“Standard Marriott Older Property”

Boston Marriott Newton
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Newton
Norman, Oklahoma
“Standard Marriott Older Property”
Reviewed March 22, 2011

The appearance of the building isn't much, but staff very friendly. Charles river is very nice, but too cold to do anything out there on this trip. Dining is very good, excellent chef down there. I would stay again, but this isn't a top-line Marriott because of hotel age.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
tomgm35, General Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. The recently renovated Newton Marriott does have some unique and historical aspects involved in the design of the hotel. Our staff takes pride in pointing these out, and being one of the first 6 Marriott hotels built. As we constantly look to improve not only our service levels, but also the physical property itself, we value your comments.
If your travel plans call for a retrun trip to the Boston area, we ask that you please consider a return trip.

Respectfully,

Thomas M. McKenney
Newton Marriott Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed January 11, 2011

Normally I love Marriotts and am a Marriott Rewards member, but I had a bad experience here. I had to awaken early for a meeting and ordered room service that never came. To their credit, they did award me 10,000 points for the inconvenience. I had to go to a meeting without breakfast because I was stuck in the room waiting for room service to come, and then had to rush out. No food till midday. Not cool.

Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank pilgrim373
Maine9, Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, January 19, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry that you did not get your breakfast as planned. I will share your comments with the Room Service staff. I can assure you that we work very hard to provide excellent service at the hotel. I am glad that our Front Desk staff was able to make amends. I hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Makati, Philippines
Reviewed December 8, 2010

Stayed at the Boston Newton Marriott for 6 nights for a business trip. This Marriott has the basic features required of a business hotel. Well, maybe too basic for my taste since my room didn't even have a mini bar.

Internet costs are quite reasonable considering Boston is not known to be an inexpensive city. Menu options are very limited - and there is only one restaurant. This Marriott is in the middle of the suburbs and you can't just walk to a neighborhood resto. Best to rent a car if you want to go around. I was not comfortable driving and relied on towncars the entire time. The frontdesk people were very helpful and made sure I could get a car in 15 mins max.

If one wants to so a bit of shopping, the department store (Bloomingdales) is about 30 minutes away.

Oh one thing I liked a lot is that they have a Starbucks in the lobby.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
TRAVGRL27, Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this review, December 9, 2010
Dear Shelley,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Newton Marriott and sharing your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed the Starbucks coffee shop in the lobby and our reasonable internet costs. I wanted to also let you know that it is not necessary to rent a vehicle when you stay with us. We do offer complimentary shuttle service to the nearby subway station. The subway will transport you to local shopping and dining--including downtown Boston. I hope that you choose to stay with us again.

Thomas McKenney
Richmond, Rhode Island
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Normally I don't bother to review chain hotels because let's face it, you pretty much know what to expect from most of them. However, after reading all the negative reviews here, I wanted to share my experience. My partner and I stayed here for one night in September after a Red Sox game. True, the hotel is not close to downtown Boston, but it is not far from a T station and the hotel does offer free shuttle service there into the early evening. Considering that hotels are in downtown Boston are considerably more expensive, the tradeoff in convenience was well worth it. The interior renovations here appear to be complete, and the lobby, restaurant, fitness center and rooms are all very nice and clean. But what made this Marriott stand out above some of the others we've stayed at was the service. The desk staff was extremely helpful and polite, and eagerly made recommendations for us and helped us with our plans for the night. We would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and for sharing your positive feedback. I am happy to read that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms, lobby and restaurant. It is especially nice to hear about the outstanding service you received from our Front Desk staff. They work very hard to provide a great guest experience, and it is wonderful when they are recognized. We hope to see you back at the hotel in the near future.

Best regards,

Chesterfield, Virginia
Reviewed October 30, 2010

We stayed here for the VT vs Boston College game. We used the hotel shuttle to go to the T station however they won't come pick you up at the T station after 8:30 so we had to take a taxi a couple of times, which was easy to get at the T station. They said the T station was within walking distance, but we never could get good directions. This hotel is not that close to Boston...we had to ride the T a good 30 minutes to get into the city. The restaurant is SUPER expensive at the hotel, I don't recommend eating there, check in w/ the front desk for some coupons to a bagel shop down the street...we walked to it so it was about 20 minutes away. There is a gas station right across the street that we walked to as well to get drinks and snacks. The computers at the hotel were great to check e-mail, and print boarding passes no wait at all. A very clean hotel, kinda a funky smell in our room at times...but we got use to it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Newton Marriott. We are located just outside of Boston, however, we are the perfect place to stay when attending events at Boston College. I am sorry to read that you found our restaurant to be expensive. We have renovated our lounge and updated its menu to include some very affordable options. I hope that you will try it next time you are in the area. Please contact me directly if I may be of assistance.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed October 24, 2010

Rushed at check-in. Room by the Ice machine. Listened to furniture being moved around above me each night and morning (room below the conference rooms?). Bath room very small. Huge parking lot that was packed each night and charges $9.00 each night. Rushed at check-out. Such a large hotel felt like they just want to get you in and out. Nothing personal about the staff.

Plus side was room service was quick,food was good and friendly service (the only time I felt welcomed) and room was very clean.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel. I was very sorry to read that you felt rushed at check in. We work hard to provide exceptional and personalized service to our customers. I am very sorry that this was not your experience. I was happy to read that you found the room to be very clean, and our room service food to be good with friendly service. Our goal is for every guest to leave the hotel to be completely satisfied. Please feel free to contact me directly if I may be of assistance.

Thomas McKenney
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 16, 2010

Stayed one night only. Arrived around 2000 hours. Check in was quite nice. The young lady was very pleasant and helpful. We spoke a bit about sports and when I advised her that I did not want to have a room near an elevator or ice machine, she put me in a area that was removed from a traveled area. Room was very nice, great TV selection, bathroom well appointed. Only bad feature is the fellow next door was a loud talker, so I was filled in on every bit of his personal family issues. Did not call the desk, just turned on the A/C. Otherwise a nice place, clean and updated, would stay again. They honor government rates and price them very competitively.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Dear Jaek,

Thank you for providing feedback about your stay at the Newton Marriott. I am glad that you found the hotel to be the perfect location for business in the Boston area. We have worked to upgrade the hotel over the course of the past year to make it more comfortable and convenient for business travellers. I am glad the hotel met your needs and that you found the front desk staff to be pleasant and helpful. I hope that you will stay with us again in the near future.

Best regards,

Tom McKenney
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside
Embassy Suites by Hilton Boston / Waltham
Crescent Suites Hotel
Crescent Suites Hotel
#5 of 11 in Waltham

Been to Boston Marriott Newton? Share your experiences!