“Get what you pay for - good value for money”
Review of Rox Diner

Rox Diner
Ranked #23 of 273 Restaurants in Newton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We keep going back to this diner. The prices are reasonable and the quality great, when done correctly. Sometimes I have to send the order back because it wasn't done correctly. The sweet potato fries, burgers and lobster dishes are great. Breakfas all day can't be beat. The bad thing though is the front desk. Once I sat there while they kept seating others but the manager was extremely apologetic. This is a diner after all.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Four of us had breakfast at the Rox recently. What a kick that the old KFC is now a hip, happening eatery in Newtonville. Our meals were very good, but the best part occurred when we told the waitress that one of us was gluten-intolerant. Within minutes, chef Bruce Harris was at our table, inquiring about our needs and helping us choose breakfast. But wait--there's more! When we asked for some salsa, like a genie from a magic lamp he appeared again, this time offering to bring "a little something." That turned out to be a delicious accompaniment of tomatoes and vegetables that far outdistanced plain old salsa. Wow, were we impressed. It's about time that Newton had a really good breakfast option. Hooray!

2  Thank rockcreekgirl
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Typical diner fare "kicked up" a notch with local ingredients. Was it special? Not really. Was it tasty? Sure.

I had the Boston Scrambler- local scrambled eggs with Virginia baked ham and Swiss cheese. My dining companion had egg Benedict with hash. Both were served with red bliss home fries. Mine came with Foranax sourdough bread heavily buttered. The coffee was weak and a tad cold. I was glad to have an option of cream or milk. The orange juice, fresh squeezed for $4.75 a glass (perhaps 8-12 oz.). I wondered if the charge is so high due to their fancy Zumex orange juice extractor machine. Either way, for $45 with tip we were stuffed and couldn't finish our food.

I was a bit grossed out by the consistency of my eggs after a few minutes. They cooled and became almost mushy in a weird indescribably way.

The decor was pleasant on the eyes. Large pieces of urban inspired artwork. The waitress was quick and readily available when we needed her. At noon, when we dined the place was filled with many older people, possibly retirees. Not that it bothered us. Just seems like a local place for that demographic group to hang out since it seemed they all knew one another.

3  Thank Belle1025
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Good varied menu with experienced staff that are efficient and very pleasant. Although crowded during a summer lunchtime crush we were seated in a reasonable time given the odd number in our party.

1  Thank edwaterman
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Cute place. Quite a line after 10 am on Sunday - not worth waiting in line but I can't imagine what omelette is... Organic eggs are used and omelette was cooked perfectly! I would definetly return - 4 stars only bc a little pricey. W tip it was $20/person for an omelette and a juice. Plenty of street parking on Sunday am. Lunch and dinner menu looked very good.

Been to Rox Diner? Share your experiences!