Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newton
Reviewed October 8, 2010

I recently stayed at the Crown Plaza Hotel Boston-Newton with a large contingent of my touring men's choir. The choir checked out on Sunday morning and one of our members realized he left his GPS plugged into the wall in his room. Since I was staying for a couple of more days he called the hotel and left a message with the staff and also called a left a similar message in my room authorizing me to pick up the GPS from the front desk when they located it. I checked at the front desk and spoke to a less-than-helpful receptionist who advised me they couldn't find the GPS and that I would have to speak to the Manager the next day. I again went down and attempted to retrieve the GPS to no avail. The room had not been rented yet so it should have been easliy found. I called my friend and advised him and he stated that it was almost impossible not to find it as it would have been found if they had to vacuum the room before renting it out again. No luck though and the GPS is declared offically missing.
However all the reception personnel are not to be included in this complaint. On another matter I had the occasion to speak to another reception staff member, Frances Chin, and she was most courteous and very helpful to our requests for directions, weather forecasts and shopping hints. If all staff followed her work ethics I'm sure the hotel would receive many favourable reviews, but unfortunatley the bad reviews are remembered longer than the good reviews.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank IPDSHamilton
CPBN, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2010

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and for your group’s recent stay at the Crowe Plaza. I apologize we were unable to locate your friend’s GPS unit but I can assure you we worked very hard to locate it. Our housekeeping staff keeps a very detailed account of all items left behind in rooms, including multiple other GPS units that have been found, properly cataloged, and either stored for pick-up or shipped to their rightful owners. I sincerely hope your friend found his device in the pocket of his bag at some point when he was unpacking.

I have passed along your feedback to the associate you mentioned… she is definitely a star and we are lucky to have her. We have many great members on our team in the front office, and all of them work hard to consistently deliver great guest experiences.

If there is anything else I can do to assist, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed October 7, 2010

Since having been brought under the umbrella of the Crowne Plaza brand, this hotel has gone nowhere, which is sad because when it was previously under the Sheraton brand, it had nowhere to go but up.

The staff is pleasant but inept, the rooms are nearly uninhabitable, the common areas of the hotel are hideous. Room rates for the Executive Level boast of "access to the Lounge" but the lounge on the Executive Floor is used for outside meeting groups, so those of us staying on the Executive Level have no access; we also have no "complimentary drinks and snacks" as advertised in the lounge. And when it came time to have the "complimentary continental breakfast" included the the rate, the front desk clerk advised me that there was no complimentary continental breakfast. Talk about bait-and-switch: you book at this dump and you get what they decide to give you, not what you paid for.

The franchisee obviously doesn't know how to run even a middle-level hotel and this hole does a gross injustice to the Crowne Plaza's good name. Not my problem, though--my problem was that I didn't get what I paid for and what I got was positively awful.

Steer WAY clear of this dump. Boston is full of great hotels and this one isn't even on the radar.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Since the hotel became a Sheraton, the hotel has replaced all in-room carpets, wallpaper, and windows. Additionally, many of the rooms have already received new furniture. We have also recently installed wireless internet throughout the hotel. Also, you may have noticed that the entrance was completely renovated resulting in a greatly enhanced arrival experience. Soon we will be replacing all televisions, renovating all bathrooms, overhauling the fitness center and pool, and renovating our hallways.

Additionally, an unannounced AAA rater recently confirmed our hotel at a middle-level, 3½ star standard. Many guests have mentioned the substantial improvements that have taken place since the hotel became a Crowne Plaza. While we still have further to go, we believe we have taken some really important steps already.

Also, it is really important to me that our guests have accurate information, so thank you for your comments - I will ensure that all distributed information is accurate.

I would like the opportunity to host you again in the hotel. Feel free to contact me at any time in the future if I can be of assistance. I know that your experience next time would be much different. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed October 3, 2010

Got this one through hotwire, and at first I was real pleased. They are located right on top (literally!) of I-90, the Mass Pike, so there is really easy acess to i-90 and Boston is just minutes away.

I expected a suburban hotel to have free or cheap parking, but they hit hotel guests up for $19 per day. And the parking garage is not connected to the hotel, so you are exposed to the elements between car and hotel.

The hallways were dingy and the carpet was stained, but my room was very adequate and comfortable. There was no noticeable noise from the freeway underneath.

The internet was free, but the speed as abysmally slow: It came in at around .1 MB, aboutyh 1/10th of what one gets from most hotels these days.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank investroll

Dear Valued Guest,

I am pleased that you found the room comfortable and quiet. As for the internet, we have recently installed wireless throughout the entire building and are expecting a bandwidth upgrade very soon. Unfortunately, parking charges are a reality in urban areas and we do our best to keep ours reasonable. Actually, many hotels in the city charge twice our daily rate! Thank you again for your feedback – I know if you were to stay with us again you would be very pleased with our internet speed upgrade!

Reviewed September 24, 2010

3 ½ stars to be exact. Let me summarize the pros and cons:

Pros: 1) the hotel is in a nice and safe neighborhood; 2) there is a bus stop right across the street to downtown and subway, otherwise taxi fare to downtown is less than $30; 3) there are a few decent eateries outside; 4) staff is helpful; 5) the room is big, clean and bed is comfortable.

