“Excellent Asian food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
newton,ma
“Excellent Asian food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

I have noted the opening of this restaurant with anticipation, and concern. The location has not been a good one for restaurants in the past several successions. I hope that is not the case for Jean and Lee, as the food was excellent.
I was having my weekly attack of "I need some spicy Asian food, well after the 3 PM luncheon menu cut off time. I was greeted warmly, even though it was 3:30.
The staff were warm and friendly. I ordered a la carte-the food was prepared to order and was so delicious-Taiwanese Sausage Fried Rice, which I had not had before, altho' I have purchased this sausage in Chinatown in former year-. It was a delicious combination-the sausage is sweet and gives a great flavor to the rice; Eggplant with Basil leaves-phenomenally good-I love Eggplant, anyway; and Chicken with Broccoli was also quite good. Next time I plan to order from the "authentic Taiwanese" section of the menu. I brought some home to my husband to share in the delicious tasting food. He enjoyed it also.
The food was very flavorful without being too salty. I have found that some Chinese restos are attempting to serve healthier food with less salt and fat content, but the usual delicious flavor of the Asian food is being lost, and sauces taste watery-not the case here.
I do hope this resto will be successful in this location, as the Upper Falls needs a good Asian restaurant.
N.B, Jean and Lee do not have a liquor license at the moment, but have applied for the transfer of the previous owner's license which they will hopefully have before long.

Boston, MA
“Excellent new Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

Looking for a new place for Chinese, try Jean and Lee Kitchen. The food was excellent with deep, rich flavors, not the standard Chinese. We had the Hot and Sour soup which was quite good, the only issue was it could have been a bit hotter (temp.). Then we had dumplings, thin shell with flavorful meat filling and the best part was the sauce. Our main dish was Shrimp and broccoli with ginger sauce. The shrimp was fresh; veggies were perfectly cooked, and the sauce again was outstanding. It's worth a visit to this new spot.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Boston, MA
“A great new restaurant in the neighborhood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

We've lived here for a few years and have been on the look out for good Chinese food; I think we've found it.

We ordered take out; the person we talked with on the phone was friendly and helpful and I found the same thing when we went in to pick-up the order.

But friendliness wouldn't mean much if the food wasn't good. That isn't the case here; the food is great. Everything is fresh and hand-made. The lo-mein had amazing flavors, with great thick noodles. The chive dumplings had a great vibrant taste and the dipping sauce popped.

My wife is a stickler for good Chinese food; the next night, I overheard her telling her friend about how great this place is; that is a very good sign.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Beginners blues”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

I was looking forward to a new restaurant in our area, but unfortunately this was a disappointment. We just did takeout, four dishes, and two were not what we ordered. Food was ok, but not memorable, especially with all the competition in the area.

Visited March 2014
Newton, Mass
“Finally, good Chinese in Newton Upper Falls”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

Delightful, friendly, inventive Taiwanese right next to the bike path. The noodle soup is the best. Combines the ambience of a local neighborhood place with the sophistication of Chinatown. Rumored to have great dim sum on weekends.

• Visited February 2014