“Great Location”

Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newton
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Wanted a get away for my wife and myself for the weekend. Hotel staff were friendly and the rooms were awesome. We had our own car so the location was great to jump into Boston for the night. I would recommend this Hotel

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking Boston
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bill D
Erseila, Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear Bill - thank you so much for your review. Your comments are greatly appreciated. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future, whether for business or pleasure.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I bring a group of 30 students to this hotel every February and Jill Cashman in sales and the entire staff make the trip easy. Our rooms are always well prepared in advance for easy check-in, the facility is great and up to date, and there are new restaurants in the hotel. There is also free wireless.

This year there was a big snowstorm that impacted our travel plans and Jill was very accomodating, allowing us to change our reservations to deal with the contingencies. The entire staff is very friendly and always available when needs arise.

The price is also great -- as good or better than any hotel in the area.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Stefan - We're happy to hear that you and your group had such a seamless experience. Our co-workers are devoted to excellent service, and it's a joy to hear that you and your group experienced just that. Thank you for recognizing Jill, she is great. Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights with friends in early April.

I booked online, and pre-paid for a pretty sweet price, given what other hotels in Boston were charging that weekend. Before arriving I called three times to update the number of people staying in the room, and to request a roll-away (cot) bed. I was advised in advance that there was a $15 per night charge for the roll-away -- which I questioned, considering I've never had to pay for one before, at any other hotel.

I called the day before arriving to advise of a late arrival (around 4am). During the drive there, we encountered bad weather & driving conditions in the New Hampshire mountains, which lead to an arrival around 6:15am.

Upon our arrival, we were advised that it was a "good thing" that we got there late, because overnight a pipe had burst near our room, which would have flooded that room. Despite my repeated requests and confirmations for a room with two beds + a roll-away, given the flood situation, none were available.

We were comp'ed breakfast, and were checked into a king bed suite, where we caught 20 minutes of sleep, freshened-up, and went out to see the sights in Boston. Prior to leaving, I checked with the front desk, and was advised that our luggage would be moved to a new room with 2 beds, and a cot.

Late that night, after a Sox game, we returned to find an older room with 2 "beds" and a cot -- as I requested. Much to our disappointment, one of the 2 beds was badly broken. But considering the fact that we had all been up for 2 days straight...we took our lumps (literally) and got some sleep.

The following morning I got a nasty surprise, in the form of a $120 + tax bill and charge to my credit card for a no-show. When I went to the front desk to ask why they would charge a no-show on a pre-paid room...the staff said it was because I arrived late. I pre-paid!!!!!

After protesting and discussing for 15-20 minutes, they agreed to reverse the charge, and give me a $0-balance invoice. Ironically, in the end they forgot to charge for the roll-away, and for the extra persons in the room.

Yes, I scored...but not because I was being done a favor. I realize the late check-in, and room swap due to the flood was likely a confusing issue, however what a billing headache.

The 2 guys that checked us in early Saturday morning were awesome...the others...not so much. I'd stay here again, but only for a cheap price...not worth full price in my opinion...

*On a side note...when we asked one of the waiters how far the nearest subway station was, he told us Newton Center was about 10-15 minutes away. Maybe by car, or if you're a fast runner; we found it to be a solid 40+ minutes on foot. Just a little FYI

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank red_hemi_rt_2008

Dear red_hemi_rt_2008 - thank you for the incredibly detailed feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to share each aspect of your experience and have shared your comments with our co-workers. Since your last visit we have had some additional training on the area's mentioned, and we can only hope that future travels to Boston will return you to our hotel, to experience it first-hand. We know you have many options when traveling and appreciate that you chose Crowne Plaza Newton.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

That's what I have to say. A lot of things about this hotel are pretty nice. There's a good restaurant that refuses to publish its hours, the rooms are nice, and there's what looks like a nice 42" TV in my room that I haven't turned on.

HOWEVER, the internet access here is throttled and otherwise "managed" and so I can't, for example, email a 5MB scanned piece of tax paperwork that someone needs. Nor can my phone download podcasts, which keep me sane and are not really that big of a data draw. In this day and age, can we please just have real internet access? It's like having running water. It should not be an issue.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Erseila, Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Deark Burke - we would like to thank you for taking your time and sharing your concerns with us. We would like to assure you that we take all guest comments to heart, and appreciate the feed back. Currently we provide 12 mbps download and 12mbps upload, and we have no restrictions on the amount of data sent via email. We have tested numerous areas in the hotel, around room 809, and it seems that podcast is working properly. Although we did not locate a problem, we understand that there are times that we all have technical issues - and, we are sorry that our Engineers as well as our IT department was not made aware of your frustrations... we would have absolutely worked towards a resolution with you. We would love to have you back, and should you return to the area - please email me directly at emuka@crowneplazanewton.com - and, we will assure that your data services are working properly. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

I arrived late (after 11pm) and was weary of the check in staff at this hour. Iqbal was at the front desk and greeted me warmly and make me feel incredibly welcome. She was conversational and polite without being too chatty. Within a minute I had my room key and she offered me a drink. The room was newly renovated and had a great view of the Boston skyline.

Room Tip: Choose an east facing view to see Boston
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank rpoyas

Dear rpoyas - thank you for sharing your experience with us, and thank you for recognizing Iqbal. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and would love to have you back.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Checking in was easy. The desk clerk was courteous and pleasant. Our room was clean, beds very comfortable, bath room clean with plenty of towels. Despite highway running underneath the hotel, on the 7th floor it was pretty quiet. The sound of passing traffic was minimal - and I'm a light sleeper! Can't beat the price either!

We had a very good experience at The Crowne Plaza in Newton.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Ernestine - thank you for taking the time and sharing your experience with us. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

We have stayed at the Newton Crowne Plaza previously. The location is close to the placew e visit. Upon checking in for a four night stay we were greeting by a very pleasant receptionist with a Kennedyesque "Bastin" accent. We entered our room after a long airplane trip so my wife immediately went into the bathroom. While in there she moved the waste can and crawling under it was a suspicious looking little bug. We Googled BEDBUG and there was its exact enlarged replica. Room service sent up two workers who looked at both the bedbug and the Google image. They helped us move out luggage to a room on a lower floor. They promised that they would report the matter to the Manager and he would be in touch with us the next day. Nothing happened and we spent the next four nights with phantom bedbugs crawling on us. We never heard anything from the management. We isolated our luggage when we returned home and didn't find anymore bedbugs. But one is enough for me. No more stays at the Newton Crowne Plaza.

Room Tip: If you don't mind the bedbugs, Get a room on the 10th floor because this place is on top of Inte...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jim B
Erseila, Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Dear Mr. Jim - thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We understand your concerns, and we are truly sorry to hear about the incident. We would like to assure you that we take this matter VERY seriously, and we currently have a vigorous program in place, to ensure that such incidents don't occur at the Crowne Plaza. We did have our pest control company come in right away, and we are happy to inform you that they did not find any evidence or activity of bed bugs. Please, once again, be assured that we treat and check all our rooms on a consistent basis, as we are aware that bed bugs can be brought in by guest's luggage. We are happy to hear that the remainder of your stay was without reoccurring incident, and that your luggage was found free of any unwanted bugs. We would love to welcome you back, as well as have an opportunity to speak with you - as we somehow missed the opportunity to speak with you, while you were here. Please email me at: emuka@crowneplazanewton.com. Thank you for staying with, and we are terribly sorry for your experience, but happy to report that it was not a bed bug!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Boston Marriott Newton
Residence Inn Boston Needham
Crescent Suites Hotel
Crescent Suites Hotel
#2 of 11 in Waltham

Been to Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel? Share your experiences!