“Mixed Feelings”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Newton
MV, Mass
“Mixed Feelings”
Reviewed October 24, 2009

We have stayed at the Brookline and Natick Marriotts and thought we would try the Newton Marriott as it was close to our weekend activities. The hotel is older but surprising updated (?) inside and very clean. Our "water view" room on the 5th floor was clean but too small for us. The trees mostly blocked the view and the concrete overhang was dirty which distracted from what view there was. I would ask for a water view room on the 6th or 7th floor . We usually book a suite. We were told there are only three at this hotel and are reserved for corporate. If the hotel is remodeling it would be great if they knocked out some walls and made some more suites. While small, the room was clean and very quiet. One side of the one of the double beds was fine but the other one was too soft leading me to think the mattress was old or needed to be turned. I'm not a fan of rooms without windows that don't open especially if there is not a fan in the bathroom.
A room service tray was left in the hall outside our neighbor's door overnight. Not good; it was still there at 8:30 in the morning.
The gym looked big for an older hotel gym and the pools to have been recently redone but I didn't use either. I would stay here for business but not for pleasure.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Maine9, Hotel Management at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, October 29, 2009
Thank you for staying at the Newton Marriott. We appreciate your business. We are in the process of replacing all of the beds in the guestrooms and updating the televisions. We hope that you choose to stay with us again in the near future to experience these enhancements.

Best regards,
Thomas McKenney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Montgomery, IL
Reviewed October 22, 2009

We stayed there for 5 nights and were very comfortable (as we always are at Marriott Hotels)
The room was very much up to standards, great beds, and the service we received was excelent. The hotel grounds are really very pretty especially out back by the river. When we were there the white water lilly's were all in bloom.
The hotel has a free suttle service to and from the "T" station which we make use of to go into downtown Boston. We left the rented car parked at the hotel (no $9 fee to park byw),( I think the parking at the T station is $6).
Very nice hotel, when we go back to the Boston area we will stay there again!

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your return visit.

West Hartford, CT
Reviewed October 17, 2009

We did win this hotel on Priceline and got a terrific deal. In addition, we were NOt charged the nine dollars for parking, quite a perk! Anyhow, the front desk staff were congenial and helpful answering questions. The room were extremely comfortable; wonderful mattresses and thick pillows made for a sound night's sleep. The indoor pool was sparkling clean and spacious; it also lacked the heavy duty chlorine smell that characterizes many indoor hotel pools. Lobby and decor very tasteful and clean. My only criticism of the place is that the breakfast is way, way overpriced and so we had to decline and drove a few miles into Newton Center to eat at the fabulous Johnny's Luncheonette -- don't miss it!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Thank We'reReady!!
Maine9, Hotel management at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, October 21, 2009
Thank you for sharing your positive experience at our hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed our updated indoor pool and our helpful front desk staff. We look forward to your return visit to our hotel.

Surrey
Reviewed October 14, 2009

This is a tricky one for me to review as my trip itself was hugely frustrating, but it was work and not the hotel that caused this.

As the hotel goes, its pretty nice - sure it looks awful from the outside but once you get in then it's not all that bad - the room I had was nice (a double double for one? I'll have to thank work for that), the beds were a bit too soft for my liking (to the point that my back was aching, laying on your side isn't something I'd recommend) but they were comfy I guess, and had very nice bed clothes.

The curtains were brilliant, I don't know about you, but it has to be pitch black when I sleep, and these were perfect for doing that. The writing desk was nice, as was the chair - you could easily use a laptop with a mouse on it - it's a shame that the internet was Wireless only though.

The bathroom was absolutely fine - nice big mirror which was well lit. The shower was something you looked forward to getting under in the morning. A huge downside for me was that there was no shaving mirror and the main mirror wasn't self clearing - this is a huge pet peeve of mine and really isn't good enough.

This brings me round to the list of things that I thought weren't good enough:

The internet - you have to pay, and pay through the nose ($12.30 for 24 hours) - come on guys, this should be free for basic access, charge for high speed if you want.

Food - I found this a bit hit and miss, some was good, some was bad, ironically the good came in portions that were too small (even by my Euro standards) and there was far too much of the bad. It was also bloody expensive and a very limited menu. The irony was that the room service menu had a huge variety, but the one time I gave this a go I was told it would take 45 mins to arrive - 1hr15mins later it turned up and it was cold - I got it refunded but when I came to check out it was still on the bill - luckily they removed it again but my main gripe is what happened when they removed it beforehand?

