“Well - it looked good on the first sight... stylish etc... but have a second look... You must maintain standards...”

Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Newton
Reviewed June 24, 2011

Well - our company had now corprates with this hotel and so we decided to try it. It was a little difficult to book as you did not get an answer in a time frame you might expect. Due to problems with flight and car rental we arrived at 02.30 am and that's definately not the time you want to discuss the policy and working conditions of hotels. I advise that we will arrive extremely late after 01.00 am. But how should I know that they will shutdown their hotel computer system to check-in at 02.00 am??? I am guest and not working in a hotel. They have my credit card - so I paid already - and it's upto them to keep it open until I am checking in.

The rooms were love on the first sight but after waking up you discovered what you did not discover the night before when you arrive 02.30 hrs: handle of the shower glass door was malfunction (Obviously they have no locktite or a screw-driver there). You must do exercise in a gym to move the door. And my collegues said that she was unable to get water without weightlifting: No plumber available in town: if you do not close strongly enough the water what will not allow the next guest to open... you will have the whole night some waterfall in your bathroom as the wall connection to the shower head is leaking.

I love to dispose my garbage somewhere but there was no container in the room for garbage.

As nice as it looks and all my collegues said what a great restaurant they must have and a great pool area: I did not want see anymore of the hotel - if the management has no passion to maintain a great looking venue. Sorry for that. And asking for payment of parking let me move anyway to another hotel. And I feel so sorry: because if I do not return I will miss the very best mattresses I ever slept on.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
GeneralManager21, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2011

HeinBloed,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel Indigo Newton Riverside, and I apologize for the bathroom issues. I think we need to revisit our preventative maintenance program and make certian our room inspections are more thorough. Once again, appreicate the feedback, it's the only way to improve our guest experience.

Reviewed June 21, 2011

I live in southern Nh and my wife and i wanted some place fairly close to celebrate our 36th wedding anniversary. Mostly we wanted a decent hotel with a really good restaurant and we got both here! The room was great, the staff was friendly and the restaurant (Bokz 190) was terrific! We also brought our small dog which was more then welcomed in this pet friendly hotel. Would stay here again in a heart beat!!

Room Tip: A view of the pool would only inhance the stay!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager21, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2011

RGL Nashua - Firstly, Happy Anniversary! ... and we were so glad the Hotel Indigo Newton Riverside could be part of your celebration!. I will pass your kind words about BOKX 109, our award winning restaurant, along to our Executive Chef, Jarrod Moiles and his team.

Glad your dog was happy too! Thanks again.

Reviewed June 20, 2011

This is a great hotel for friends & family to stay for a wedding. We had our wedding in Wellesley and this was very convenient. We had a large block of rooms (about 25) and nobody had any complaints. The staff was very friendly and the pool deck and bar were fun places for guests to hang out.

If I were to recommend anything to the hotel it would bet that they increase their room service offerings and hours.

The swimming pool is a nice bonus.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

9219 --- Thank you so much for your great review of the Hotel Indigo Newton Riverside. So glad your wedding party had a great stay. Thankfully the weather has finally taken a favorable turn, and you were able to enjoy our fabulous BOKX 109 pool area. I will pass your kind comments along to our team and congratulations on your family wedding!! Come back and see us soon!

Reviewed June 9, 2011

I stayed here for one night on business. There were literally no hotels available in Boston, so I had to settle for Wellesley. I checked into my room and my first impression was "Poor man's W" The trance music and low lighting were familiar...I was reminded again of the W when I opened the door to my room and found that it was tiny. What I wasn't prepared for was the condition of the room. First of all, it was extremely warm, the thermostat read 79 degrees. I set the AC to 44 degrees, but it didn't make a difference. To be fair, I didn't complain because I didn't want the inconvenience of moving or having an engineer come up to the room. Next, I moved the one chair in the room to get a better view of the television, and was greeted with dirt and dust underneath. I found dark hairs on the towels, and leftover soap (or something) in the sink. It seems that they've invested a huge amount of money in the restaurant (food was average at best) and the swimming pool, perhaps they should divert some money back to making sure the rooms are clean.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Murray346
GeneralManager21, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2011

Murray 346 - Read your review and am disappointed we fell down in the housekeeping area, it's usually one of our stronger suits. Indigo hotels are desigend and segemented to be the more affordable boutique, life-style hotels, we do not compete in the Upper Upscale hotel arena with "W" hotels, therefore the more affordable rate. Having said that, your A/C should still be functioning properly and your room clean. Thanks for taking the time to write and I will share your comments with my housekeeping and maintenance deparatments. Take care.

