“Good?”

Cafe Sol Azteca
Ranked #54 of 257 Restaurants in Newton
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: Tucked in a corner alleyway of Newton Center, Cafe Sol Azteca is a cozy and enchanting authentic Mexican mainstay for over 20 years. Featuring cuisine from the Mexico's capital you'll be won over by their cilantro and mole sauces that will make you think you just stepped back into the old country. A full bar features the classic requests of sangria, margaritas, and cervezas while adding plenty more like Mezcal drinks and their "to die for" Mango Mojitos. Nightly chef specials along with an extensive traditional and specialty menu leave your taste buds with plenty to experience. Catch them in the warm weather and join them on their outdoor patio featured on local television programs as the place to be.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good?”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stumbled upon this restaurant while trying to discover some new restaurants in our area. On a summer Saturday night, the outdoor space is enchanting. Atmosphere is very quaint and the food more than decent. We didn't really want to spend too much money so we ordered two appetizers which seemed to be more than enough food for us. When we went to order, the server said since we weren't ordering entrees he would have to charge us $8.95 for the chips and salsa (which we did not order, they just brought) Ok, my husband ordered an entree and I stuck with the appetizer, which I could not finish, very rich. Anyway, the food was good, the service was ok but the disturbing thing to me was that people around us were complaining left and right about one thing or another. For example, the people next to us ordered Sangria. It looked cloudy and odd to me, but whatever. The server argued back. The patron went down to the owner and complained. The sangria stayed. What restaurant does this? If a customer does not like something, take it away, correct? I don't know, the food was good, but the message is behave yourself?

• Visited July 2012

London, United Kingdom
“Owner needs to realise his customers provide his living”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We went to sol azteca knowing what kind of restaurant it was and therefore the food was as expected and served by our server well and with humour and charm, however, the owner who greeted us was rude, dismissive and uncaring so much so that I confronted him after the meal and told him in a very nice way. He responded in the same dismissive manor.

There is no excuse for total rudeness by a proprietor so if you go to this restaurant, be aware

• Visited June 2012
Newton, Massachusetts
“Upscale Mexican”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Nicer option to some of the plain Mexican options about.
Nice patio area.

Newton, Massachusetts
“Been here more than any other restaurant”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This is a great local restaurant with authentic Mexican/Spanish food. I have been going here for almost 20 years and probably average 1-2x per month. I have never been disappointed with the food and have sampled virtually every dish, save for the fish. Outdoor seating is wonderful in the summer, however, dining inside in the winter is equally nice with the warm yellow glow of the lighting complementing mosaic tables and brick walls. It is a nice hideaway from the elements, albeit small. Margaritas are excellent, my favorite the cadillac but also the sangria. Portions on combination plates are large and the combination azteca with three selections for the most hungry. some of my favorites tacos rancheros, carne asada, puerco en adobo, chile relleno and chilaquiles. wait staff including the owners are always great. It is a true family affair. If you find a special you like, I have also found them amenable to making it when it is not on special. I have introduced many to the restaurant, none whom have been disappointed. I gave it five because how could I give it anything else after being there so often?!

• Visited May 2012
Needham, Massachusetts
“Nice outdoor patio”
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Very good Mexican food with a great outdoor patio (in season). Been there several times and always enjoyed it.