“A pleasant stay”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Newton
New York City, New York
“A pleasant stay”
Reviewed February 4, 2008

This Marriott is undergoing renovation which is supposed to be completed by March. Do be sure to request one of the renovated rooms. The room (which had been renovated) was very clean, comfortable, quiet, and well-equipped. As far as Marriotts go, It really could not have been better, except that the room was on the small side.
There was a large group of college students also staying at the hotel that evening and we were concerned there might be quite a bit of noise. But thankfully we were on a floor away from the students and it was very, very quiet.
The Front Desk staff were extremely courteous and efficient. There is a well-stocked gift shop and Starbucks in the lobby, though on the pricey-side as one expects in hotels. Had dinner at the restaurant, which was acceptable but quite over-priced. Nice view overlooking the river from the room and the restaurant. Although this was a brief stay -- just one night - I would recommend this Marriott.

• Stayed February 2008
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
San Francisco
Reviewed October 24, 2007

With all rooms in Cambridge booked in lieu of Red Sox MLB World Series, I settled for the closest to my business.

Not having strayed from a Kimpton chain spot for over 8 years I wasn't quite sure what I'd find. Am pleasantly surprised to report, the hotel is lovely.

The room is a bit tighter than I'd like, but for a business trip it was fine. It was clean, charming and well appointed - though I found it odd there was no honor bar. Being on the first floor was a nice treat - a door opening into the lush gardens facing the water. Lounge chair and sitting table were perfect for early morning coffee and late afternoon coffee.

The staff bent over backwards anticipating my every need. Very friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating. The restaurant facing the river had great breakfast and lunch buffets. And room service was above par for what the place represents. Didn't manage to make time for the gym, which sounded excellent.

The one and only complaint I have is the bed. The three inch feather bed is a cheap workaround to the (lack of) quality of the mattress. Hence, I slept horribly.

So, while the rest of my experience was truly positive, I will be hard pressed to consider another booking here. My lack of rest contributed to less than stellar productivity, which is after all the reason I'm here in the first place.

• Liked — Staff, restaurant
  • Disliked — Bed
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank SF415
Maryland
Reviewed October 20, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in August, 2007. The room was clean and the linens were great and so was the bathroom. It was a bit small as hotel rooms go. I was on the first floor in the back with an outside patio. I could only see a glimpse of the river and the canoes, etc. I did have to kill several bugs that I'm sure came in from the outside. The room did have a strange ordor that I couldn't quite figure out but I didn't spend too much time there to let it bother me. I was on an expense account but I would not pick that hotel if I were paying. The hallway outside my was musty smelling. The desk personnel were very nice and helpful.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank can we dance
NY, NY
Reviewed October 19, 2007

Our family was in for Parents Weekend at Boston College, which is just 10 minutes away. Our rate was $259 - pretty reasonable for a Marriott and coming from NY on a busy weekend. The rooms are definitely old, but very clean and the desk clerk said the hotel is revamping all the rooms later this year. BEST hotel fitness center I've ever seen - great equipment, each had it's on mini-tv. Pool area was very nice, too. Room was large enough for three of us; bathroom was small but clean and modern - more so than the rooms? Service was great, like most Marriotts. Restaurant was very busy for breakfast and dinner...definitely make reservations if you're there on a weekend. Free parking was a nice surprise.

Stayed October 2007
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 25, 2007

I needed to stay in Waltham and all the hotels were booked, the closest was the Newton Marriott. The hotel rooms are very dated and my room had a musty smell. The doors to all the rooms on my floor are in serious need of refinishing, they looked like dorm room doors after all the posters had come off them, patchy, patched and missing finish. It just wasnt a Marriot that I have been used to as I travel every week on business.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank NashuaNH

Travelers are raving about these Newton hotels

New Jersey
Reviewed June 28, 2007

Don't be lured or fooled by the Marriott name at this hotel. I have spent 10-15 nights there over the past two years, and each stay has been progressively worse. The lobby (4th floor) is standard Marriott - clean, neat, functional - -very welcoming staff. The guest rooms reflect the age of the hotel - outdated and very worn. The hotel is built on a hill, so many rooms are at ground level or below. The lower rooms are terribly humid - everything is moist. Carpets are filthy. Repeated calls for maintenance haven't helped. Even if you are above ground level, watch out for a walk. Some rooms are a very, very long walk to reach.

Newly updated gym facilities with top-notch equipment. Decent indoor pool - all on the second floor.

• Liked — Front Desk Staff
  • Disliked — damp, dirty, worn rooms
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank medicalalert
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside
Crescent Suites Hotel
Crescent Suites Hotel
#4 of 11 in Waltham
Residence Inn Boston Watertown

Been to Boston Marriott Newton? Share your experiences!