Boston Marriott Newton
$189
$165
$207
Residence Inn
All reviewscharles riverthe concierge loungeview of the rivertypical marriottfull service marriottindoor poolan older propertyhotel shuttlebusiness tripriverside stationmass pikestayed here for one nightfree internetfitness centerconvenient locationgreen linelobby
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed here with the family over Thanksgiving. Rented two adjacent rooms and on check-in was upgraded to concierge access by pure chance-- they had a promotion going on. Their concierge club was great, but the room rate included a buffet breakfast that was so good I never even used the concierge level for breakfast. The hotel has free parking and that was a nice added value, a good business center right off the lobby, a pool that the kids loved, and a good restaurant. WiFi worked fine, beds were comfy, and the only reason they didn't get an "excellent" is that the rooms are a bit small, especially the bathrooms. Everything worked fine, and when it didn't it got fixed the same day. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Lobby is on the 4th floor, so floors 1-3 are below the lobby level.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JONATHON L
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel many times on visits to family in the area. The rooms are clean and spacious, and beds are comfortable. Rooms facing the Charles River are quiet; can't say what rooms facing the parking lot are like, since we always ask for quiet rooms. The view of the Charles River, with swans, ducks, boats, etc., is lovely. We had a senior rate Thanksgiving night of $109 plus tax, a real bargain. They have a fully equipped exercise room, and a nice restaurant overlooking the Charles. It is about a 20-minute drive to Logan Airport. All in all, a good deal.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room facing the Charles River.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 11, 2012

This hotel is located directly west of downtown Boston in the Newton area. I stayed here on a business trip where I needed to visit clients in downtown Boston, New Hampshire, Natick and the south western suburbs of Boston. This was a great location for me - right off of the Mass Pike and I-95. The room was nice, service excellent. Free parking. The front desk staff helped me print a presentation - they were fantastic! The best was the hotel restaurant. It overlooks the Charles River - beautiful!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here while attending a Boston College football game. The hotel is about 5 miles from campus. The hotel is nothing spectacular - it is a little dated but the staff were very nice. Check-in was quick and easy and our room was a fairly standard Marriott room. Bathroom was clean but small and again it was the standard hotel bathroom designed 20 years ago. We had heard that getting to BC football games can be difficult due to limited parking and public transit. Fortunately the hotel arranged to have vans drive guests to the game right onto campus and it made the whole thing very simple. The charge was $10 pp each way but I felt it was very reasonable considering what the cost of a cab would be. The next morning we had breakfast buffet at the hotel as it was included in the rate. Omelettes were very good, as was the vast array of fresh fruits, bacon, sausage, scambled eggs, breads, juice etc. Downside was the lack of staff trying to manage the large number of people in the restaurant - service was slow and lines were long. (Dinner the night before was great. I had the salmon which was served with potatoes and was a large serving size). The restaurant is very casual as is their bar area. Overall a good hotel for a reasonable price and an exceptional location near Boston College.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is the third time I have stayed at the Boston Marriott Newton this year and it will not be the last in the years to come. (One of my children attends a Boston-area university.) The hotel tends to attract large groups of conference goers and kid-oriented sports teams, along with huge weddings. On this occasion, the tail end of October, it was quiet for the first time, without mobs of people. Nevertheless, we have never noticed noise once we were in our room. I have stayed on upper and lower floors, and each time, the room is consistent in its appearance. Clean, crisp bedsheets, clean bathroom, good television. A shout out for the housekeepers who always bring me whatever I need and clean my room exactly when I request. Lovely women. Be aware that the hotel charges nearly $13 per 24 hours for use of Internet in the room and $9 for parking in a lot that should NEVER charge for parking. (The hotel is in the middle of nowhere, for heaven's sake.) If the price of Internet fries your goat, then just use the free Internet in the lobby with your laptop. We have never eaten at this hotel, so cannot comment on this. (Lots of cute breakfast restaurants about 10 minutes away, so we try those.) I always find the check-in ultra fast and the desk personnel friendly and efficient. I always book the room straight through Marriott, but I do compare prices. Prices do vary depending on what events are at the hotel or at local universities that weekend. Advice? Book well in advance. This Marriott has become our little home away from home.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Charles, but it's not always possible.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family