Con: 1) there is only restaurant/bar in the hotel and it closes at 11pm; 2) bottled water was out in every vending machine*; 3) the hotel is on a major highway so if you are not accustomed to city living, the noise can be disturbing; 4) renovation was going on and some items have not been replaced with new ones; 5) wi-fi still work-in-progress. The computers in the so-called business center in the lobby were unbelievably slow.

* Night manager Saeed checked the machine on every floor and when he failed to find me a bottled water for me, he took me to the staff room and I bought one. Oh yes, even staff has to pay for bottled water!

So, you get what you pay for. It is NOT a downtown hotel. I believe my money is well-spent and I will stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
CPBN, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2010

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. We agree that the hotel is in a great neighborhood. In fact, Money Magazine just ranked Newton the 3rd best place to live in America! Wonderful area, less expensive than downtown, and incredibly convenient!

Also, thank you for identifying areas of improvement. Good news! We are currently working on the groundwork for a second restaurant in the hotel! Also, with our renovation ongoing, we are continually swapping various amenities with brand new replacements. As for the wi-fi, installation begins this week!!!

Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed September 19, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for a week with several other girls while visiting Boston. When my friend told me we were staying there I went looking at reviews and became increasingly worried about what kind of dump it would be. It sounded like a horrible place!
However, when we arrived, we were pleasantly surprised. The staff were friendly and helpful. The lobby area seemed nice and clean. The pool and gym were fine. The bedrooms were a decent size with lovely decor, comfy beds, plenty of spare pillows/blankets, nice ensuite, etc, etc... We were thrilled! The maids did a wonderful job, even going as far as to wipe down the windowsills every day and help tidy up some of our mess (it was a very messy group of girls). The only fault I could find was that the (free) internet was a bit slow, and that wasn't exactly a big deal, it was perfectly adequate. A saw a lot of complaints about noise on previous reviews but we didn't have any problem with that. We had the AC on most nights so we couldn't hear anything besides that. Even when it was off we didn't notice much. Maybe if you're used to the kind of silence that can only be found in the countryside at night (prior to birds waking up) you may find it a little different, but we didn't find it noisy at all.
I assume the hotel used to have a lot of problems before the renovations, but now it's great. I would certainly recommend it. The location is a bit outside the city so if you're not driving you'll need to use the bus and then the T to get around in the city but a weekly pass is only $15 I think so that's not an issue really. There are a few shops/pubs/restaurants across the road so you won't be dependant on the city.
Overall, we were really pleased with this hotel and would use it again.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

It is always great to get feedback from a reviewer that is so well traveled – you have so many TripAdvisor contributions!

Thank you for pointing out our friendly staff, clean lobby, bedroom comfort and cleanliness, and your satisfaction with the overall experience. Also, good news - we are getting wireless internet and increased bandwidth throughout the entire hotel. Installation begins this week!!!

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 18, 2010

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza during a BC Football weekend because I got a pretty great deal on Hotwire. I honestly thought it was fine. The beds felt like the old "Heavenly Beds" from when it was the Sheraton Newton. They re-installed windows so you don't hear the Mass Pike, which kept the noise out. It's a no-frills hotel, but is not at all budget. It's probably on-par with the Park Plaza downtown, but just not in the heart of the city. I can see the inconvenience for getting into Boston, but as a former BC student, I knew that. I think the parking fee ($19 per 24 hours, with unlimited in/out) is actually a bargain. If you're going to be driving in/out of town, it's definitely worth it (and so convenient to the pike). I requested an early check-in, which they couldn't guarantee. I arrived at about 10am (I overestimated the labor day weekend traffic) and they gave me a room right away. That said, I would definitely recommend this hotel. I assume the rooms that aren't hotwire (still to be furnished) are even better.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for pointing out how our new windows “kept the noise out” and how our parking fee is “a bargain” to use your own words. Also, I am glad we were able to accommodate an early check-in for you. We always do our best to make every request a reality. Thank you for recommending our hotel, and we hope to see you again in the near future… there are a few more great Boston College football games to go this year!

Reviewed September 12, 2010

I had the unfortunate experience of staying at this hotel this past weekend. The most modern thing in the hotel is the lobby but that is in need of a makeover. I stayed on the 12th floor and heard traffic noise all night although I was assured by the front desk that it would be quiet. How can a hotel built over the top of a six lane interstate be quiet. The hallway carpets ere stained, the walls were in need of a paint job, the tub was made for short people and the tv was out of the eighties or nineties. When I left on Sunday, the person at the front desk couldn't even tell me how to get back on the interstate which runs underneath the hotel he works at!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank traveler10boston
CPBN, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2010

Dear Valued Guest,

Unfortunately some amount of traffic noise is audible in every urban/city hotel. That being said, our hotel ranks better than most. We have recently installed brand new sound-dampening windows in every room. After the installation, a sound test confirmed our hotel was at the highest hotel standards for sound proofing. The televisions are only about six years old and are being replaced as part of our full renovation which includes bathrooms, hallways, carpets, lobby, fitness center, and more. We are doing the renovations a floor at a time so we do not disturb our guests. We have already completed the replacement of all windows, the room carpets, and room wall coverings. As for directions, our helpful staff is always happy to print out directions to anywhere you need. We hope that in the future you consider our hotel again.

Director of Front Office

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Sheraton Needham Hotel
#2 of 3 in Needham
Allston / Brighton
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Boston-Cambridge

Been to Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel? Share your experiences!