“Great last minute stay!”

Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Newton
Hartford, Connecticut
“Great last minute stay!”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Booked through Hotwire for a very low rate. In town to see a playoff game. Check in was a breeze. We have stayed here a few times and it has always been great. Rooms are clean, staff helpful and nice. It's $9 to park, but you have in and out privileges. Parking is cheap compared to what other hotels tack on, even outside the city. Caught a city bus right away to get into the city, however if you are in the city late you will have to take a cab back, which will run around $25 or $30. There was construction going on, but it did not make a difference to us. They provide ear plugs in the room for those that may be sensitive to the highway noise. During our last stay we had kids with us. They enjoyed the pool and it was clean and not crowded. A great alternative to staying in the city if you can't fork over the cash to do so. Price you pay for a room varies greatly on what is happening in Boston. I recommend searching the travel sites first, as going through the hotel itself can make this hotel way overpriced for its location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Our expectations were not high, having heard about the noise, distance from Boston centre etc. We were pleasantly surprised by the standard of the hotel. The staff on reservations were not too knowledgeable about local information and even information about the hotel itself. When we asked if there was a restaurant within the hotel, we were told 'no', and it wasn't true! Perhaps she misunderstood us. Anyway, the hotel cafe/restaurant (for breakfast and evening meal) was of a good standard and pleasant to eat in. There was a lady concierge on duty some of the time, and she was very helpful with information. The rooms were large. The view over the Highway was impressive - though so strange that they built a hotel right over a noisy busy road. The noise didn't bother me at all - it was like a distant hum, which became quieter during the night. Our friends were more disturbed by the noise from an ice machine which was near their room, and they asked to move rooms.
I loved the aromatherapy TempleSpa toiletries that they put in the room near the bedside (in addition to the usual bottles in the bathroom). The leg cooling cream, face cream and little perfume spray were really helpful after our flight from the UK.
It's not too difficult to get into Boston if you aren't using your own car. However, the local express bus doesn't run after 8 pm (you then have a more complicated journey on public transport) and doesn't run on Sundays. We found ourselves travelling in and out by taxi, to make it easier, and it wasn't expensive as we were with friends and could share. The fare cost about 20 - 25 dollars depending on where it drops you.
If you like eating the most excellent chicken wings and don't mind sitting in a noisy bar (at least it was noisy when we were there, with locals cheering the baseball team on television) - there's a little place across the road from the hotel called Buffs Bar (I think), well worth a visit.

Room Tip: The higher up the room, probably the less noise from highway traffic. Watch out for noisy ice machi...
Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
CPNewtonGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
SueSheffield -

Thank you for taking the time to share so many nice comments about our hotel. Our location over the highway with great views, large rooms, helpful and friendly employees, close to Boston, and across from the "famous" Buff's Pub (voted Boston's Best Wings!) - we indeed have it all! I appreciate the notation on the ice machine and central reservations - both have been addressed. Since your stay, we have welcomed SOCIAL RESTAURANT & BAR, a great new dining and entertainment option for our guests. I hope you visit again soon and that I have the chance to meet you next time.
US
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I have stayed here SEVERAL times in the last two years. This hotel is RIDICULOUSLY overpriced, simply because of its proximity to BC, Fenway, etc. $269/night for double room lowest price at end of September. For that price, you'd expect luxury but you won't find it here. Built over the highway, so always noisy -- you can drown most of that noise out with the AC/fan on all the time if you're on floor 5 or up. No microwaves in-room, and they make you pay an additional $9 a night for parking and $15 per night if you want a refrigerator in your room. Usually clean and well-maintained, and SUPER plus is that they switch to a natural no-SLS, no parabens, no crap line of shampoos/conditioners/lotion! YAY for that. Other than that, average at best.

