“Poor Service”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Newton
Chicago
“Poor Service”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The service overall was dissapointing. Here are my several reasons:
1) I have stayed here before and NOW they charge $9 a day for parking! That is so wrong! We are in the suburbs of Boston! Surburbs people
2) My "fresh" new towel had long black hairs rolled up in it - Yuk! I called to let them know... all I got was sorry and my new towels arrived 30 mins later..
3) the first moring we ask the front desk where is the nearest Starbucks. Her answer:"I don't know where the nearest Starbucks is but I know there is one out there" Really? Duh?
4) our fridge was broken and we asked for a new one or get it fixed - no one took care of it. I like buying bottled water and keep it in the fridge - not this trip!

The rooms are fine.
I am disappointed in this Marriott! I stayed there last year and it was great BUT in 2013 it is going downhill. Management better wake up.

2 Thank ReneeD60035
MarkJ007, General Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments relative to your recent stay with us. We certainly apologize that your expereince fell short of your expectations for we always strive to exceed the expectations of all our guests. Given our great location on the crossroads of 2 major highways we do charge for parking to inhibit parking of non residents. I also apologize for the miscommunication regarding a Starbucks location. Our property like many other Marriotts has a proudly pour Starbucks concept adjacent to our guest elevators. We surely hope that we can showcase the high standard of service that we are known for upon your next visit to this area.

Thank you again.

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 28, 2013

You could smell the mold or mildew as soon as you entered the lobby. Our room smelled and even my pillow smelled funny. I wouldn't have stayed except that we were there for a wedding and I didn't want to insult our hosts who had made the reservations.
Otherwise it was OK.

Room Tip: There is a pretty view on the river side. The other side is of the parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank skm822
Dear valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback relative to the musty odor you encountered in our lobby. We are investigating the cause for this. We appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

Sincerely.

St. Augustine
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The Boston Marriott in Newton has great personnel who are very accommodating, especially when they get a group of families with children for a small convention. The staff members appear to be unflappable and gracious, as well as helpful. The location is a bit out of the city, which is appropriate for families, and the meeting rooms worked well for keeping track of children as well as allowing parents time to hear presentations.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with no adjoining doors if there are a lot of children in the hotel.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Location is bad unless you need to be in the area. Certainly is not close to Boston at all as it is in Newton but not even in the town of Newton but rather in the middle of nowhere. Yes, you can see the river and the highway... if that is your sort of thing.

The room is adequate, the bathroom is very small as you trip over the door to get into the shower. Really small. Room service is fine and amenities as expected. It needs a bit of updating, though.

What I like is the free exercise included in your room package. I guess it is a good way to stay in shape :) You need to 'walk a mile" to get to some of the rooms as the hotel is really large and built sideways rather than upwards.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback relative to your most recent stay at our hotel. This hotel is indeed built horizontally along the banks of the River Charles which takes advantage of the riverside views while satisfying local height restrictions. We pride ourselves in providing a high level of service etiquette to give our guests a reason to return and we hope that your overall experience will bring you back.

La Jolla, Ca.
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Older Marriott hotel located about 12-15 miles due west of Boston.
Room and bathroom were on the small side but were clean and adequate.
Furnishings and overall hotel decor look a little dated.
Room was cool during extreme heat wave but A/ C unit was loud when it kicked on.
Hallways could use slightly better policing regarding cleanliness.
Did not use restaurant or indoor pool.
Front desk staff was pleasant and helpful.
Internet about $14/ day.
Parking $9/ day.
Chestnut Hill Mall and restaurants nearby.
Overall a decent stay for our purpose of touring Boston College.

New Jersey
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel with my husband and son. I was between giving this hotel a 4 or a 5 and because of the customer service I gave it a 5. The reason why I considered giving it a 4 is our room was a little worn and I noticed an employee cleaning peanuts out of the elevator the night before and in the morning the elevator still had not been vacummed. However, the room was very clean and comfortable and therefore I felt I would give it a 5.

I am a travel agent and stayed at this hotel 2 years ago.

This hote was in a perfect location for our purpose of being in the Boston area. We could get into the heart of Boston quickly yet we were close to where we needed to be.

I used the laundry facilities and they were great.

1 Thank luv2travel068
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 17, 2013

From the photos and reviews, I was really expecting a great stay at the Newton Marriott, but came away from my 4 day stay mostly underwhelmed.

Was in town for a conference and chose this property due to nearby location and the fact that it was a Marriott property, which I give much of my hotel business. Am a Platinum status member and was disappointed to be given a very small room in the bowels of the hotel (2nd floor, which is actually below ground level). The only real upside was that it has a nice view of the river.

That said, the view was marred by garbage on the ledge running outside my window. Granted, the greens of the well manicured lawn nicely accented the crumpled up green packs of L&M Menthol 100's laying outside my window, but it wasn't the lovely view I was hoping foor.

The hotel itself is feeling tired and dated. I read on this board that it was renovated just a few years ago, but to me it felt - and smelled - old. Much of the hotel has a strong musty smell to it - I heard multiple people comment as much. My room in particular smelled like a damp sock. Furniture and trappings seemed worn and due for replacement - bed headboard was crooked and the chest that the TV sits on has scratches on it that had been touched up with wood paint that didn't match.

Bathroom was tiny and the water pressure was really lousy. I'll forgive a small bathroom if I can at least get in and out quickly with a nice, effective shower, but the pressure was decidedly weak. Housekeeping never refilled toiletries, so I made due with the same tiny piece of soap for 4 days.

Wifi in my room was AWFUL. From the bed I couldn't get a signal at all, but could at the desk. Made relaxing and using iPad or phone useless, and is especially surprising given that they charge $14/day for internet to non-status guests. Internet in common areas seemed much better.

I stayed during a unusual heat wave, so I'm sure the A/C in the hotel was working overtime, but the aircon in my room was VERY loud (and it was central air, so I must have the misfortune of being near a compressor or something). It was a constant, numbing hum. At first I thought it was housekeeping staff vacumming outside or next door, but soon realized it was a constant sound, and was coming from the vents.

Lastly - a little thing - every morning I came out and it seemed all the other guests in the hallway had newspapers at the door. Never got one. Dunno what that's about, didn't upset me especially, but just an inconsistency in service I found odd.

Exec lounge is better than many I've experienced lately. View is good, though partially obscured by the rooftop of lower level property. Holds maybe 20 folks comfortably. Mediocre, small selection of apps that didn't come out until 5:45. Honor bar for wine/beer/booze.

Retaurant is overpriced and mediocre, though I did have a good martini at the bar.

If I return to this area, I'll almost certainly stay at the Westin I passed a short ways up the road, as this proprty just underwhelmed on too many fronts.

1 Thank MrHao
HotelMgr12, Guest Relations Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Mr. Hao,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Newton Marriott. We appreciate your business and your loyalty to Marriott hotels. I am very sorry to read that you were disappointed with your stay. I can assure you that your experience is not our standard. A clean and comfortable room is our top priority. I have shared your feedback with our Engineering team and our housekeeping team. We will work to improve in the future. I am glad that you found our concierge lounge to be better than most. Please contact the hotel directly when you return to the area. We would be happy to upgrade your room.

Kind regards,
Guest Relations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside
Embassy Suites by Hilton Boston / Waltham
Crescent Suites Hotel
Crescent Suites Hotel
#5 of 11 in Waltham

Been to Boston Marriott Newton? Share your experiences!