“Decent food but a hassle to get it”

New England Soup Factory
Ranked #30 of 263 Restaurants in Newton
Cuisines: Soups
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Each time I eat here, I am thrown by the ordering process. Part of it is due to the interior space (it's a long, skinny space) - there is really no place to stand while you're waiting for your food. You don't pay before you have it in hand, so as a result, if you order something that takes a bit, the line bunches up around you. At lunchtime, this can be a production. On my most recent visit (noon on a weekday) they were out of chickens for the chicken salad sandwiches and needed to make more on the rotisserie. How can you be out at lunchtime?! It just seems like they don't really have it entirely together.

The food itself is pretty tasty. The chili pie (which is actually a soup) is SPICY! It's also massive - way too much food. I wish there had been more avocado to cool it down. The sides are very tasty - the mashed potatoes and creamed spinach were delicious.

If I REALLY felt like soup, I might return, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here again.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I've never had any soup here that wasn't fantastic. The sandwiches are OK, and the salads are better than you might expect (especially the marinated beet salad, which I love), but the soup is the main attraction here. Italian Beef Stew, which I think they have every day during the cold weather months, is phenomenally good. And I love their daily specials-- any time they have their split pea with lemon, I make it a point to get it. If you're in the neighborhood, this is absolutely the best place to eat!

Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

I grabbed a cracked pepper Cobb salad and a quart of soup to go. The soup was tasty -- a simple chicken soup -- but the salad was a problem. It appeared it had been packed days before; the lettuce under the surface was rotting. And there was a big black eyelash either in the salad or the dressing and it found its way onto my plate -- and not from my eyelid. I won't be going back to New England Soup Factory.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stopped by for lunch. Had one of their "standard" soups, the Clam and Corn Chowder. It was delicious -- lots of chunks of clam, crisp crunchy corn, fabulous broth.

Also ordered a combo with a Caesar salad. As I'd ordered it "to go", the dressing and croutons were packaged separately, which was a nice touch. Everything stayed crisp and fresh when I assembled it later to eat -- unlike the soggy Caesar-to-go you can sometimes end up with elsewhere.

Their selection of soups (looked like about 7 regular and 5 daily-rotating features) made the ordering choice very difficult. I'm planning to go back later this week to try another one :-)

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Too crowded during lunch time at times. Might not get place to sit. But that said, fast service and good collection of food.