“Not your ordinary Chinese Restaurant”
Review of Rice Valley

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Rice Valley
Ranked #115 of 257 Restaurants in Newton
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
“Not your ordinary Chinese Restaurant”
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

I was happy to see unusual items as Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage, big bowl soups and Lettuce Wraps on the menu. I only dropped by for a take out but will sure dine in next time to try their other dishes. It's a bit pricier but it's worth it.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Ptowngam

Newton, Massachusetts
“Under new ownership?”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We get takeout from Rice Valley every few months, but probably won't go again any time soon.
When it opened a few years ago, they promoted their food as fresher and healthier than other Chinese places, and the food seemed to live up to the hype. Vegetables tasted fresh and crunchy, meats well presented, etc. It did seem a cut above the usual suburban Chinese place.

My guess is that the restaurant may have changed hands, because quality has definitely declined. Either that or the owners have lost interest and are just going through the motions.
On our last takeout, the orange flavored chicken was soggy and unappealing, sesame shrimp was ok but nothing special, and a sliced pork dish was ordinary. On a previous visit, the moo shi was still fairly good.

Sorry to see this happen, Newton could use some really good Chinese places. They may be out there, but Rice Valley is not one of them.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Theo3901
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“No rice here”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I ordered takeout here tonight. Was disappointed to find that rice is not provided with entrees. Unfortunately, I didn't know this until I got home after a 4 mile round trip and found no rice in the takeout order. I called to inquire and they defensively told me, without any empathy whatsoever, that Newtonville Chinese restaurants do not provide rice with Chinese entries. In my 65 years, this is the first Chinese restaurant that has not served rice with their entrees. It was not the fact that I would have had to pay extra for the rice,it was their failure to inform me when they took the order, that if I wanted rice, I would need to order separately.

Their practice of not including rice with entrees and their lame excuse related to local custom of not providing rice puts this place at near the bottom of my Chinese restaurant experience.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Keith V
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Great food and Clean!”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I was very happy with my meal. We ordered Vegetarian dumplings which were really good and my dining partner was surprised and said she'd get them instead of regular dumplings next time too. We ordered Peking Duck, which was very nice and the Crispy Orange beef. It was cooked perfectly and very delicious, but I would have liked it spicy as it said on the menu, but didn't have any spice at all. Nonetheless, it was delicious!
Service was friendly and the restaurant was very clean, even the rest rooms. I am definitely going back! One of the better Chinese restaurants in the area.

• Visited April 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Ni hao newton”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Seated right away. Menus given quickly. No tea???? Orders taken. Food delivery to table was choppy. Try beef broccoli and orange chicken great. Waiters limits understanding of English. They really did not care about customer. Fortunately finally a solid newton Chinese in Newton. Wake up and train your staff.

• Visited January 2013