“Just the basics”

Boston Marriott Newton
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Newton
Reviewed December 8, 2010

Stayed at the Boston Newton Marriott for 6 nights for a business trip. This Marriott has the basic features required of a business hotel. Well, maybe too basic for my taste since my room didn't even have a mini bar.

Internet costs are quite reasonable considering Boston is not known to be an inexpensive city. Menu options are very limited - and there is only one restaurant. This Marriott is in the middle of the suburbs and you can't just walk to a neighborhood resto. Best to rent a car if you want to go around. I was not comfortable driving and relied on towncars the entire time. The frontdesk people were very helpful and made sure I could get a car in 15 mins max.

If one wants to so a bit of shopping, the department store (Bloomingdales) is about 30 minutes away.

Oh one thing I liked a lot is that they have a Starbucks in the lobby.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
TRAVGRL27, Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2010

Dear Shelley,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Newton Marriott and sharing your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed the Starbucks coffee shop in the lobby and our reasonable internet costs. I wanted to also let you know that it is not necessary to rent a vehicle when you stay with us. We do offer complimentary shuttle service to the nearby subway station. The subway will transport you to local shopping and dining--including downtown Boston. I hope that you choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed November 2, 2010

Normally I don't bother to review chain hotels because let's face it, you pretty much know what to expect from most of them. However, after reading all the negative reviews here, I wanted to share my experience. My partner and I stayed here for one night in September after a Red Sox game. True, the hotel is not close to downtown Boston, but it is not far from a T station and the hotel does offer free shuttle service there into the early evening. Considering that hotels are in downtown Boston are considerably more expensive, the tradeoff in convenience was well worth it. The interior renovations here appear to be complete, and the lobby, restaurant, fitness center and rooms are all very nice and clean. But what made this Marriott stand out above some of the others we've stayed at was the service. The desk staff was extremely helpful and polite, and eagerly made recommendations for us and helped us with our plans for the night. We would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and for sharing your positive feedback. I am happy to read that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms, lobby and restaurant. It is especially nice to hear about the outstanding service you received from our Front Desk staff. They work very hard to provide a great guest experience, and it is wonderful when they are recognized. We hope to see you back at the hotel in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 30, 2010

We stayed here for the VT vs Boston College game. We used the hotel shuttle to go to the T station however they won't come pick you up at the T station after 8:30 so we had to take a taxi a couple of times, which was easy to get at the T station. They said the T station was within walking distance, but we never could get good directions. This hotel is not that close to Boston...we had to ride the T a good 30 minutes to get into the city. The restaurant is SUPER expensive at the hotel, I don't recommend eating there, check in w/ the front desk for some coupons to a bagel shop down the street...we walked to it so it was about 20 minutes away. There is a gas station right across the street that we walked to as well to get drinks and snacks. The computers at the hotel were great to check e-mail, and print boarding passes no wait at all. A very clean hotel, kinda a funky smell in our room at times...but we got use to it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Newton Marriott. We are located just outside of Boston, however, we are the perfect place to stay when attending events at Boston College. I am sorry to read that you found our restaurant to be expensive. We have renovated our lounge and updated its menu to include some very affordable options. I hope that you will try it next time you are in the area. Please contact me directly if I may be of assistance.

Reviewed October 24, 2010

Rushed at check-in. Room by the Ice machine. Listened to furniture being moved around above me each night and morning (room below the conference rooms?). Bath room very small. Huge parking lot that was packed each night and charges $9.00 each night. Rushed at check-out. Such a large hotel felt like they just want to get you in and out. Nothing personal about the staff.

Plus side was room service was quick,food was good and friendly service (the only time I felt welcomed) and room was very clean.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel. I was very sorry to read that you felt rushed at check in. We work hard to provide exceptional and personalized service to our customers. I am very sorry that this was not your experience. I was happy to read that you found the room to be very clean, and our room service food to be good with friendly service. Our goal is for every guest to leave the hotel to be completely satisfied. Please feel free to contact me directly if I may be of assistance.

Reviewed October 16, 2010

Stayed one night only. Arrived around 2000 hours. Check in was quite nice. The young lady was very pleasant and helpful. We spoke a bit about sports and when I advised her that I did not want to have a room near an elevator or ice machine, she put me in a area that was removed from a traveled area. Room was very nice, great TV selection, bathroom well appointed. Only bad feature is the fellow next door was a loud talker, so I was filled in on every bit of his personal family issues. Did not call the desk, just turned on the A/C. Otherwise a nice place, clean and updated, would stay again. They honor government rates and price them very competitively.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business

Dear Jaek,

Thank you for providing feedback about your stay at the Newton Marriott. I am glad that you found the hotel to be the perfect location for business in the Boston area. We have worked to upgrade the hotel over the course of the past year to make it more comfortable and convenient for business travellers. I am glad the hotel met your needs and that you found the front desk staff to be pleasant and helpful. I hope that you will stay with us again in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 5, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary weekend. It was out first time in Boston and weren't familiar with the area. Though this hotel is not close to downtown Boston at all, it was a nice quiet location and the drive to downtown was fine. We originally booked a room at the Cambridge Marriott but left after we checked in and saw how deceiving the online photos were.
We were lucky enough to get a room here last minute and for half the price of the other Marriott we left. The breakfast buffet was excellent and we enjoyed having drinks in the bar downstairs. The pool and jacuzzi were nice and located right down the hall from our room. The room we had overlooked the river. It was small but ok for a weekend stay. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience at our hotel. It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet. It is one of our most popular meal offerings. Our culinary team is exceptional and they do a phenomenal job preparing and stocking the items on the buffet. I hope that you stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed September 12, 2010

I travel from Europe on business to this area 7 or 8 times per year and love to come back to this hotel. While the property is a pretty standard Marriott (although it has just come through an extensive rennovation) the people at the hotel really make the effort to make you feel welcome. The front desk team is second to none and it really makes a difference at the end of a long trip to be greeted by your name as you enter the lobby as if you have just arrived home.

The service continues with the personnel in the gift / coffee shop in the lobby, the bar and restaurant.

I am happy to recommend and encourage you to take some time to say hello to the team. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business

Dear TavelCelt,

Thank you so much for the great comments. We love to hear that our customers are eager to come back due to the friendly staff at the hotel. Thank you for your business and your loyalty to our hotel. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Tom McKenney

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside
Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel
Sheraton Needham Hotel
Sheraton Needham Hotel
#2 of 3 in Needham
Residence Inn Boston Needham
Embassy Suites by Hilton Boston / Waltham
Hilton Garden Inn Boston/Waltham

Been to Boston Marriott Newton? Share your experiences!