“Lacking in flavor”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
“Lacking in flavor”
Reviewed March 9, 2012

We decided to try this place since I had just purchased a Groupon for it. Overall this is a decent place but there are so many other ones that are better that we won't be going back anytime soon.

Pros:
The atmosphere was nice and definitely family-oriented on a Friday evening.
Plenty of on-site parking.
Service was friendly and attentive.

Cons:
Some of the side dishes were either a bit too salty or didn't taste fresh.
The beef bulgogi was lacking in flavor and the meat was a bit tough.
The vegetable tempura was a bit too soft as if it wasn't deep fried enough - lacking crunch..
The meat in the beef bimbimbap stone pot was also just a wee bit tough.

We also ordered the sushi boat B. The rice in the sushi was a bit under seasoned and we prefer a wee bit of wasabi in each sushi but there wasn't any at all. You just have to put it in yourself which okay too.
The sushi boat presentation was wonderful but upon closer inspection they should have either fixed the front of the boat professionally or put the food on another boat. Taping the front portion of the boat together with Scotch tape wasn't appealing...especially when we had to turn the boat around to reach the food on the other side and sections of the front came off.

• Visited March 2012

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wished it was more authentic”
Reviewed July 20, 2011

I am Korean and I went there with non-Koreans, who all enjoyed the bibimbap...but it was a pale version of the real thing. I saw someone else's noodle dish - also looked like a shortcut version of the real thing. My spicy-tofu stew was quite good. The side dishes were weak. No Korean soju - I asked the waitress why but she could not answer. Not sure if the restaurant is committed to being an authentic Korean restaurant. Good decor.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank JWUSA
New York City, New York
“A bit off, but I go once in a while”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

The sushi is average... although they have some interesting ways of presenting and putting them together. The Korean food is quite good. There is a bar area that people go to unwind after work. But not cool/hip people, more like middle age to old drunks. The restaurant is a bit dark and it soft of gives me a sticky feeling... like I wouldn't want to run my fingers down the table or chairs. My wife hates the place, but I like some of the spicy food they have and every once in a while she agrees to go with me. Families are fine there, especially Korean or Asian families. More like a dive bar that you would experience while traveling from work in a small city. Does not seem like it belongs in the middle of Newton. Plenty of parking, but sometimes it does fill up. Take out is available.

• Visited January 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
“Very good sushi and Korean bbq”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This is the second time in two weeks my husband and I along with friends have had dinner at Apgujung. Two weeks ago it was 4 of us, this past weekend it was 8 of us. We likeed it so much the first time we recommended it to our friends for a casual night out a week later. The sushi is quite good (and we are veteran sushi eaters - 25 yrs and counting). Amazing specialty rolls (we ordered every single one on the menu). The sashimi was very good as well. Excellent cuts of tuna, white tuna and salmon. We also ordered Korean Bulgogi and short ribs which we cooked on the grill, that was fun and delicious. Our waitress was friendly and efficient. We were there on a Saturday night and by 9:15 or so we seemed to be the only ones left. It was great, because we could linger on and talk and enjoy each others company without feeling rushed (they are open till 11:00) and we could work our way throught the mountains of food we had ordered at our own pace. We'll definitely be back soon.

• Visited June 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great neighborhood spot”
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Nice menu with korean BBQ (you cook at the table) sushi and Japanese standards. Almost full at 6:30 on a Saturday night, so obviously a good reputation. Tempura was delicious and sushi was quite tasty. Very friendly service and fast! Kid-friendly.

1 Thank sfbarb