--very little to choose from in the way of breakfast food. For the rest of my stay, I never saw a single staff member of the hotel. The design of the hotel is such that you enter the elevator from the parking lot and it drops you at your floor. If that was their intent, then they succeeded. I guess I value a bit more human interaction.

Overall, the hotel was nice. Will I stay there again? No. But, it was worth trying once.

Room Tip: The corner room was nice--it made the small room feel bigger.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Paul B
GeneralManager21, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2011

Paul B...

Thanks for the review and we appreciate the feedback. Glad you enjoyed the boutique feel of the property especially the restaurant and the guest rooms. I am sorry the hotel felt impersonal to you, we will certainly work on this issue as we strive to provide a "memorable expperience to all our guest. Our free WIFI is usually very dependable and strong. We will check the wireless access points in the hote to make certain they are all working properly. I am surprised about your breakfast comment as we just implemented cooked to order omelettes, breakfast sandwiches, and other hot breakfast favorites. I will look into this. Again, thanks for taking the time to comment.

Reviewed December 20, 2011

Overall, the Indigo is a very nice, value property with some standout qualities and a few areas for improvement.
The first consideration with this hotel is the location in the western suburb of Newton (a very nice suburb, btw). The hotel is easy to reach - straight shot west on freeway - and it does boast very close proximity to the Riverside rail/subway station, where one can catch inexpensive rides to all parts of Boston. Keep in mind that the Riverside stop is at the end of the line and you will need to make many stops to reach center Boston. We needed to be in Newton, so the location was ideal. However, if you're primarily looking to access the city, the location is workable, but not ideal.

The hotel itself, as one can see from the website's pictures, is done in a clean, contemporary design. Its not a W, but despite its dorm building-like exterior, its nicely laid out and attractively designed - including the rooms and public spaces. A few notable positive features are the business center with mulitple terminals and the well appointed fitness room. Our room was also well done, with a comfy bed, quality tv, and small, yet functional bathroom. The service was very good - friendly and competent at every turn. Another notable plus is the bar/restaurant in the hotel. Its a lively bar scene and the restaurant serves tasty food. (The elevator commute is a big bonus after a few cocktails.)

That said, the hotel has a few rough spots and areas for improvement. First and foremost, the bathroom shower in our room (and apparently in others based on prior reviews) needs to have the grout bleached or replaced. The showers are in bright white tile, which makes the dark (mildew?) patches in the grout stand out and look unpleasant. This should be easily remedied with a bleach based cleaner. If not, its a repair the hotel the hotel should undertake. The hotel should also have small area or kiosk for selling water/soda, snacks, etc. There is only a vending machine and, with no nearby stores, so there is a need for it. Finally, as others have commented, there are a few areas - carpet, furniture, etc - that are showing wear. Especially when you have a clean, comtemporary design, these things stand out. The hotel should stay on top of these ares and undertake repair or replacement as needed.

On the whole, its a place worthy of recommendation and I would definitely return. Despite a few flaws, the value - quite reasonable - and service make this a very good choice if you want a western suburban hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RSBJGB

RSBJGB...

Thanks for the reivew and comments. Glad you enjoyed the location, friendly staff, great restaurant, and contemporary room. I will discuss your review with my maintenance/housekeeping teams and get into any of the rooms that my require a tile regrouting and refinishing. Thanks for bringing to our attention and hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed December 15, 2011

I can't disparage this hotel enough. The smallest room I've ever stayed in, barring a Japanese capsule hotel. Shower only, no tub. Even the towels were small - not bath size. Wardrobe instead of a closet, mismatched amenities.
Clanking, noisy HVAC unit. Toilet not properly secured to the floor, so you pitched forward when you sat down.
Our room was not accessible by elevator, so everything had to be humped up a flight of stairs.
Perhaps some of the maintenance problems could have been resolved, but the staff's attitude discouraged us from asking, and we were staying only one night. Never again.

Room Tip: Be sure you ask about elevator access, to avoid having to carry your luggage up stairs.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

Boston GCC..

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. I am disappointed you did not enjoy your stay. I can assure you that our pet fee is in line with other "pet-friendly" hotels in the Greater Boston area. We will conduct another price review to make certain we are competitive. I wish you had brought your issues to the attention of our staff as I am sure we could have made your stay more pleasurable. Again, I am sorry you did not enjoy your experience. I hope you will give us another opportunity.

Bruce Leaver

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Boston Marriott Newton
Crescent Suites Hotel
Crescent Suites Hotel
#2 of 11 in Waltham
Hampton Inn Boston-Natick

Been to Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside? Share your experiences!