“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newton
Bethel, Maine
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stopped here after leaving Logan airport in a snow storm. The hotel was easy to get to and had covered parking (a plus with the storm). The staff were friendly and professional. Our room was very clean and the bed comfortable. After reading other eviews we were not expecting to have such good accommodations. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
CPNewtonGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear PVR,

Thank you for your very favorable review! I was glad to hear you had an enjoyable and comfortable stay. We host many distressed travelers during snowstorms - a quick exit off the Mass Pike - and our staff looks forward to welcoming these weary travelers with smiles and warmth as they ride out the storm from the Crowne Plaza Newton. Next time - visit when it's sunny and enjoy a beautiful day in Boston! Once again, thank you for sharing your nice comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Restaurant is seperate from the hotel, but no one bothers to tell you that until you have an $11 Grande Marnier, a $2 teabag , and no way to bring it to your room because of MA law. Great fun. Stay somewhere else. The restaurant is called Social. Rude staff. I'm done.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Bhadh
Dear Bhadh,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I have discussed them with the proprietor of SOCIAL Restaurant & Bar, and he was concerned to hear about your experience with the staff. He is committed to providing an enjoyable and relaxing environment for his guests; rest assured he followed up appropriately. As far as the confusion with transporting alcoholic beverages, we are limited by Massachusetts Law. SOCIAL holds a separate liquor license, and although they are connected to our hotel, all alcohol must be consumed within their restaurant. However, your comments made us realize that signage upon entry into SOCIAL would be helpful to our guests, and indeed, we now have that in place. Thank you! Soon, the hotel's own Café will reopen - renovated, fresh, and relaxing - and there will be no limitations with taking a nightcap to your room. I do hope you will return to our hotel, and if you do, please contact me directly so I may personally see to it that your stay here is "wonderful"!

Travelers are raving about these Newton hotels

Burlington, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 7, 2014

While the hotel was well maintained and clean, I wouldn't stay here again. The rooms were tiny though the view was fabulous. The tolls getting to and from Burlington every day started to add up. It's located right off of the Mass Pike so it's basically a toll road every time you go out. The noise was very loud especially early morning and early evening when the trains are running more frequently. This place wasn't the worst, but not likely I'll return here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
CPNewtonGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments. I appreciate your nice comments about our well maintained and clean rooms - and yes, the views from any direction are really stunning - whether it be the Boston skyline or the lush trees and architecturally interesting buildings that surround our hotel. I do hope you will reconsider returning. Many guests are comfortable on the lower floors - and actually prefer them...however I will personally see to it that you are placed on an upper floor and assigned a king or double/double room - both of these room types are some of the most spacious rooms in the Boston area. I am confident you will be more comfortable. Once again, many thanks for your feedback.
delaware
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The room was spacious and clean. On the 8th floor, the highway noise wasn't too bad - the heater cycling on & off was much louder. Next time, I'd leave the fan on continuously so it didn't keep turning on & waking me up. There are extra fees for parking ($9), refrigerator ($15) and the breakfast buffet (which we thought was included, until the server brought the check!). If you're going to pay for breakfast, though, it was very good. Overall, about what I expected.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank outdoorgalDelaware
CPNewtonGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear "outdoorgalDelaware"...thank you so much for your nice comments, as well as alerting us to the issue with your heater. We were able to identify the 8th floor room with the problem and address it immediately. I am glad to know we met your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay...next time we look forward to EXCEEDING your expectations. I hope you will give us that opportunity!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Many dislike this hotel's location built over the Mass Pike because of the noise. I totally understand their feelings and had a similar first impression (yikes) but it worked out just fine. The location is really unbeatable - a short ride on the Mass Pike from downtown, Chinatown, Fenway, etc.

The reason highway noise didn't bother me is because I always leave the air conditioner running on high to drown out noise plus run a white noise app on my phone. An occasional noisy truck was louder but I don't expect silence in any hotel. Frankly the doors opening/closing in the hallway at 1 AM were more disturbing.

There were a bunch of small reasons why I didn't care for this hotel. First impression at the front desk was good with a kind clerk who was helpful. But the room was lacking. Bedding and toiletries were nice. But the covers were thin and no extra blanket in-room. There was not DO NOT DISTURB sign so the maid woke me up several times. Late checkout max was 12:30 which was not great.