Facilities - The 'Business Centre' is a joke - only 3 computers in a very small room

The Gym - That needs updating - all thr equipment is there it just seems unloved.

Location - It's in the middle of suburban america, it's a nice setting but you are screwed if you don't have a car (which btw, you'll have to pay to park EVERY DAY!)

Based on all of that, would I go there again? No, I'd go to the Indigo which is about 10 mins away - and it's much better located (5 or 10 mins walk from the train station), has better rooms, free internet and a better menu. I know this because I went and had a look at a room and ate in the restaurant. Sure it's a little more expensive (but only by $10 or so a night) but it is well worth it. All I have to do is make my company understand that next time :)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Maine9, Hotel Management at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, October 21, 2009
Thank you for staying at our property. We were happy to read that you enjoyed our updated guest room. We do have both wired and wireless internet access available in the hotel. We appreciate your feedback.

Midwest
Reviewed October 12, 2009

I was dropping my child at Boston College. Rather than stay in downtown Boston, I thought I would give this a try as it is near BC (and less expensive but certainly not cheap at $200+ per night).

The whole place smelled. Our room had to be switched a few hours after check in. Even the bellman who came to help us move bags agreed that it smelled horrible (a sewage type of smell). The new room merely smelled like mildew.

The food was basically industrial catering fare: similar to a school or hospital. And again, I get that this is not the Four Seasons, but I was really disappointed.

I had also sent four small boxes. It took "security" hours to find them. Huh? I had them marked with "Hold for date of arrival," my name, and my reservation number." This should not have been a problem.

As I embark on a 4 year journey of visiting BC, it is too bad that I will not try the Newton Marriot again. I would rather pay another $150 a night for a consistent experience.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Maine9, management at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, October 13, 2009
Dear BC Parent,
We are very sorry to read that you did not have a satisfactory experience at our hotel. We work very hard to provide a great guest experience. We are constantly working to make improvements to the hotel. We are in the process of upgrading all of our televisions, furniture and high speed internet. We hope that you will try us again in the future. Please contact me if I may be of assistance in the future.

Thomas McKenney

Travelers are raving about these Newton hotels

Plattsburgh, New York
Reviewed October 9, 2009

We stayed there for three nights. The hotel has a complimentary shuttle bus to nearby T-station (Riverside) so we parked our car at our hotel ($9/day) and took T to go to the center of Boston. On the way back, we noticed that there weren't many taxis at the Riverside Station at that time (since there was no shuttle service available that late). However, when we called our hotel, they were nice enough to send a taxi to the Riverside station for us. It's about $5 to $6 for the approx. 10min ride to hotel from the station.

Our room was very clean. In the bathroom, a small bottle of Bath & Body Works Aromatherapy shampoo, conditioner and body lotion (Orange Ginger scent ) is provided to the guests.

The hotel room came with a package of complimentary tea (English Breakfast & Chamomile). However, the day 2, the hotel maid did not leave any after she cleaned our room so at night I had to ask the friendly front desk staff to give us some tea bags.

We liked this hotel & will use it again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Maine9, Management at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, October 13, 2009
Thank you for your positive comments. We are very glad complimentary shuttle service to the T station and the amenities in the room. We look forward to your return visit to the hotel.

Florida
Reviewed September 23, 2009

I was booked into this hotel by my secretary and noticed a previous review about someones bad experience getting coffee. I was a little taken aback by the comments but since I was booked, I decided to go. I'm very glad I did! The staff was amazing, the rooms were very large and fresh, and the reatsurant (while busy) has awesome service and great food. I will be coming to town regularly and will now stay at this hotel exclusively. I'm not sure what this ither person was thinking about but it certainly wasn't THIS Marriott!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank golfingfriends
Maine9, Hotel Management at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, September 24, 2009
Thank you so much for sharing your positive comments. We appreciate you taking the time to write about your positive experience with us. We appreciate your business and look forward to your return visit.

Thomas M. McKenney
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside
Crescent Suites Hotel
Crescent Suites Hotel
#4 of 11 in Waltham
Residence Inn Boston Watertown

Been to Boston Marriott Newton? Share your experiences!