“DON'T BOOK THIS HOTEL IF YOU WANT CONVENIENCE TO BOSTON AND AIRPORT!!”

Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newton
oklahoma
“DON'T BOOK THIS HOTEL IF YOU WANT CONVENIENCE TO BOSTON AND AIRPORT!!”
Reviewed September 29, 2009

Number 1 mistake: booked on Hotwire. I thought I'd take a chance on the 3 star hotel offered in Newton/Brookline/Cambridge area. Well, it turned out to be an out-of-the-way hassle as our goal was to spend most of our time in downtown Boston. Picture this: my 19 yr. old daughter and I arriving Logan at 11pm at night loaded with suitcases. Ok, I could have taken a cab but didn't want to dish out $40.00. We proceeded to catch a shuttle to the T blue line, then we had to catch the green line, then bus number #57 at Kenmore Station, all the while dragging our encumbrances behind us. The funnest part was up and down the steep subway terminal stairs!! The bus trip (depending on how many stops people are taking) takes about a half hour. We were told by the hotel that the bus stops right across the street from the hotel. We had to cross a street, walk down 3 blocks, take a left then go into the hotel lobby--a good 5 minute hike with the encumbrances following behind. By now it's past midnight and all we cared about was a good bed to sleep in. The bed was comfortable, fairly new, however if you don't like sitting up in bed while you sleep, (the pillows were a mile high) bring your own pillows to this place. If the hotel was located near the T or closer to Boston, and had a shuttle from the airport ( I was told they offer it on week-ends) I could have endured this average hotel and been a happy camper for $105.00 a night. However, in my opinion, it should be rated a 2 star hotel at best. Hotwire should visit the place and spend the night
themselves and see what they think of their 3 star resort. The only beneficial thing that came from this entire trip is a laugh (or two) with my daughter and the knowledge that I won't ever book online unless I know where I am starying.

PS If your goal is to stay in Newton Mass and hang out and you get an exceptional deal, by all means, try it but don't forget to bring your own pillow!!

• Stayed September 2009
2 Thank cecilejeanne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Turkish first
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed September 29, 2009

We checked in at around 5 pm after driving all day. Check in was a breeze and the hotel looked nice. We got up to our room and relaxed un packed made coffee . My wife got undressed to take a shower ... No hot water we let it run for a few mins then I called the front desk. They sent someone up with a new room card. They said we had gotten the only room with no hot water. They offered us a free breakfast which was useless becasue we were leaving at 4 am...... So we packed everything back up moved 2 doors down. Wife got in to take a shower ,,,,, no hot water,,,,,,, I opened all the faucets full blast. After about 30 minutes we had warm water I called the front desk they offered us another room by that time I just wanted to sleep ...... Next morning I woke up still no hot water so it was off to the airport ..... I emailed their company and got a computer generated responce ...... I woudl avoid this hotel if at all possible .......... Next morning I spoke with another guest he had no hot water either .... As for the noise of the freeway under the hotel... It did not disturb me . The ear plugs they provide work well ....

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Newton hotels

boston
Reviewed September 22, 2009

I have been coming to the Sheraton/Crowne Plaza hotel for just over a year now and was appalled to find out that the front desk manager i always booked through was no longer there. She was always courteous, helpful, and friendly.
The staff without her is rude, unfriendly, unhelpful.; The hotel was very shabby on this trip and I had to move rooms twice due a faulty internet connection. The front desk supervisor on duty was no help at all (sherida?) and frankly, I won't be coming back here again. This hotel neesd some new staff!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Delaware
Reviewed September 10, 2009

The room I was given did not have a working AC unit. When the maintainence guy arrived, he said that he told them not to fill the room. I moved to another one and it was better.
They advertise a shuttle service, but didn't have anyone to drive the van. And, they didn't even offer to call a cab!
Location is ok--good Thai restaurant and Starbucks nearby, but rooms and hallways are out-dated and have a stale hotel smell. If you're staying in Newton, I would recommend the Hotel Indigo instead.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank extremecommuter
Chobham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Any hotel that is above a freeway cannot be designed with sleep in mind. The standard provision of earplugs on the bed was a thoughtful but foreboding portent of things to come.

Its a shame as the staff are friendly and the location handy for Logan, at a good rate.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
East Amherst ny
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Booked on hotwire and concerned with location . They have free shuttle to Copley square
which made it delightful for the. Low cost. The frnt desk staff was a dream
on day two I inquired about how the mbta Charlie card worked and the
staff offered their own card to use ! You can't beat that service. While still being
remodeled the made me overlook the reconstruction issues

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Suffern, New York
Reviewed August 12, 2009

We just got back from staying Sunday-Tuesday at the Crowne Plaza after booking a room through Hotwire. After reading some of the reviews found here and elsewhere, we were expecting the worst. However, the lobby (and, at the least, the fourth floor room that we stayed in) seem to have been recently renovated. Check-in was fast and efficient, though, on the second day of my stay, I found myself electronically locked out of my room and needed to get my keycards reset. The linens were crisp, pillows ample, desk roomy, bathroom clean, and shower forceful and hot. People may complain about the hotel being directly above the Mass Pike, but I never found the road noise to be a problem, especially with the (effective) climate control system on (not that that was unexpectedly noisy.) However, whenever a MBTA train rumbled directly underneath (a few times per hour), you could definitely feel and hear it (like "thunder that lasted a few seconds longer than you'd expect"), even in the shower. Still, it wasn't something that kept me awake, nor woke my 20 wk. old baby. Also, though I don't know how full the hotel was, I never heard any of my neighbors. In-room internet is wired and complimentary, and there are two Internet-connected computers off of the lobby connected to a (free) printer. We were disappointed that there was a $15/day parking fee (instead of $4/hr, $28/max), with unlimited in/out privileges at the "independent" adjacent garage, though we also found it odd that the parking booth seemed to be "attended haphazardly." (Whenever there was no attendant, the gate was up and you could just drive in or out.) I didn't find the "complementary breakfast"--I think it's something that's depends on the rate you booked and/or whether or not you're on a Club floor. There is a Dunkin' Donuts across the street, and a Starbucks, Quiznos, and assorted local restaurants along Centre St. (no other nearby "fast food.") Especially at the rate I got (about a third off), I'd definitely stay there again. Some driving notes: When "going around the block" from the Mass Pike eastbound to the hotel, stay in the third-from-left lane or you'll find yourself on the Mass Pike westbound. Also, at at least two of the intersections around the hotel, "just because you have a green light doesn't mean that intersecting traffic has a red light."

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank HiFiGuy197
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Sheraton Needham Hotel
#2 of 2 in Needham
Allston / Brighton
Hotel Boston
Hotel Boston
#77 of 83 in Boston

Been to Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel? Share your experiences!