“Great food in the suburbs”
Review of Farmstead Table

Farmstead Table
Reserve with OpenTable
Farmstead Table is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 255 Restaurants in Newton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Across from the Newton Centre stop on the D line
boston
“Great food in the suburbs”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is a quaint little restaurant on Union St. in Newton Center. We had a reservation and were seated right a way. The staff was excellent. The service was just right. We didn't have to wait more than an appropriate time for our first course. I had the eggplant vegetable dish which was delicious. My husband had the rib eye steak which was also delicious. Portion sizes were great. It was really nice to be casually dressed, have a great dinner without having to go to downtown Boston.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank kitty070

New England
“Good but they can do better”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I ate lunch here twice in the span of two weeks. The atmosphere is extremely charming - very simple, farm-modernist-chic (did I just coin a new interior design term??). Both days, the soup of the day was tomato and both days, the fish of the day was swordfish. I asked about this, and in the week between my visits, they had other soups and other fish, I just happened to get the same both visits, which was disappointing as the tomato soup was excellent, but I wanted to try something else, and swordfish frankly leaves me cold, I'm so over it, it's so mid-90s to me. I was really hoping for cod or bass or salmon, boo, not to be. The food is very good but not all that SEASONED.......I'm wondering if the chef is going for a farm thing with it, like what the family on a farm would eat every night, midwestern in flavor profile, yes, ELEVATED for sure, but still homey, nothing exotic, nothing that really sticks out as packing a punch. (No salt on the sweet potato fries, really?? and, no salt or pepper on the table, the chef is that confident, so I had to ask for salt) The farmhouse cheddar cheese sandwich was excellent - arugula pesto, delish, and the spelt bread was wonderful. This I did think was quite special as far as an elevated grilled cheese sandwich goes. The service was meh. When I have to ask to have my water glass refilled, eh, that, I don't like in a place like this where I am paying $8 for a CUP of soup and an additional $2 to add tomato slices to my $14 grilled cheese sandwich DID YOU CATCH THAT, $14 for a grilled cheese with $2 extra for a few slices of tomato, now it's a $16 grilled cheese - ya, for those prices, I expect really good service. The service both days, two different servers, was perfunctory. The servers had a job to do, they kind of did it, with my assistance, but I am not sure they were thrilled about it. I expect more from a restaurant that clearly is aiming for a higher bar, a goal I believe it can make, but a few tweeks need to be made. One thing for sure, the farm-modernist-chic interior is darn cool!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank lexmiller
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fresh and interesting”
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Farm to table. Interesting and flavorful combinations of beef fish and poultry dishes with wonderful vegetable sides. The veggies won. Thought the service was very friendly, but a bit slow. Dessert was a non event. Nice but small atmosphere. You definitely need a reservation. Don't go hungry, portions are small.

Visited June 2013
boston
“Nice atmosphere, relaxing - fresh food, some blandness”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

It was a pleasure spending a leisurely dinner here with a friend. The decor and atmosphere are clean and natural, and the service, very attentive and accommodating. The Burrata appetizer was excellent! The Fish of the Day (filet) I ordered tasted fresh but bland. My friend had the same dish with scallops and enjoyed it more.

• Visited May 2013
Brookline
“Pleasant dining at Farmstead Table”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

After not being able to get reservations in the winter, we finally snagged a res last night. The atmosphere I'd cheerful and pleasant. The food was very good, but menu was similar to thers. I was expecting more highlighting of aim of the restaurant farm to table mission

We shared a very tasty beet salad and I had very nicely prepared scallops. My fiancé had the lamb burger which he liked but said cognac bistro's same offering bet this one,

Nice beer selection but short wine listen

I would go back for another pleasant evening, but frankly not sure why all the fuss was about.,

• Visited May 2013