Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel
  • Restaurant
$120
$112
Hotels.com
Sheraton Needham Hotel(Needham)(Great Value!)
$168
Hotel Boston(Boston)
$212
  • Breakfast included
$152
All reviewsexpress buslight sleeperbus stophigher floorboston newtonconvenient locationthe room was nicenew englandoff the highwaylanemaxfenway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 13, 2014

The hotel rooms are large and nicely decorated. The customer service is wonderful. Had room service and the food (breakfast) was excellent. The hotel has 2 restaurants with very good food and fair prices.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
HotelManagerCP, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2014

Dear Deborah Z,

Thank you for such a great comment and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Warmest Regards,
Hotel Manager

Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

The price was good this what we stayed there. Now I know why. Your right over the highway. If you like a hard bed then this is the place. My back was so sore from sleeping there. The beds were extremely hard. Don't think I will go back there unless they change their mattresses

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mikey1128

Dear Mikey1128,

Thank you for your response and for selecting the Crowne Plaza for your mini getaway. I was sorry to learn about your discomfort as we pride ourselves on our premium bedding. Please let us know of your next arrival as we would be happy to add additional layers of under sheeting and blankets in an effort to make it a bit softer.

Warmest Regards,
Hotel Manager

Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

We stated here for one night... The Crowne Plaza's are always great hotels, clean, spacious enough for travelers' stay, etc., etc... However, what was remarkable here was the personnel at night, as well as for the one on the day. After serious issues with my hotel booking companies (expedia and later hotels.com), and hotels overbooking and literally every other hotel completely full... My family and I ended up at the Crowne Plaza Newton where we found the only room available was a one-bed room... And we were four adults :-/
Being 0300am, already exhausted on driving back and forth finding a hotel, the night manager and the personnel were kind enough to allow us I'm that room and prevent my family and I sleep in the car on the streets... It wasn't nice for is as my daughter and son had to sleep in the floor but at least we had a couple of hour rest before we enemy in and search for hotel accommodations for the next days. In the morning, the staff greeted us, didn't charged us for the thee days stay we booked through hotels.com and only charged is 50% of this first night... So we went on happy that there were good people in this beautiful life! Thanks Crowne Plaza Newton and kind heart staff! ;-)

Stayed: July 2014
Erseila, Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Dear dinonasi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am absolutely delighted you had such a great experience with our wonderful staff. I am so happy they were able to accommodate you after what seems like a hectic day of traveling! Thank you again for your time and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon as our valued guest.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Looked for hotels in Boston area (access from Logan airport) with 4 rooms available. This one was available and the price was acceptable. It is pretty far from the airport. The location in Newton is plus if you need a quiet place around that is good for walk or jog through. Not the hotel itself since it is right above a highway. Not a problem to find with any kind GPS navigation (using a free one in a phone). There is a large parking place available (28/24 USD a night). The rooms are good enough.

Room Tip: The room oriented to the village was quiet enough.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank tkarlikt
Erseila, Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2014

Dear tkarlikt - thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am happy to hear that you found our hotel to be around a quiet place. We thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

I've stayed at a Crowne Plaza hotel only twice: 14 years ago, I was at the Seattle Crowne Plaza. Very poor customer service. They stuck me in the worst smoking room on the property - and I'm a non-smoker. Swore I would never stay at a CP ever, ever again.

When my wife proposed the Newton Crowne Plaza as a base of operations to visit our grandkids in the Boston area, I obviously had my doubts. The hotel would really have to please me to raise my opinion of this chain. But we were shut out of the hotels around Cambridge that weekend. I said we would try it.

We arrived in the late evening. The hotel is not easy to find unless you're coming off the Massachusetts Turnpike; the building actually straddles the highway. There is a street-side sign marking the entrance but it was not lit up, meaning I had to make two swings around the neighborhood in order to find the entrance. A lot of the streets are one-way - okay by day, but really tough to navigate at night.

When we finally dragged our bags from the garage to the front desk, I complained about the signage. The clerk at the front desk was obviously near the end of her shift. She said, "whatever, it's a city issue, not ours." We asked for a room away from the elevator. I guess I ticked her off enough that the room she gave us was right across from the elevator. When I returned to the desk to ask for a different room, I was greeted by a different clerk. The woman was nowhere to be found.

The room we eventually got was reasonably spacious. Big flat-panel television, nice toiletries. On the 6th floor, we were low enough to hear the Boston-Worcester trains roaring under the hotel. Get a room on a higher floor, if you can.

One thing we noticed - while the windows offered a bit of the view of the Turnpike and surroundings, we really couldn't see much of anything because the outside of the glass was completely filthy. Do they only clean the windows once a year? A complete embarassment.

Breakfast is served at a bar near the front desk. The bar and restaurant are open for dinners and lunch / brunch. We only ate in the restaurant once. The kitchen puts together a mean lobsta roll.

Parking was plentiful - so, why does this CP charge its guests a $28 daily rate? This isn't downtown Boston, it's the 'burbs. There's a big sign at the entrance warning parkers not to leave valuables in their vehicles, which should translate to, "we don't provide security to patrol this garage on a regular basis, and neither does the Newton police." Be very careful about what you keep in your parked car, and be careful about using the garage late at night.

The main thing the Newton CP has going for it is proximity. It's a reasonable distance from Boston and Cambridge. For us, 10-12 minutes to the grandkids' house was close enough for us.

The stay did not change my mind about Crowne Plaza hotels. I posted a review on the CP site, which prompted a response from management saying someone would reach out to me about my concerns. They never did.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors avoid most of the noise from the Turnpike, as well as some of the noise and vibrations from the trains traveling under the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Cyberchomp

Dear Cyberchomp - thank you for taking your time and sharing your experience with us. We appreciate the feedback and welcome it - as we take it to heart, and see our hotel becoming better because of it. Please reach out to me - emuka@crowneplazanewton.com - I would love the opportunity to speak with you, and most importantly welcome you back to not only meet but exceed your expectations - as we know we can! I look forward to hearing from you.