But the worst was the sleazy middle-aged night clerk. I needed food after 10 PM and he wrote down (from memory) two numbers for places that deliver. No menus or address for me to check. Seemed really sketchy. With my phone I quickly found an all-nite IHOP 3 minutes away (next to an all-nite McD) which Slick "forgot" to mention. I don't appreciate being played.

Room Tip: Stay on end of hallways to minimize road and foot traffic noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank WWanderer
Dear WWanderer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am glad that you found our location convenient and, as an experienced traveler, you understand that traffic and street noise is to be somewhat expected when staying in or close to a city environment. You also provided some very constructive comments that I have personally discussed with our guest service and housekeeping team members. Our night auditor has also been reminded to give guests the printed restaurant information that includes hours, addresses, and directions to all area restaurants. Indeed, IHOP and McDonalds are close-by and open 24 hours - something you cannot find in Downtown Boston! My apologies if his approach was off-putting in any way. We take this very seriously and will ensure we do some important one-on-one coaching.
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

First, the road noise - we were in room 904 and we could faintly hear the Mass Turnpike which travels directly below the hotel. The train (passenger only) would shake the building a bit on our floor - I imagine trains passing underneath on lower floors is intolerable. We ran the fan overnight and neither the trains or highway noise bothered us at all. The parking garage ($9) is adjacent to the hotel. There is nothing much around the hotel - very few food options and not much else. You will have to travel to find any real options. Our room was just average - and mostly modern. I really wouldn't stay here again and the only reason I ended up here was a Priceline bid. I expected another hotel - but...Anyway you won't have bad experience - just one that is pretty average.

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank les p
Dear les p...

Thank you for writing with your comments. We never like to hear that any guest has only an "average" stay. I do hope you will try us again - and ask that you contact me directly to assist with your next reservation. Newton is becoming a "hot bed" of new activity for Boston-area restaurateurs. Great cafes and interesting restaurants are within a quick drive or taxi/hotel van ride - without the hassle of downtown traffic or crowds. We are currently renovating our lobby and café - which, along with SOCIAL Restaurant & Bar that we just opened in November, will provide you with two unique dining options within the hotel. Please contact me if you plan to return to the area. Again, I appreciate your feedback...
North Carolina
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Had avoided this place given what is obvious when you see it and what is mentioned in all reviews: traffic and train noise. But it's the nearest to our family, and the cost for the week between Christmas and New Years was very reasonable (sometimes it's not at all reasonable, esp. given its shortcomings). They first tried to put us on the 4th fl. over the highway, and I knew enough to press-- very nicely but insistently -- for the highest floor available at the north end of the building. The view was, indeed, just lovely, and the room was quite comfortable with a very nice bathroom. We had the heating unit on fulltime (outside temp. 20F and falling), which masked most of the noise below, but bear in mind, we were there when there was essentially no workday traffic and few trains. I'm a very light sleeper but earplugs worked quite well for me. (I bring my own, but they provide some cheapies, too.)

I'd hesitate to book there if it were a lot more expensive and I had to stay on a lower floor or directly over the highway, especially if you have no reason to be in that particular neighborhood (Watertown/Newton - not much there). Staff are aware of noise/vibration issue and can be very nice about trying to comply with your request, but I sense an undertone of impatience about the whole issue. Crowne/IHG needs to come up with more inducements to stay there, esp. for what they charge. It's not convenient to anything EXCEPT the Mass Pike.

Other caveats: The $9 parking fee is niggling considering there's little public transportation nearby (you have to drive), and I'm not thoroughly sure how protected he garage is. Be aware that they'll charge you $15 for a refrigerator -- no microwaves that I could see. And it'll take you a couple of times to learn how to get into the front drive, how to leave the hotel, and how to get to and from the Mass Pike or other local streets. Some smartphone apps are utterly useless - worth printing out some super-detailed paper maps and then just assume it'll be trial/error unless you know the area.

Room Tip: As high and far north as possible, if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chappedheel
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Chappedheel,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation. We are hospitality professionals who work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we strive to provide service rates that are competitive in the area. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Sheraton Needham Hotel
#2 of 2 in Needham
Allston / Brighton
Hotel Boston
Hotel Boston
#77 of 83 in Boston

Been to Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel? Share your experiences!