Room Tip: higher floors on south side are quieter (to avoid highway noise)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank trentonresident
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear trentonresident,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. It is regretful that your stay was not 100% satisfactory due to the condition of the room that you were given and if the noise levels were a disappointment. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

We all hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Pam G
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We arrived. I had booked via Hotwire. I travel a lot on business and know the drill well. Whether or not it was Hotwire's mess up or Crowne Plaza's or corporate or local, I still don't know. They couldn't find our reservation in the system. I show my print out that has at least the Hotwire reservation number. The lady at the front desk asks if I'd call Hotwire. I ask, "Could you kindly?" She can't. Evidently it's clearly not her problem. I call Hotwire. Once I get a Hotwire call center agent on the phone, I have her pull up the reservation in her system and then hand my cell phone to the Crowne Plaza front desk agent. She goes on hold a few minutes... And then they talk a few minutes... I ask to speak with the manager. It's Erseila. "Could you kindly check us in and sort this out in your own time since there's an event we need to get to?" She says she can, but she'll have to book charge my card at full rate. I tell her I'd much rather preferred something like, "Sorry for the inconvenience; we'll sort this out for you." Frankly, I got the impression that I was asking for a level of service beyond what she was trained and accustomed to giving. Over the years on business travels I've stayed at hundreds of hotels across the US and in a number of countries. Most definitely I've had much worse experiences but this one was that I have to admit I was disappointed in. It was a personal trip, with my wife, one in which I'd preferred not having so mediocrity and indifference in customer service of staff. Would be pleased to discuss the incident with the management of the hotel if I can be of aid in any way.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GMKR
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear GMKR,

Regards,

Karen C
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Newton hotels

Moncton, Canada
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This hotel is built on the highway. There are 6 lanes under the building (at speed of "65 mile"), plus few more lanes beside it. We can hear the traffic in days and nights. We stayed on 11th floor, the highest is 12th, can still hear the traffic. The hotel address on its web is "320 Washington St. Newton, MA", but GPS cannot found it correctly. In the 1st night, GPS led us to Brighton, MA. In the 2nd night, GPS led us to Wellesley, MA. Both places are not far from hotel, but very confused because there is a super long "Washington St" through the whole county (I think). In GPS, there are many different regions of Newton - "Newton Center", "Newton Highlands", "Newton Lower Falls", "Newton Upper Falls", "West Newton",... I still don't know where this hotel is at exactly. I think that they should provide a better address and direction. When we arrived in the 1st night, it was late. I told the lady at the check-in desk that I had hard time to find it. I asked her "Which part of Newton is here?" But she didn't answer me and she seemed not care. I asked her if the restaurant is still open, she answered "you need ask them". That was very helpful. Her English was hard to understand. The front of hotel does not look like its official web at all. See my photos, 6 lanes highway is behind green material. You will not find it easy unless you know the area well. When I was in my room, my ipad shows its address is "I-90 E, Newton, MA 02458 USA". I strongly recommend the hotel to have a better address on its web.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Snowflower999,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We strive everyday to create special experiences one guest at a time and we are happy you were able to experience it. On the other hand, please accept our apology for the shortcomings you have experienced. We appreciate you for bringing this into our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Krysllin G.
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

This was a great stay. Was welcomed as a platinum rewards member at check in. Room was very clean as was the bathroom. Really enjoyed the breakfast buffet. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Small negative was the indoor pool is small and water was a bit cold. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Farmington, MI
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Spent the weekend, great room, nice staff, pretty good location. Only hitch is that it sits right on top of Hwy 90. It can be a bit noisy at times. They do provide earplugs and when the air is on, you barely notice the vehicle noises.
Had a beer at the bar and a quick bite to eat in their restaurant. The bartender and the waiter did everything they could to make it a good experience.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Sheraton Needham Hotel
#2 of 2 in Needham
Allston / Brighton
Hotel Boston
Hotel Boston
#75 of 83 in Boston
Crescent Suites Hotel
#5 of 11 in Waltham

Been to Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel? Share your experiences!