“Good, but won't rush back”
Review of Sycamore

Sycamore
Reserve with OpenTable
Sycamore is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 273 Restaurants in Newton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 21, 2013

It was a first visit to the Sycamore restaurant, which opened a few months ago in Newton Center and has built a fine reputation. Reception and seating were pleasant, and we had plenty of attention from the abundant and friendly staff, but were distracted by loud music. A mixed green salad came with a dressing that was quite salty. We were served a slice of bread, a hearty sourdough; the emptied bread plates and butter were removed before the entrée arrived, indicating there would not be a second slice. Swordfish was cooked just as requested, over spinach and a substantial Romesco sauce, and topped with braised leeks; their lower seasoning/salt level was welcome. A glass of the house Riesling was a pleasant accompaniment. The beignet desert, served on “milk jam” – a dulce de leche – was a balancing sweet and light finish. Decaf coffee was robust in taste if not in size; no refill was offered. A good addition to Newton Center choices, but not amazing.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Maybe there was too much hype but I was a little disappointed by Sycamore. I arrived early with a friend for our reservation to have a drink at the bar, but it's very small and filled with people eating that you really can't have a drink there. Luckily our table was open and they were kind enough to seat us early so we didn't have to hover over those seated at the bar. The cocktail menu is great, but a little on the pricey side for the space/location.

It was a very hot evening so my friends and I opted for lighter choices. The bluefish pate and the salt cod croquettes are must haves and very yummy! We all had a salad and appetizer as our meals, the pate was solid but not extraordinary, one member fo our party had the octopus and enjoyed it, the other had a fish special appetizer and said it was good as well.

Based on other reviews we shared the beignets and they did not disappoint! Light as air with dipping sauce on the side, we could have eaten dozens....

The dining room is very small but we enjoyed the glassed in view of the kitchen - a nice alternative to the open air kitchen which can be noisy. Service was good and the wine list solid.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

First of all, we'd been trying to get to this place for a while, but they never had reservations available online. I just read someone else's post that said they hold half their tables for walk-ins, which I am not sure is true or not. That said, we knew we had a free night, and reserved close to a month in advance.
Service, decor, and ambiance were all great.
Our appetizer of pea and ricotta ravioli was good, but not outstanding, and while lovely aesthetically, was small and not worth $12.
Our entrees were great. I got the only vegetarian one, the spring bean cassoulet, and it was really nice. My boyfriend had the bluefish and also quite enjoyed it.
Dessert sounded good, but we skipped it and went for frozen yogurt next door.

All in all, good, but not totally amazing, nor worth the long wait for a reservation, or the somewhat steep prices.

1  Thank waterangel21
Reviewed June 10, 2013

What a fabulous meal we had at this very trendy restaurant in Newton. I can't say enough about the incredible service and phenomenal food. The ambiance is warm, the gourmet menu, unique. It is definitely a full experience to go to Sycamore. The chef and owner, David Punch is always seen coming out of the kitchen and talking to his diners. It is easy for all diners to see into the kitchen and watch the chefs busily preparing meals through the glass window. Chef David makes everyone feel special. I have never experienced a staff so knowledgeable, professional and friendly. They cater to all your needs and make wonderful recommendations with food AND wine and they won't disappoint.

We started out with fresh green garbanzo hummus with toasted baguettes that was fabulous and english pea & ricotta ravioli…pistachios, chive blossoms & herb emulsion. Oh my god....we practically licked our plates! We followed that with house-smoked trout, red beets, fingerlings, farm egg, with a mustard vinaigrette that had such fresh flavors and also tasted their littleneck clams “casino that were tender and yummy.

For the main course we shared their "pig board" that consisted of crispy strips of pig ears, and seared and braised pork. It was heavenly and those pig ears are addictive!!!! You will want MORE!

And what would a fantastic meal be without desserts? We chose the soft warm sugared beignets with house-made milk jam and a devil’s food cake with roasted cherries and dark chocolate sorbet with some expresso (I think) that was heavenly. The textures and flavors of our whole meal were perfectly married and we left sated and HAPPY, HAPPY HAPPY! We can't wait to return on our next visit to Newton! It will be my favorite restaurant to go to in the Boston area!

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Starting with the host, all staff members we encountered with friendly, knowledgable, helpful, professional. We couldn't get a reservation at this small new restaurant but were told they hold half their tables for walkins, so we gave a try and were successful. We shared a "pig board"- omg! Farm to table is their theme, and this Brambly Farms pig was served on one wooden board four different ways: crispy, braised, seared and roasted. The crispy pig ear salad was amazing, and I was a little scared of that beforehand. A super cocktail with rhubarb somehow infused was really special. I hope they find a place to house a capuccino/espresso maker, and it would be perfect. Can't wait to go back.