“Staff walked out”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Apparently one server didn't show up 20 minutes before the start of her shift, which left two frazzled servers. Midway through the evening one of those servers left: she greeted us, took our order, and after waiting a while the other server told us the first one had left and she would serve us. Needless to say it was a very long evening. Fortunately, the food was actually quite good (and, surprisingly, at the right temp when served!) but the whole restaurant suffered from the lack of service. The hostess was put to work...the manager couldn't clear tables...a real mess.
Even with the great value of a Groupon (I think every single party had one),, I won't be back.

2  Thank TKS1227

Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

The food was poorly prepared and luke warm. Waitress was wonderful: not sure why she is working at this place. We came because we had good memories of the original South End location, but only the name remains the same. Awful.

1  Thank FQTVLR
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We ate here on a Tuesday evening and it was not crowded. The appetizer came quickly and was tasty, but we had to wait 45 more minutes for the entrees. This was really inexcusable given the number of people dining. The waitress was sweet and attentive and the source of the problem was clearly in the kitchen. My entree, cioppino, was very good, but I was disappointed that there was only one shrimp. The chocolate dessert was delicious.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

we have eaten here quite a few times over the years. Our last two visits were very disappointing. We gave it a 2nd chance on june 4 or 6th. My meal was very bad and I ate only about 2 bites (pasta and chicken), my wife's meal was at best ok. That added to the very poor service sealed the deal for us---WE WILL NOT RETURN...
Jump forward one month. I had used a groupon for our june meal, so what would the meal cost be---$20 or $40 at the most?? Imagine my shock when I opened my Visa bill and FOUND THAT I HAD BEEN CHARGED $2300.

I CALLED THE RESTAURANT AND ASKED TO SPEAK TO THE MANAGER. They could not find him. I left a message explaining the problem and asked for a call back. No return call. I called a week later at dinner time and same thing happened---'we don't know where he is...' I left another call back. At this point I decided to dispute the bill with Citibank. Almost 2 months later and it is still not solved, although I have received a provisional credit for $2260.

I was shocked to read today that at least one other party has also recently been way overcharged for their visit to this restaurant. SOMETHING IS AMISS HERE.

I also note that groupons are still available and being sold. My advise, GO ELSEWHERE or pay cash if you must visit this establishment.

1  Thank robert k
Reviewed August 23, 2013

After seeing recent reviews I was very worried about our reservations at this restaurant. We had been years ago, and liked it. Our twin nephews had a birthday coming up, and they loved Italian food. So like so many others, I bought a Groupon.

I have to say it was really wonderful. The server couldn't have been more attentive. The food, from the bruschetta appetizer to the gnocchi, capellini with fresh tomatoes, and cioppino in a delicious seafood broth were all well cooked (and not overcooked.) What most impressed us, however, was how fresh everything was, just as we have always thought the best Italian food should be. We will go again for sure--without the Groupon.