“Just OK.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 255 Restaurants in Newton
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Langley Road
Description: You'll quickly see why The Boston Globe proclaimed “we've never been happier in our lives,” after an evening at The Capital Grille. Drawing from its New England roots, The Capital Grille’s relaxed elegance and style have become a trademark of the Boston area. Join us just east of the Atrium Mall and a million miles fromthe ordinary.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Just OK.”
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

We had eaten here before and remembered the steak as more tender and flavorful. Lobster cakes for starter quite good, but meats were nothing remarkable. Service was slow. I had to ask for more water 3 times. Desserts seemed pre-fab. Very expensive, so leaves a lot to be desired.

• Visited April 2013

Boston, MA.
“Consistently good”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

the steaks are always cooked to perfection and the bartender knows how to mix drinks very well. For a special meal, they certainly make you feel welcome and 'special'

Visited August 2012
Massachusetts, United States
“birthday bummer”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I am not sure what quite went right with my one and only trip to this restaurant. We were seated as far back and out of the way as was possible, my back was to the kitchen door and the activity through that door was not conducive to a relaxed experience. I ordered the steak and for the life of me could not find anything in it that was "exceptional". (and no I did not order my steak "well done".) Would I get dressed up and go to this "fine" restaurant again. NO! I dont care about the traffic through the kitchen door, or the out of the way seating if the food measured up to the place's reputation, it didnt.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Is this REALLY Longhorn steak??”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Capital Grille is owned by those same Darden Group folks that bring you Longhorn, and Red Lobster. Longhorn claims its steak is the same steak as Capital Grill but not aged. You get a lot of snickering and scoffing over that comment around here. While the quality of the Steaks are a significant step up from Longhorn and may lend doubt to Longhorn's claims, the quality is not outrageous. To a casual diner not used to steak houses, this may seem "over the top" , but in terms of its peers, its is probably just over the middle of the pack. Service has been spotty here, with some visits showing quite good service and others rivaling Denny's for a race to the bottom of the dish drain . The steaks are usually well done, but apparently I created some consternation on my last visit when I sent a steak back because it was seriously undercooked (for me) and tough. The waiter noted to me in the hallway that almost NO ONE sends their steaks back, but perhaps the level of expectation is so high that the diner can't believe how bad it was. (I have really no idea of the recidivism rate of the steaks here, but it was a chuckle to hear it.) The sides were standard steak house fare and well made. The coffee was very good, and dessert was standard upscale restaurant fare. All in all an ok to good meal, but not great.

• Visited February 2013
7 Thank Belgedoc1
Bridgewater, MA
“Falling down”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Had enjoyed this location in the past, but my last two trips, one for lunch (2), one for dinner (6) it was terrible. The poorly trained and inattentive waitstaff took forever to get our order (no ownership of the table between the two people "sharing" responsibility for it - maybe they each assumed the other was doing his/her job). They brought the wrong food when the order arrived, and had gotten one of our orders wrong. Zero attempt to make up for this mistake. I have a $200 gift card, I think I'm going to sell it on Craigslist rather than go back.

• Visited February 2013