Reviewed June 6, 2011

We stayed here with our extended family for a weekend celebration. I arrived early on Friday and had 2 rooms reserved. We were greeted nicely and told that one room was ready and the other wasn't. After getting the key to our room, getting directions to the room, using a slow elevator, up we went and walked into the dimest hallway I have ever been in. One person in our party has vision issues and i was concerned about her walking in the hallways safely. Our room was next to the linen closet and was very small. It was tight for the three of us to wait in the room. We passed a room being that was open and being cleaned. It was larger and across the hall from the room that was our second room. The front desk was very helpfull and moved us.

Yes - the second room was larger. The beds and linens were great. It would have been nice to have just a blanket not all those quilts and things. It looks pretty when the room is made up - but too hot for sleeping and they take up space on the small floor area.

But Beware -
- if you need to have any lighting to put on makeup - bring your own. The 2 ceiling lights in the bathroom just give you shadows on your face. Leaning into the mirrow to see better just blocks out ALL the light. The same thing happens in the hall by the huge floor to ceiling mirror. Maybe a lighted makeup mirror attached to the wall could solve that problem.
- There is a "desk" table and it holds the TV in the room. We had no light on the desk but we had a desk chair that only fit under the desk in its lowest position (if you had it up high enough that you could sit in - you could not walk past the chair and the foot of the bed - we moved the chair)
- The room is set up so that the head of the bed is the first hting you see when you open the door. I am always awake and down getting a cup of coffee hours before my husband wakes up, but his face was to the door as i left. i guess it was a good thing that the hall lighting was so dim!
- They provide blackout shades - nice touch but if they don't go alll the way to the floor you need to put your suitcase and extra pillow over the exposed area. It seem that the chain that opens and closes the shade has a connector that won't go thru the roller and it stops.

Do Enjoy -
- the bar area and the firepit, but hopefully your room is on the other side of the building if you want to go to sleep early. It does get noisy. The bartenders pour a good size drink and the little bit of food we had there was very good.
- the pool is beautiful but the weather was too chilly to even think about a bathing suit
- the fitness room is very well set up and spcaous for a small hotel

i like the concept of the small boutique hotel but I this one needs to address a few "room" issues before I will be back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Barbara
GeneralManager21, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2011

Barbara, --Thanks for taking the time to write a reveiw about the Hotel Indigo Newton riverside. We are well aware of the bathroom lighting opportunity and agree that this is a capital project that needs to move forward. Have not heard many complaints about the hallway lighting but will look into and see if the fixtures are rated for a higher wattage lightbulb. The rooms are certainly not the largest ever built and I think the designers did a nice job with the space they had. Thanks for the kind comments on BOKX 109 restarant, bar, and pool area. We get a lot of great feedback there. Thanks again for staying with us and taking the time to write thir review. Hope to see you at the Hotel Indigo again soon.

Bruce Leaver, Hotel Manager

Reviewed May 30, 2011

My family and I had been to the Hotel Indigo about 2 years ago and loved its unique style and atomosphere. However, it was too far from our daughter's apartment for us to stay there regularly when we visited. Now that she's moved, the Indigo is near her new apartment. My stay at the hotel this time was even better than before. The rooms are small but sleek, clean, and classy. Everyone who works there from desk clerks to bartenders is courteous and helpful. But by far, the best feature is the pool area with it's comfortable chairs and crystal clear pool. Worth every penny (and more) of its moderate price.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
GeneralManager21, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2011

LAFscarsdale... Appreciate the great reveiw!! Thank you so much for staying with us and so glad you enjoyed your visit. Now that your daughter lives nearby we expect to see you a lot!!
The BOKX 109 pool is now open for business as you noted. Cabana rentals and Fire Pit rentals are now available! Let me know when you are going to return to the Hotel Indigo Newton Riverside and I will make sure you are upgraded! Thanks again for the positve review.

Reviewed May 9, 2011

The rooms are quite small but I'm only here for one night and won't be in the room that much anyway. We arrived before checkin and did not have a problem getting in early. The hotel is right off the interstate for an easy find and is a 5 minute walk from the train as well. The room is clean and well maintained.

• Stayed: May 2011
GeneralManager21, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2011

Thanks for the review! Glad you liked our location and housekeeping cleanliness. I will pass along to the staff. I love taking the subway into Boston from here. No hassles, inexpensive, convenient. Hope to see you return soon. Our outdoor pool, cabanas, fire pits and poolside bar open next weeka!! Thanks again from the Hotel Riverside Newton team!

Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Boston Marriott Newton
Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel
Sheraton Needham Hotel
Sheraton Needham Hotel
#2 of 3 in Needham
Residence Inn Boston Needham
Hampton Inn Boston-Natick
Embassy Suites by Hilton Boston / Waltham

Been to Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside? Share your experiences!